Favorite Shopping Cart Items... Share your healthy staples?

Options
Hey Everyone,

I thought it might be a cool idea to share our favorite shopping cart items... in case we are looking for new things to try that are healthy and delicious! I do most of my shopping at Costco, Sprouts, and Trader Joe's.

Here's my list:
1. Sweet & Spicy Tea from Good Earth ($4.49 a box)
---Tastes so sweet, but only 3 calories, and much much healthier than diet soda! Has a strong cinnamon flavor.

2. Syntha-6 Protein Powder from BSN
---So tasty. 200 cals (22 protein, 4 sugar, 6 fat per serving) About $1 per serving.
I mix with my next favorite ingredient to increase the protein (egg whites)!

3. 100% Liquid Egg whites from Costco, Kirkland brand ($7.99 for 60 servings of 5 grams of protein)

4. Kirkland Energy Blend, the perfect snack! Has satisfying amounts of protein, fat, and carbs ($9)

5. Trader Joes refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough ($1.19)... fresh pizza dough that's ready to bake.
---Solve your craving a healthier way, or make a <20 mins dinner the kids will gobble up!

6. Kirkland (or Fage) 0% Fat Greek Yogurt ($6.89)--so much protein, so many uses!

7. Chosen Foods Avocado Oil ($9.99 for a large bottle at Costco).
---Avocado oil is actually healthier than extra virgin olive oil! The flavor is nutty and smooth, and I prefer it over olive oil in a lot of
recipes.

6. Perfect Bars (sprouts or costco in some areas)... healthy, whole food ingredients, a little high in carbs, but a satisfying meal
replacement! perfectfoodbars.com--so fresh they are found in the refrigerator section!

7. Spinach (obvious reasons)

8. Black Rice (bulk at Sprouts)... 6 grams of protein per serving in RICE?! Sign me up please! Also high in antioxidants.

9. Quinoa-- versatile grain that still has some protein

10. Chia seeds

11. Peanut Butter

12. Steel cut oats (and oat flour)

That's it for now... I'd love to hear what other people have found!!!

Replies

• almartinez2
    Options
    Avacados
    Tomatoes
    Cilantro
    Bananas
    Romaine Lettuce
    Snow Peas
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, vanilla greek yogurt, flax seed, any kind of fresh fruit
  • Petrusilly
    Petrusilly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Avacados
    Tomatoes
    Cilantro
    Bananas
    Romaine Lettuce
    Snow Peas

Someone must have told you all my favorite veggies!!! I like to blend and freeze cilantro cubes so I always have it on hand!!!
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Berries and potatoes are my favorite staples right now. I often will eat 3-4 bowl of berries these days as a dessert (especially with a few squares of dark chocolate) or as a snack and a generous portion of potatoes with most meals. Very satisfying. I buy whatever is in season; blueberries and blackberries are coming ripe now and I've been eating raspberries, cherries, and tayberries. I LOVE sweet potatoes just baked with cinnamon as a side dish. I bake as many as will fit on a cookie sheet, put them in the fridge and eat for days with 0 effort :-)
  • Petrusilly
    Options
    Berries and potatoes are my favorite staples right now. I often will eat 3-4 bowl of berries these days as a dessert (especially with a few squares of dark chocolate) or as a snack and a generous portion of potatoes with most meals. Very satisfying. I buy whatever is in season; blueberries and blackberries are coming ripe now and I've been eating raspberries, cherries, and tayberries. I LOVE sweet potatoes just baked with cinnamon as a side dish. I bake as many as will fit on a cookie sheet, put them in the fridge and eat for days with 0 effort :-)

SWEET POTATOES!!!! <<< So good. They don't really fit in with my lowish carb diet right now, but when I hit my goal weight... and costco starts carrying them again... I'mma get back on that STAT. Have you tried cooking them in the crock pot? I thought it was weird at first, but they taste delicious!!! http://paleomg.com/stupid-easy-perfectly-cooked-sweet-potatoes/
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,277 Member
    Options
    Apple
    avocados
    mangos
    Milton's whole grain bread
    Fage 0% yogurt
    frozen broccoli, spinach, and corn
    Coffee beans, cream, raw sugar (healthy for my soul and everyone that has to interact with me)
    PB
    Eggs
    Bacon (healthy! :wink:)
    1% cottage cheese
    Kern's chocolate coconut water
    40 calorie Almond breeze
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

SWEET POTATOES!!!! <<< So good. They don't really fit in with my lowish carb diet right now, but when I hit my goal weight... and costco starts carrying them again... I'mma get back on that STAT. Have you tried cooking them in the crock pot? I thought it was weird at first, but they taste delicious!!! http://paleomg.com/stupid-easy-perfectly-cooked-sweet-potatoes/

