Vegetarian/Pescatarian recipes for the broke?

Options
Hi. I've been a vegetarian for about a month now (long enough to finally have spelling vegetarian correctly without stopping to think about it.) I will eat seafood but besides the fact that I don't want to eat an animal, (mini-vegetarian rant: especially one whose whole life was being force fed before slaughter) I just don't LIKE meat. Fish is one thing because I actually go fishing and if I catch a red fish, by god I'm cooking it and serving it with "chips" (fries) and lots of vinegar! Anyway, I have to keep my sodium in check and I really need to be eating enough protein. I live with two big boys, one of which is the love of m life, who love their meat. We are in our twenties, getting ready to move AND go to school, so you can imagine our budget. (about 60 per week for both my boyfriend and I.)

I need recipes that are cheap, don't take forever, can be kept in the fridge or freezer after they are made, and provide enough protein to keep me from eating everything in the house. Preferably stuff that's easy enough to make as lunches when we end up making two dinners because he needs his meat.

Thanks.

Also- any tips from vegetarians are appreciated.

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    It's tough. You might want to invest in a slow cooker if you don't have one. Handy for when you can't stand over a stove.

Also beans. Lots of different types of beans. They're one of the few cheap foods I can find. And they have protein. I'm making hummus with coconut oil today and having it with black beans, onions, jalapeno peppers, green onion, and mushrooms. It wasn't cheap getting all the ingredients, but it's a big batch of food that should last five or six days.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    salad/veggies seem to me to be the obvious answer. Look up what's in season where you live (google it and you'll find some lists) and they will be cheaper.

Also as the above poster said, beans/pulses are cheap. With chickpeas you can make falafel and hummus. I made some really good baked falafels recently, and after googling tons of varying recipes, I found the simplest way was the best. I used:

400g (240g drained) tin of chickpeas
    1/2 a red onion
    1 large garlic clove (adjust to your taste)
    Some fresh coriander (cilantro in the us) or you could use fresh parsley as well/instead (I picked it from the garden so not sure if this is expensive to buy, dry will be fine.)
    1/2tsp ground coriander
    1/2tsp ground cumin
    1/8-1/4tsp cayenne pepper/chilli powder if you like things hot

Put all in a blender and blend until a lumpy paste just moist enough to form into balls - you can add a bit of lemon juice/oil if too dry or a bit of flour if too wet, although I didn't need to.

form into balls and flatten them a bit, spray a little oil on a baking sheet and bake at 200-220C for about 30mins (turn over halfway) and serve with salad, sauteed veg, pittas and hummus, or whatever you want! This made 2 portions for me.

If you google 'frugal vegetarian' a ton of blogs will come up with veggie recipes using cheap ingredients!
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Do you like miso soup? I put lots of beans, udom noodles, tofu.Just make a big pot of it.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a vegan and I can already give you the cheapest things I buy:
    Rice
    Bananas
    Frozen veg

Everything else I buy when there's a special or on sale, including spices.
    Slow cooker is really good for dried beans.

Also if you are THAT worried about protein you can use wheat gluten flour (pure protein) and make your own seitan easily. Just mix it with water and throw it in the pot with some broth mix and voila.
  • ladyofthelakeontario
    ladyofthelakeontario Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make falafel a lot. I get a mix because I'm culinarily challenged. I form some of the mix into falafel balls, and make veggie burgers with the other. I usually get 4 "burgers" and 10-12 balls out of one box (which costs $3-5 depending on where I can get it.)
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    In my town, there is a 99¢ Only Store that has fresh produce. It is great for fresh veggies and fruits - I have a smoothie a day with fresh strawberries, blueberries, bananas, mangos, etc. from the 99¢ Only Store. They also have beans and all sorts of condiments and seasonings. All for 99¢ only! It has definitely helped stretch my food budget. There are these stores all over California, and I see some cities in Nevada and Arizona listed.

http://www.99only.com/store-locator
  • Lizard__breath
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 5 years, my favourite go-tos were beans (any kind, just watch sodium for canned beans), chickpeas and portobello mushrooms. The mushrooms are especially good grilled, just dress it like you would a burger or steak.
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but I love vegetarian meals. I buy my beans dry to avoid sodium since it's something I have to avoid. Just make sure to prepare them as written on the package. Soaking them overnight is usually an option which can be a huge time saver.

I make a lot of healthy curries that I can freeze and pull out overnight. Ratatouille is a delicious and low calorie treat to add to pasta or rice. The veggies for that are very cheap right now. Eggplant is probably the most expensive, but it makes a lot, so it's worth it.

As you can guess by my username, I have a lot of recipe ideas. My local dollar store has a freezer sections (not sure where you are) and you can get bags of frozen peaches and mangos for one dollar each! I make smoothies, sorbets and salsas from them all the time. I also grow my own herbs and find that having free herbs adds a ton of flavor to all my foods. I grow some of my own veggies too and that helps a bit.

I love seafood. I buy whatever white fish is on sale for the week at my local grocery store and often bake the fish in a pouch with tomato salsa or seasoned veggies. Recently I made fish tacos from grilled tilapia, chipotle "mayo" (mostly greek yogurt with just enough mayo mixed in for flavor) corn tortillas, a healthy portion of cabbage and topped them with pineapple salsa. I look for canned pineapple canned in it's own juices when it goes on sale and buy it up. I have also made it with the cheap frozen mangoes. When I drain the pineapple, I save the juice for smoothies or... you know... the occasional blended alcoholic drink. ;)

Other than that, I "thin" out most of my sauces with blended carrots, celery and onions as well as other veggies. I make a sweet potato mac and cheese for my son but find myself eating a good bit of the sauce over steamed broccoli. I find myself getting creative and using the usually discarded parts of the veggies for other uses. The tops of carrots, celery, onion peels, garlic peels etc. go into my freezer. When I've stored up enough, I make a veggie broth (well I usually make chicken broth, but veggie broth is great too). Then you can make soup with it. I also take the stems from my broccoli to make broccoli soup. Things like that. Everything has at least two uses and I make almost everything from scratch. It saves me money but I have a lot of time to do those things.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    salad/veggies seem to me to be the obvious answer. Look up what's in season where you live (google it and you'll find some lists) and they will be cheaper.

