honey how annoying

Options

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I thought this was another spouse bashing thread.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

Me too, or a thread started by Rick Moranis.....

HoneyShrunkKids.jpg
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Oh bother.
    h648D9752
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Um.

I think if you like it just use it.

This. Plan for it and enjoy life. I had 42g of honey in 120g of Greek yogurt last night. That components of that snack were both healthy as was the sum of its parts. Being high in calories or being high in sugar does not make a food unhealthy. However, thinking it does is a good way to have an unhealthy view of food.

I thought the same.
  • grannykaren57
    Options
    I didn't read it that way.. guess it is my mindset ... glass full kinda thing...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    So annoyed I never realized how many calories were in such a small amount of honey.

Been making a sauce for dinner tonight to discover there's 68 calories in 20g of honey, I am surprised but not to the point I need to re make another sauce tonight but tomorrow will adapt to make a healthier sauce.

Anyone know a low calorie honey?
    I'm in Australia

I use honey all the time in my sauces and marinades. I don't think 67 calories is a large amount at all. I'm really confused actually. Especially if you're cooking for more than one.

I guess if it bothers you that much, you could find an alternative. I'm just not a fan of labeling foods "bad" or whatever.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    LOL @ using prunes instead of honey to save 20 calories
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    If you are using 20g honey at 68cal in your sauce. I imaging you are making at least a 4 serving sauce...so 68 divided by 4 is so minimal its barely worth worrying about...enjoy it.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If its low calorie honey, it isn't honey. It would have to be artificial. I've seen recipes for sugar free maple syrup, but never honey.

All the foods that are bad for you are high in calories.

Honey isn't bad for you
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Skinny Bees + sucking down on skinny flowers = less sugar in their poop = lower calorie honey.

There ya go....
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Skinny Bees + sucking down on skinny flowers = less sugar in their poop = lower calorie honey.

There ya go....

Honey isn't bee poop. It's more like vomit. Yummy yummy bee vomit. I eat it with a spoon.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Just eat the honey. Bees work really hard to make it so yummy. Peanut butter would be lonely without it and so would ma heart.

I love this response.
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you can get it, I think locally produced honey sold at a farmers' market would be your best bet.

Honey is sugary because the nectar bees use to make honey is a sugar. That's not going to change no matter the source. That's just the way it is. I think demonizing sugar is silly. Like all foods, eat it in moderation, and you should be fine. A health condition like diabetes would be about the only exception, but let your doctor make that determination.

The big benefit of locally produced honey is that it can help a person build immunity to local allergens. I don't know if store bought processed honey has added sugar, but local honey doesn't have added sugar so far as I know. I'd consider that fact a secondary health benefit.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    She said that there are 68 calories in 20 g of honey, not that she only needed 20 g of honey. She probably just stated it that way because that is how it is listed on the nutrition label. I only have one recipe for sauce with honey and it uses 1/2 a cup which is around 500 calories and even divided among four people, that is a significant amount of calories. That would by why I haven't make said recipe in a long time even though it is one of our family's favorites.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    LOL @ using prunes instead of honey to save 20 calories

That could be a sticky situation!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If its low calorie honey, it isn't honey. It would have to be artificial. I've seen recipes for sugar free maple syrup, but never honey.

All the foods that are bad for you are high in calories.

Honey isn't bad for you

Thank you. Antioxidants and natural sugars courtesy of nature? Yes, please. Get it local and it's supporting local farmers, contributing less transportation related pollution, fair trade, and unrefined. Cool. I use honey sticks to fuel me when running more than 6 miles. It's not bad for you. It's just an energy source.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options

There ya go....

Honey isn't bee poop. It's more like vomit. Yummy yummy bee vomit. I eat it with a spoon.

:laugh: :laugh: Regurgitation should take even MORE calories out of a skinny bulimic bee!!!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    While it's high in sugar, honey is amazing for you. Raw honey is even better for you. It's more calories per gram since there's no water added (honey companies won't tell you they add water, but if it's sold in the grocery store and flows like syrup, it's been heated and watered down), but it's so much stronger a flavor that you won't need to use as much. Find out about local honey farms, they'll sell the best quality raw honey. I'm lucky to live a few blocks from a local honey farm owned and run by my state's leading bee expert.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Use half the honey in the sauce. And then one fourth the next time. Eventually you will get used to not having the honey at all.

Seriously - excellent technique.