Really hungry today!

Options
Hey.
Today I gave blood. Normally I can control my cravings. I was only supposed to have a cheat meal today. Anyways, after the blood was taken I ate a lot of chocolate, and then became extremely hungry after eating lunch.
Basically I've eaten enough for 4 people today ><!

The hunger has stopped now. But what's causing the hunger?! I normally can control it and what i eat through the day usually sustains me. But today. Nope. I felt like I needed a lot more.

I also didn't log today =\!

Replies

• mrscraddock
    Options
    Hi munchkin
    Well done for giving blood-you're supposed to feel really hungry afterwards!
    Don't forget your body has to make up that extra pint.
    A lot of blood doning centres actually supply fruit,sandwiches,biscuits etc for their donors
    keep up the good work-dieting and doning,I mean
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    you ate chocolate! its set off cravings as your blood sugar plummeted after the choc had gone thru you. Well done for giving blood but next time have cereal and juice, replenishes the fluid and balances the blood sugar better
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You're going to need to eat more calories today so your body has the stuff it needs to make new blood. A pint of blood is 16 ounces.. its no small thing you just did.

Eat. Slow releasing carbs, fiber, a little protein. Smoothies are good for after you donate blood :)

And thank you.
  • narrowdoor
    narrowdoor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Cudos for donating :bigsmile:
    I did a little research and considering the donation and the defecit it leaves in your system, it is natural to be hungry. The other posters make good points. You need the caloric intake and the sugars in chocolate will set off blood spikes and dips. Focus on good slow release carbs, high fibers and protein.
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Also chocolate has quite a lot of iron in it, which you would expect your bod would be needing if you'd just given blood. I'm sure blood loss is part of the reason why women are so obsessed with chocolate. Except I'm post menopause and still obsessed with chocolate ..:happy:

Dark chocolate/lean beef comparison:

"Data from USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference shows: Chocolate, dark, 70-85 percent cacao solids, value per 100 grams is 11.90 milligrams of iron.

>>Beef, bottom sirloin, roast, trimmed to 0″ fat, value per 100 grams is 1.66 milligrams of iron. <<

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/usda-dark-chocolate-has-more-iron-beef
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies. Next time I donate I will make sure to stay away from chocolate and to have a home made smoothie!
    Either that or bring lunch with me to eat straight away.
    Need to start learning to eat healthy foods when absolutely famished.

As for chocolate, I haven't cut it out of my diet because if I do, I tend to binge on it. So I have it when it fits with my calorie limit.

Thanks so much for answering!
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    >>because if I do, I tend to binge on it. <<

hehe - me too. The chocolate stays :tongue: