My "1 Year on MFP!" post (with pics)

Options
Today marks one year that I've been logging my food and exercise on this website. I have not reached my goal weight yet, but so much has changed in the last year that I thought I'd share.

Here's me about a year and a half ago, at 250 pounds (I'm 5'8"):
e89c26d2-3056-4226-b995-3156cd449ec7_zps0239c73e.jpg

I did a lot of sitting. Most of my work and hobbies could be done sitting. Eating, watching movies, knitting.

27a547f0-4c81-49ee-b7a2-072b22d27654_zpsef1f993d.jpg

My depression had gotten really bad after my kid was born, I didn't own a scale, and didn't really care about losing weight, so the weight crept up on me.

Then one day in January of 2013, a friend invited me out to ride her horse. OH MY GOD YES. I grew up riding horses, I am a card carrying horse nerd for lyfe y'all, but I hadn't ridden since before my son was born. Would my breeches still fit? Could her horse carry me? Yes and yes.

ad7c86c1-8bfc-4bd6-8fb3-6624f256ca9c_zpsfc6090b5.jpg

Unfortunately, I only lasted 10 minutes in the saddle before I pulled nearly every muscle in my lower body and felt like I was having a freaking heart attack. Ten. Minutes. Oh my god.

So there was my wake up call. A horse named Finn changed my life.

I decided to just start with running. Runners are fit, right? If I run, I'll eventually get good, and the weight will just fall right off. That's how it works, right? So I got the Couch to 5K app on my phone and obeyed the nice robot lady voice that told me when to walk and when to run. I kept at it through some pain and some hate, but something happened about 6 weeks in and a switch flipped in my brain. I loved running. I looked forward to it. This was great.

Unfortunately, I was still eating massive amounts of food, so the weight was not, in fact, dropping right off me. Dang it. I hated to admit it, but I needed to lose some weight. To get lighter so I could run faster and ride better. So, despite having quit dieting in a feminist rage back in the 90s, I got a scale and started on MFP. :grumble:

At first I just estimated a lot. I didn't have a food scale, and I bought convenience food groceries with food labels and serving sizes that could be easily logged. Not a lot of meals from scratch at first. It was easier for me that way.

By the fall of 2013, I had dropped 20 pounds. Yay!
76beb7c8-196b-4854-8366-131023db6421_zps08841540.jpg

I was starting to get fitter. My running got better. I started taking taekwondo classes twice a week.

60dfd9a6-ac21-4464-8647-a89f2f19fa78_zpsef308a65.jpg

I also felt confident enough to start riding again.
dc8195ef-d041-4c61-8568-81754edc6a5a_zpsd298d521.jpg

In February of this year, I got sick with endometritis (an acute infection). Plateaued/maintained for a month or so just above 200 pounds. It was frustrating. I was really sick for a while, but eventually able to resume working out, and was able to keep going with taekwondo.

424a1dd6-4811-4e26-bf53-648689e17ef6_zpscf5dd032.jpg

Lurking around on the forums and searching for plateau threads got me through my recovery. I had been trying to gross about 1700 calories per day, with daily workouts of running, aerobics, taekwondo, biking, swimming, and strength training. This led to binges which would erase my deficit. The scale went up and down.

I figured my TDEE and it was about 2800-3200 calories per day. So I decided to shoot for about 2300 daily, no matter how many calories MFP said I had left for the day. I bought a food scale and started weighing my food. (Man, was I wrong about a lot of portion sizes!)

The scale started going back down. At about 197, I was able to fit into my old riding breeches. The smaller ones.

fcd26062-2015-425e-b4b0-b6ffc72d7294_zps77f24c3a.jpg

May 1st of this year was my anniversary. 194. Size 12 dress. Cut my hair. Wearing Spanx and sucking it in...

578fcee3-0f87-4d67-8ac5-5a0fcfebdb8e_zps9a2cf51c.jpg

192. It's weird, but at this point, I'm starting to not recognize the reflection in the mirror. It's so weird. I don't look like I did. I've changed so much. In the last 10 years I've come to think of myself as the awesome fat chick, and now that the fat part has been taken out of the equation, then who am I? Hm.

29ff2f46-0286-4422-869b-82c026d4bc46_zps44d23478.jpg

At 187, I got myself a new taekwondo uniform because the old one was too big. I also earned my green belt.

6f1006d5-d538-4fc0-8b85-17be1de249e2_zps90ba0cbc.jpg

Now it's July, one year of counting calories, and I am down 67 pounds. I went from a tight size 18 to a loose size 12. From 250 pounds to 183.

7928e87b-8551-4340-a233-096f98242dfe_zps10015d1a.jpg

I want to get to 160, and at that point, I'll re-evaluate my goals. If it takes me another year to get there, so be it. I'd rather go slowly and have lots of food than try to lose fast anyway. I eat a lot and work out a lot and love it. Here's me after I kicked my husband's butt riding 13 miles on the bikes this morning (he's napping right now, bless his heart)...

69a11c2a-d779-4f15-b12b-b516b465b83b_zps4efebcee.jpg

So that brings us to now. Thanks MFP for helping me get here. :heart:

9953de85-41c7-4ca0-8d56-6152b111593e_zpse1189544.jpg

I hope the pics post nicely the first time (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease)...

Replies

• Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary!
    Congratulations on the green belt and horse riding and all the awesomeness in your life.
    You look terrific!

I recently went private with my diary because I found it easier to be honest that way. I ate what I wanted and recorded it all and realized that I needed a lot more calories than I thought to maintain this big ol' body of mine.
    That lead me to the revelation that I can EAT. I averaged 2173/day last week and still lost over 4 pounds.

So thank you for telling us your caloric intake. It helps to see other women about my height and starting point achieve success while eating more than what I thought I needed to.

Here's to reaching your ultimate goal! :drinker:
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I did TKD for years with my dad! I always love seeing someone else enjoying it!

Great job! :drinker:
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! what wonderful results :) Congrats to you!!! :)
  • chmtastic
    chmtastic Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    you look fantastic!!!!! congrats!!!!!!!
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Awesome story and great pictures! Congratulations on your achievement! (I love horses too).
  • kenphelan
    kenphelan Posts: 4
    Options
    Congratulations!! What an inspiring story! Enjoy the moment and keep on keeping on! And thanks for sharing!
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Your story is very inspiring! You look great and look like you're enjoying the journey :smile:
  • laurawiggs74
    laurawiggs74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story! Congrats on all your hard work and the amazing results. Keep it up!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Awesome - thanks for this - so motivating!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You should feel very proud. Quite an accomplishment!
  • tigrrrlilly
    Options
    I'm using my first forum post to say you are a great inspiration. I still consider myself an awesome fat grrrl, but hopefully next year I can drop one of those adjectives. :)
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You've done awesomely! Congratulations. You look great and it's wonderful to see the different activities you've been enjoying throughout the process.
  • sassynkp
    sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Congrats to you. Motivation and inspiration ????
  • anewstart1011
    anewstart1011 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! :happy:
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You look happy and strong :)
  • ElviraMarieCerri
    ElviraMarieCerri Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I have only been at it since the middle of June. I investigated weight loss surgery (the charts have me at morbidly obese, and I have a couple of co-morbidity conditions), and one of the requirements is 3 months worth of supervised dieting. I have lost some since then on he nutrtitionist's plan, but today I looked in the notebook she gave me, and it said one serving of nuts was 1/2 cup. (I read it 3 times, just to make sure). Ai-yi-yi! I recorded it here with the 1/2 c of cottage cheese and 5 olives for a snack , and the nuts alone come out to 553 calories! Oh well. This Atkins stuff is weird, but good!

Read your post and it cheered me up, since I was about to get bummed about the snack. Guess I'll just keep on doing what I have been and see if the weight keeps coming off before the surgery. I am really looking forward to the enforced portion control once I have it.

Keep on riding - that seems to be your magic wand! and Good Luck.
  • Juggernaut_D
    Juggernaut_D Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Great story of perseverance! You've become a completely different person, both physically and mentally! Way to go! I especially love the smile on your face in the last few pics - it says a lot about your amazing attitude!
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Love this! :flowerforyou:
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You look 15 years younger and so healthy. You were consistent and continue to be. Thanks for showing how it is done. WTG big time!
  • EvelineUK
    EvelineUK Posts: 97
    Options
    So nice to read a detailed story with lots of inbetween photos. Well done on losing the weight and sticking with it.
    Have to say I relate to where you said that a lot of your hobbies are the ones where you sit down.... ouchh...

Keep on riding!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!