Glycogen Depletion

Options
MityMax96
MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
Lot of the Keto/Paleo people prolly know this....

I am doing a 3 day minimal carb trial run.
So trying to keep carbs to 50 gr or less....
In an attempt to deplete glycogen stores.

So my question is this.
Is splenda allowable during this period??
Or does it inhibit glycogen depletion?

I believe stevia is fine...
But I got some Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup by Smuckers, and they use Splenda.
So wondering if that is fine to do, with the goal of glycogen depletion in mind.

Thanks

Replies

• Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you really want to deplete your glycogen stores, cant you just do a hard run for 30-40 minutes before working out?

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/cience-of-bonking-and-glycogen-depletion/
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I am trying to prep for a competition right now.
    So running is not something I want to do. Can't afford to loose what little mass I have left
    So for now it is full body workouts and stair master.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    splenda the sweetener is carb free, but the powdered stuff in packets is bulked out with a starch based material. So if it's drops or tablet form you're probably ok but not the stuff that looks like sugar.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Ok.
    Well it is in the syrup. So then it is ok?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I would assume it's okay. Splenda, as well as sweeteners with erythritol have been known to cause "tummy shames", but other than that, it shouldn't affect anything. So if you're not prone to that kind of discomfort, should be fine. As far as I know, sweeteners like that don't kick me out of ketosis or affect anything.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I would assume it's okay. Splenda, as well as sweeteners with erythritol have been known to cause "tummy shames", but other than that, it shouldn't affect anything. So if you're not prone to that kind of discomfort, should be fine. As far as I know, sweeteners like that don't kick me out of ketosis or affect anything.

great thnx
  • Kristafischer70
    Kristafischer70 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are the 50 carbs net carbs (subtracting the fiber) if so I'd shoot for below 50 and for more than 3 days.. As soon as you go back to your old eating habits those counts you're trying to reduce will go back to what they were.. I'm roughly at 15-20 net carbs a day if that and feel amazing with those low sugar levels and zero cravings..
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Well for me and my goal. I am just trying to get a "full" look to my muscles. Thus I will do a huge carb load on day 4. Like 500 gr