Also as the above poster said, beans/pulses are cheap. With chickpeas you can make falafel and hummus. I made some really good baked falafels recently, and after googling tons of varying recipes, I found the simplest way was the best. I used:

400g (240g drained) tin of chickpeas
    1/2 a red onion
    1 large garlic clove (adjust to your taste)
    Some fresh coriander (cilantro in the us) or you could use fresh parsley as well/instead (I picked it from the garden so not sure if this is expensive to buy, dry will be fine.)
    1/2tsp ground coriander
    1/2tsp ground cumin
    1/8-1/4tsp cayenne pepper/chilli powder if you like things hot

Put all in a blender and blend until a lumpy paste just moist enough to form into balls - you can add a bit of lemon juice/oil if too dry or a bit of flour if too wet, although I didn't need to.

form into balls and flatten them a bit, spray a little oil on a baking sheet and bake at 200-220C for about 30mins (turn over halfway) and serve with salad, sauteed veg, pittas and hummus, or whatever you want! This made 2 portions for me.

If you google 'frugal vegetarian' a ton of blogs will come up with veggie recipes using cheap ingredients!

Bookmarking to try this!
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Here's one recipe for something that won't take a lot of time to prepare (although it takes a good bit of time on the slow cooker, but set it and forget it right?)

Veggie broth:
    1 onion quartered
    4 carrots roughly chopped
    4 stalks celery
    garlic to taste (I love garlic and add like 4 cloves, but this is up to you)
    any extra veggie scraps you have in the freezer or from other recipes. This is why I save mine.
    Salt if you want, you can add a small amount or nothing at all, as required.
    Black pepper to taste
    1-2 bay leaves
    Seasonings you prefer. I usually add basil and thyme but it depends on what you want to use the broth in.
    Add these all to your crockpot and fill it up with water. Start it on high then when hot, reduce it to the low setting and let it cook for many, many hours. I personally keep adding water and let it cook for 24 hours at least. The longer it cooks, the better the flavors that develop. When you're ready, strain the broth with a metal strainer and/or a cheese cloth. Be sure to really squeeze all that juice out! If you make a double or triple batch of broth it can be frozen and used later. (If i were vegetarian, I'd freeze it with ice cube trays so I can use it in place of meat broths or add in place of wine.)

For any non-vegetarians, I buy my chickens whole and either save all the bones in the freezer when I take it apart or roast the chicken and then add the carcass to the broth. In that case, I would roast all the ingredients together in the oven for an hour at 450 degree before adding to the pot with the broken down bones. You will want to strain the broth while hot, let it fully cool overnight, then skim the chicken fat off the top. I use the chicken fat to cook my veggies in before adding them to my chicken noodle soup)

Anyway, the next day, when the broth is ready, I make a tasty soup. A quick and easy one would be a veggie and blackbean soup.

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 medium onions chopped
    2 cloves garlic
    3 stalks celery
    2 medium carrots sliced into rounds
    1 can of corn drained. (you can replace the carrots and corn with a bag of frozen veggies of your choice to save time)
    4 cups veggie broth
    2 cans bean of choice rinsed (I love white beans or kidney)
    2 teaspoons basil
    1 teaspoon oregano
    2 bay leaves
    Salt and pepper to taste

Sautee the onion, celery and garlic in the olive oil until onions are just translucent. Add the other veggies and stir for a few minutes. Then add the broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Add the seasonings and beans. Let cook for 30 minutes. Can be served over rice or with pasta (I keep them on the side so they don't absorb all the liquid). This soup can be frozen. It can also be customized to however you like it!

I find soup to be the best thing to make when I am short on money and time. If I freeze a big batch, I can have lunch/dinner options for weeks.
  • jpt123
    jpt123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can make your own seitan. I'm not vegetarian, but I make it pretty frequently because it's really versatile. The wheat gluten can be expensive, but it goes a long way. I use post punk kitchen's recipe.

If you have an aldi near you, it's a great place for inexpensive fruits and veggies.

ETA: post punk kitchen also has a yummy, inexpensive chick pea cutlet recipe.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Check out the Budget Bytes blog. I regularly make several of her recipes including the hearty black bean quesadillas http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/02/hearty-black-bean-quesadillas/ which are easy to add slices of grilled chicken or steak to for the meat eaters. I can also recommend the taco seasoning recipe and the slow cooker beans she links to on that recipe.
    And she has a whole vegetarian section to her site.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Borrow Laurel's Kitchen from the library or get someone to buy it for you. Delicious vegetarian food that's not expensive.
    Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You should see how salmon are farmed. Or what happens when a fish gets foul-hooked and breaks the line.
  • jeneveg
    jeneveg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a vege/pesce too and one of my fave recipes is http://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/spicy-bean-and-sweet-potato-stew.html I sometimes sub out the sweet potato for butternut squash if I'm low on cals and it makes 6 decent size portions so I've always got some in the freezer to pull out if I'm short on time.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Green lentils are a godsend. Easy to cook, tasty, high in protein, high in dietary fiber. What's not to love.