No I haven't- I'll have to try that though, it looks great!
  • Petrusilly
    Options
    Apple
    avocados
    mangos
    Milton's whole grain bread
    Fage 0% yogurt
    frozen broccoli, spinach, and corn
    Coffee beans, cream, raw sugar [bold](healthy for my soul and everyone that has to interact with me)[/bold]
    PB
    Eggs
    Bacon (healthy! :wink:)
    1% cottage cheese
    Kern's chocolate coconut water
    40 calorie Almond breeze

LOL! You are so funny :)... I actually should have added precooked bacon to my Costco items... it is a good source of protein and fat to have with my egg whites or to spice up any other dish too!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I cook from scratch a lot...

Every week:
    Cherry tomatoes
    Salmon
    Baby spinach
    Mangoes
    Bananas
    Potatoes
    Carrots
    Plain yogurt (Fage or Mountain HIgh)

Bi-weekly rotations:
    Kabocha squash
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Lettuce
    Shrimp
    Rice
    Apples
    Oranges
    Berries
    Sweet potato (all kinds)
    Bread (tortilla, pita pockets, or loaf)
    Soy milk
    Almond milk
    Cheese
    Coconut milk

Monthly rotations:
    Dried fruits like figs, dates, blueberries, etc.
    Peanut butter
    Jams
    Kimchi
    Umeboshi
    Pickled radish
    Water spinach
    Bok choy
    Eggplant

Rarely:
    Nuts and seeds (expensive! but does last me for a long time)
    Pork
    Chicken
    Beef
    Chocolate

And then there's the fruits and veggies from my backyard: plums, persimmons, asian pears, okra, basil herbs, pumpkin...
  • Petrusilly
    Options

No I haven't- I'll have to try that though, it looks great!

Awesome :)-- Although I don't eat Paleo, that blog has a ton of tasty and healthy recipes!
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoe/Yams in the crock pot are so easy, just put them in the pot, turn it on low, easy peasey!
  • Petrusilly
    Options

Every week:
    Cherry tomatoes
    Salmon
    Baby spinach
    Mangoes
    Bananas
    Potatoes
    Carrots

Bi-weekly rotations:
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Lettuce
    Shrimp
    Rice
    Apples
    Oranges
    Berries
    Sweet potato (all kinds)
    Soy milk
    Almond milk
    Cheese
    Coconut milk

Monthly rotations (they last me for quite a while):
    Peanut butter
    Jams

Rarely:
    Pork
    Chicken
    Beef
    Chocolate

This is a great list! nice job :)
  • Petrusilly
    Options
    Sweet potatoe/Yams in the crock pot are so easy, just put them in the pot, turn it on low, easy peasey!

And it makes the house smell like thanksgiving! mmmm!
  • jkolbe94
    jkolbe94 Posts: 23
    Options
    Bananas, fuji apples, quinoa, brown rice, black beans, red beans, rolled oats, and if I don't have a lot of greens, the green goodness smoothie from Bolthouse Farms.
  • Petrusilly
    Options

Every week:
    Cherry tomatoes
    Salmon
    Baby spinach
    Mangoes
    Bananas
    Potatoes
    Carrots

Bi-weekly rotations:
    Kabocha squash
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Lettuce
    Shrimp
    Rice
    Apples
    Oranges
    Berries
    Sweet potato (all kinds)
    Soy milk
    Almond milk
    Cheese
    Coconut milk

Monthly rotations:
    Peanut butter
    Jams
    Kimchi
    Umeboshi
    Pickled radish
    Water spinach
    Bok choy
    Eggplant

Rarely:
    Pork
    Chicken
    Beef
    Chocolate

And then there's the fruits and veggies from my backyard: plums, persimmons, asian pears, okra, basil herbs, pumpkin...

It just keeps getting better and better with the edits... I'm kind of in love with Kimchi now too...
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of shopping at Aldi. We are on a pretty tight budget. Some of my favs are:

tomatoes (can't wait for the ones in my garden to ripen)
    70% dark chocolate - comes in a 5 mini bar pack for $2. I eat a 1/2 a bar at a time
    canned diced tomatoes
    black beans
    eggs
    granny smith apples
    artisan lettuce $2 for 4 mini head of lettuce
    Kinkoman stir fry season packets - they have recipes on the back all made with fresh veggies.
    ground beef
    chicken breasts
    dried cranberries - for a sweet treat
  • jpt123
    jpt123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wine
    Egg whites
    Morningstar veggie burgers
    Sugar free dulce de leche pudding
    Chicken breast
    Lean ground beef