Insanity workout & shin pain

Options
Hey all. I'm in the last week of month 1 of the insanity workouts and I have been having a little pain in my inside shins the past few workouts. I am really doing awesome this round and I don't want to quit insanity. I have a week of core cardio and balance coming up in 3 days. I haven't done this workout so I don't know if it is hard on the legs like month 1 is or if it will be a good enough rest to start month 2. What do you guys think?

Replies

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I haven't done insanity, but I have done T25 so I know how hard Shaun T can be with the jumping. If you are having pain and it's not going away you may need to modify so you have softer landings and are doing lower impact movements. You want to be really careful not to injure yourself and set yourself back. Just listen to your body and you should be ok.
  • supersparklies
    supersparklies Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have another week before I'm on Recovery Week! I have watched a couple videos of people doing the workout on Youtube and it looks a bit slower paced, although there are a few of the same cardio moves we've been doing.

Do you do Insanity in shoes?
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    I just finished the first month. I'm going to be doing the max interval sports training instead of the core cardio and balance during the rest week. I had shin splints the first week or two of insanity but they have gone away. If you take it easy for the next week you should be ok. Shaun T does like the do some extreme jumping that I refuse to do (the jump in the air and hit your knees - I do kettlebell squats instead). You should modify the workout if you are constantly in pain. They important thing is that your HR is up and you are burning calories. You don't have to follow it perfectly.
  • mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try using either those puzzle mats or a thick mat like a manduka mat. The sets that are used in filming the beachbody workouts tend to have special floors or mats that help to absorb the impact of jumping. I use a manduka mat (for space reasons, because I've seen some great puzzle mats at Play it Again Sports) and it made a huge difference when doing jumps.

http://www.manduka.com/us/find-your-soulmat/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw3IieBRDl1oG0gr_PweoBEiQAwGHVwwEcBEPuRk70v7vDacqaR7I4gAps67NKVGYAhxiAmG8aAjRK8P8HAQ
  • tulljackie
    tulljackie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do wear a pair of tennis shoes. Not sure what kind. I am thinking of trying it bare foot but I didn't know if that could cause other problems. I do insanity in my basement which is carpeted, but the carpet is on top of concrete so that could be some of the problem.
  • tulljackie
    tulljackie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just finished the first month. I'm going to be doing the max interval sports training instead of the core cardio and balance during the rest week. I had shin splints the first week or two of insanity but they have gone away. If you take it easy for the next week you should be ok. Shaun T does like the do some extreme jumping that I refuse to do (the jump in the air and hit your knees - I do kettlebell squats instead). You should modify the workout if you are constantly in pain. They important thing is that your HR is up and you are burning calories. You don't have to follow it perfectly.

I absolutely hate power jumps! Maybe I'll try something else during those. The pain usually goes away after the warm up but it sometimes makes it a hard start!
  • HalienKnox
    HalienKnox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find it tends to be only the warm up of month 1 which makes my shins hurt. Everything else is absolutely fine - even the warm up in month 2. Today, I am going to try replacing all the month 1 warm up excerises with those from month 2 and see if that helps.

I wear compression sleeves which do help a lot, use the beach body jump mat to absorb some of the shock and kneel on a foam roller after.