Do any of you work out twice a day?

Options
I was thinking of working out twice a day a few days a week. I would do my strenuous workouts in the morning and lighter workouts like walking or bike riding at night. Does anyone suggest doing that? And if so, how many days a week should I work out two times?

Replies

• missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It depends on your frame of mind and what you do already. If you are going from no activity to two + workouts a day, I'd say it would be hard to stick to and may be exhausting/discouraging.

If you already have a routine you have stuck with for a while then I don't see why it wouldn't hurt as long as you like doing it and it doesn't feel like a chore.

I have many days where I go to the gym or do a morning workout, and then find in the afternoon that I am out for a jog with my partner, walking my dog, riding my bike, doing various errands, etc. It's especially easy to do when the weather is so nice.

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself while doing it.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It depends on your frame of mind and what you do already. If you are going from no activity to two + workouts a day, I'd say it would be hard to stick to and may be exhausting/discouraging.

If you already have a routine you have stuck with for a while then I don't see why it wouldn't hurt as long as you like doing it and it doesn't feel like a chore.

I have many days where I go to the gym or do a morning workout, and then find in the afternoon that I am out for a jog with my partner, walking my dog, riding my bike, doing various errands, etc. It's especially easy to do when the weather is so nice.

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself while doing it.

I agree.

If you're doing it just to burn more calories or lose weight faster, you may find it unsustainable.
    If you're doing it because you enjoy it and want to make it a part of your normal daily routine, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you're fueling your body appropriately.

With the warm summer weather, I spend a lot of days being pretty active. I stick to my scheduled lifting days at the gym and then try to get outside as much as possible to jog, walk the dogs, or go for a bike ride. I do it because I enjoy it, and I set my calorie goal based on my activity level. :smile:
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'll do a serious gym workout (lifting weights, cardio,etc) in the morning and then take a 45-60 minute walk after dinner once it's cooled off a bit outside. I see the second part as staying active rather than exercise. Getting a fitbit or pedometer helps encourage you to get more activity (I have a fitbit and I find that I'll walk around more and take more stairs).
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I do similar to the others. I "work out" in the morning right after I wake up. That's my gym time. But if I'm feeling it… I will occasionally take a walk or something in the evenings. I don't count those evening walks as a "workout" and I don't log them. It's just something I do because I want to walk.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    If you can do it multiple times a day without totally exhausting yourself I don't think of it as a workout, just as daily activity. But being active multiple times per day will certainly not harm you! Even on days when I do a heavy session at the gym I go on a couple bike rides, since biking is the way I get around town.
  • Wandaringworker
    Wandaringworker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's doable, definitely. Just go easier on the later workout.

Not just due to energy levels from earlier, but if you have a strenuous workout later in the evening you may find it harder to get to sleep.

Sleep deprivation is detrimental to weight loss.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i sometimes do, but not to burn more calories or for weight loss.

i do it when i want to do a sprint cycle. since sprinting works the body somewhat the same way as weighlifting, that means that i can't sprint on off lifting days and either have to not lift for 6 weeks (not going to happen on purpose) or do them on the same day. so on those occassions i lift weights in the AM and do sprints in the PM.

i'm also thinking of doing it again since there's a gym at my job and i really need on getting my cardiovascular endurance back up since my bout with whooping cough left it in shambles.

oh yeah i tend to not tell other people outside of MFP when i work out twice a day. i get a lot of negativity about it offline. of course this same people wont express any thoughts about my health when i say i spent dozens of hours on the couch ordering takeout and binge watching BSG, orange is the new black, breaking bad etc but when i hint that i may be working out twice a day 3 days a week then it's OMG that's too much :laugh:
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    it's fine, lots of showering though lol
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I do it regularly. Sometimes it's two easy workouts, since I find I recover better with activity than just lying around.

Sometimes it's one light workout on the AM and a hard one on the PM (I have kids, so I have more time after they go to bed).

And infrequently, one really hard and one moderately hard workout. Why? Functional overreaching - work out really hard to finish a cycle and then take a few days off to rebound stronger. I've mentioned this before, but you don't get fitter/stronger/faster by working out, your body does it by adapting itself to the training stress. And that is only possible with adequate recovery.

(PS I often follow a race by working out on a stationary bike watching a bit of TV in the evening. Otherwise, I sometimes get cramps in my sleep! Oddly, I rarely cramp during competition).
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i sometimes do, but not to burn more calories or for weight loss.

i do it when i want to do a sprint cycle. since sprinting works the body somewhat the same way as weighlifting, that means that i can't sprint on off lifting days and either have to not lift for 6 weeks (not going to happen on purpose) or do them on the same day. so on those occassions i lift weights in the AM and do sprints in the PM.

i'm also thinking of doing it again since there's a gym at my job and i really need on getting my cardiovascular endurance back up since my bout with whooping cough left it in shambles.

oh yeah i tend to not tell other people outside of MFP when i work out twice a day. i get a lot of negativity about it offline. of course this same people wont express any thoughts about my health when i say i spent dozens of hours on the couch ordering takeout and binge watching BSG, orange is the new black, breaking bad etc but when i hint that i may be working out twice a day 3 days a week then it's OMG that's too much :laugh:

The French olympic track sprint team reported faster sprinting by doing weights immediately followed by the sprint session - kinda like a "superset" of weights+sprints. Something to think about!
  • operaprincess1
    operaprincess1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day, but that was after I got into the habit of working out and build up my strengh so I wouldn't burn out when I was working on becoming more active.

Like many people who have already commented, I do my physically challenging workout earlier in the day and then either walk in the evening or practice yoga with resistance bands. ( I save the calmer, meditative yoga for rest days) I find I have a better workout session the next day if I do something light the night before as opposed to one challenging workout and doing nothing for the rest of the day. Just don't work out too close to bed time...it's difficult to get to sleep - I learned that lesson the hard way.