Elliptical

Options
What type of combination of resistance, incline, and RPM do you use when using the elliptical?

I have a precor elliptical and do 40-60 minutes at a resistance level of 12 (1-20) using the gluteal program with an incline of 8-13.

My RPM are typically in the 60s.

Is this a good workout? I don't feel like it is very intense, but have been doing this for years.

I am female and 130 lbs.

Replies

• PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I was in the gym, I used the elliptical alot. When it started feeling easier, I increased the intensity. On days I didn't feel so well, I decreased the intensity until I felt better. Only you know what you can do :-)
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Is this a good workout? I don't feel like it is very intense, but have been doing this for years.

If you've been doing it for years, is it providing the effect you want? If so, then yes intensity level is perfect. If no, then you must up intensity level. Comparing stats with someone else (or even an average) is not going to do you much good. It's only a good workout if it works for you.
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Who cares about the resistance level or the incline? Are you sweating? Are you monitoring your heart rate? Are you still able to sing a song 10 minutes in to your workout? (you shouldn't be able to)

I do interval training on the elliptical when the songs change on my ipod. I have a heart rate monitor on when I exercise and alternate between zone 2 and zone 3 and adjust either the resistance or the incline to get to that heartbeat level. When I burned the calories I wanted to burn, I stop. Over the years I have needed to increase the resistance a lot to get to zone 3 on my monitor. When I was 80lbs heavier, it didn't take much to get my heart pumping and the resistance was on 6 or 7. Now that sucker has to be on 12 or 13 to get into zone 3 heartbeat.