GMOs Scary or not?

Options

Replies

• Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    While at university I would often talk to organic chemist, biologists, and medical professionals and they all called BS on the GMO scare. The consensus was that there is a possibility for there to be negative side effects, but the should be handled on a case by case basis instead of casting a shadow on the entire industry.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    While at university I would often talk to organic chemist, biologists, and medical professionals and they all called BS on the GMO scare. The consensus was that there is a possibility for there to be negative side effects, but the should be handled on a case by case basis instead of casting a shadow on the entire industry.

This is my stance as well. I don't believe that being GM produced makes something unsafe however I also don't believe that being GM produced guarantees safety either.

Its just a manufacturing method, nothing more...nothing less.
  • ndwildbill
    ndwildbill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    OK, if you live in Colorado or Washington state, would you smoke GMO Marijuana? ;-)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    OK, if you live in Colorado or Washington state, would you smoke GMO Marijuana? ;-)

I truly love this one. It's even better than the girl worried about soy, but drinking whiskey. Humans are really awful at risk analysis.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    GMO or not boils down to your opinions on genocide.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    GMO or not boils down to your opinions on genocide.

Okay I am going to have to ask you to explain that one. Wasn't expecting a GMO discussion to go full Godwin.

Personally I think GM is a great tool with a lot of potential but I typically frown on genocide as being not a good thing. For example i feel that the GM of e. coli to produce human insulin which made treatment for type 1 diabeties vastly safer and cheaper to be a good thing while i'd consider the holocaust to be a bad thing.

Did I get it right? Why are we comparing these two things again?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

I am also weary of the "world hunger" argument. There is no lack of food leading to hunger at the moment, there are poor distribution channels to particular parts of the world because the people there lack the income to support such channels. GMOs won't increase those people's incomes.

THIS I very much agree with. There is no shortage of food in the world, only a lack of ability or desire to get it to those who need it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I am also weary of the "world hunger" argument. There is no lack of food leading to hunger at the moment, there are poor distribution channels to particular parts of the world because the people there lack the income to support such channels. GMOs won't increase those people's incomes.

THIS I very much agree with. There is no shortage of food in the world, only a lack of ability or desire to get it to those who need it.

Wow. Just wow. This is why cluelessness kills.
  • fatcity66
    Options

Well, just making a snarky insult with no explanation or defense makes me respect your point of view immensely.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Well, just making a snarky insult with no explanation or defense makes me respect your point of view immensely.

Best of luck solving problems that your obviously don't give a **** about from your armchair. Get an education. It helps.
  • fatcity66
    Options

Best of luck solving problems that your obviously don't give a **** about from your armchair. Get an education. It helps.

A formal education, or something I researched on the internets?
    I have a BS in Biology, actually.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

A formal education or, something I researched on the internets?

Great. Congratulations on your bachelors. Now go get an education.
  • fatcity66
    Options

You still haven't said anything to defend your attack on me, and I doubt you will, as I haven't seen you say anything meaningful in this entire thread. Bravo.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

You still haven't said anything to defend your attack on me, and I doubt you will, as I haven't seen you say anything meaningful in this entire thread. Bravo.

Attack? How much experience with hunger do you have? Have you ever worked in a disaster area or blighted country? You can make general statements about there being plenty of food in the world all you want, but logistics is a very real issue, and increasing nutritional content of food and delivering it to those in need is more than a simple arm chair project.
  • fatcity66
    Options

Attack? How much experience with hunger do you have? Have you ever worked in a disaster area or blighted country? You can make general statements about there being plenty of food in the world all you want, but logistics is a very real issue, and increasing nutritional content of food and delivering it to those in need is more than a simple arm chair project.

Huh? I pretty much said the EXACT SAME THING. Maybe you should go back to school, ESL classes perhaps??
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Huh? I pretty much said the EXACT SAME THING. Maybe you should go back to school, ESL classes perhaps??

If you think we said the same thing then you really are beyond help. I'm sorry your professors failed you.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

If you think we said the same thing then you really are beyond help. I'm sorry your professors failed you.

She was saying that issues of world hunger have more to do with logistics of delivering nutrition to starving people than the ability of the world to grow enough food to sustain the current population.

I think he was objecting to the notion that this somehow renders GMO food production useless. GM based fortification of say rice with additional protein yield could, for example, reduce logistical cost by bringing the needed weight of transported food to supply adequate nutrition down.

Personally I don't feel knowledgeable enough to comment on food transport logistics to developing nations. I can believe that world hunger is more of a logistical issue than a pure crop yield issue but I also view handwaving away the usefulness of GM on this basis to be a bit shortsighted about the possible beneficial applications of such a powerful tool.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what some of you think about genetically modified seeds and foods? Are they harmful or benign? Or do we not have enough information at this point to decide?

Depends, you scared brah?

Or are you one of them damn dirty pollinators?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    that type of testing is a joke because it does not allow to determine long term effects

So yes you can eat them and you dont die; PASSED

What will happen in 150 years to human body: speculation

Which is why we wait 150 years before using any newly developed product. Oh wait, no...we don't...that would be ridiculous.

Whatever GMO's or anything else do to my human body in 150 years doesn't bother me.

Anything that isn't going to have an effect in the next 50 years (and that is being optimistic) does not matter.