Weighing Everyday

Options
Hi,

Now I know I am going to get flamed for this but I weight myself every day I cannot help it.

So this week on my weight in day I was 13 stone 13.5 pounds then through the week I got low as 13 stone 11.5 pounds and I was hydrated at the time.

Why does my weight fluctuates so badly during the week, today I weighed myself and I am back to 13 stone 13.5 pounds but when I weigh myself on Tuesday (Official weigh in day) I normally have dropped a pound on last week.

Just cannot help but weigh myself everyday.

Chris

Replies

• kazzsj0urney
    Options
    Weight fluctuations can be related to lots of things...hormones, stress levels, high sodium meals, hydration etc. Nothing wrong with weighing yourself everyday if it works for you do (I do) but you just need to be aware fluctuations will happen.
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I easily fluctuate 5-7 lbs. on the scale between an evening and a morning (or two). Choose one day a week to weigh yourself in the morning and record that weight as the one that counts towards your goal. Weigh yourself as much as you like in the meantime, lol
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations can be related to lots of things...hormones, stress levels, high sodium meals, hydration etc. Nothing wrong with weighing yourself everyday if it works for you do (I do) but you just need to be aware fluctuations will happen.

^ This, I weigh myself everyday to get a feeling for this fluctuations and any triggers in changes.... Also I believe it puts me in the MFP mindset from the minute I wake up, do my morning routine and weigh in for the rest of the day.
  • Greco74
    Greco74 Posts: 5
    Options
    Take into the account the time you weigh yourself as well, and whether you're wearing clothes etc (Might sound silly but there are many fluctuations that can happen in a week as previously stated).

I'd say safest bet is to weigh yourself at the same day once a week so you can see your progress each week.
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with weighing yourself everyday I myself do it but u have to keep the numbers in perspective as people have said fluctuations happen for loads of reason drinking water time since last meal have you been to the toilet and emptied as well as are u wearing clothes ur best bet is to weight at one time of the day and stick to it I always weigh first thing because then u get the best comparison u are judging ur body at the same time of day and thus eliminate some of the fluctuation problems but weighing will never be an exact science a good idea for you will be to measure your chest and waist etc and then u will be really able to see the progress u are making in inches
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Now I know I am going to get flamed for this but I weight myself every day I cannot help it.

So this week on my weight in day I was 13 stone 13.5 pounds then through the week I got low as 13 stone 11.5 pounds and I was hydrated at the time.

Why does my weight fluctuates so badly during the week, today I weighed myself and I am back to 13 stone 13.5 pounds but when I weigh myself on Tuesday (Official weigh in day) I normally have dropped a pound on last week.

Just cannot help but weigh myself everyday.

Chris

Nothing wrong with measuring yourself everyday-- i do this and take the weekly average and then use 3-4 weeks of data to make decisions.

The only thing with daily weighing is that it messes with your head !
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Spot on! Just be consistent in what you log on MFP, use one day each week, and preferably at the same time of day (morning seems to be the norm). That way you can keep an eye on the general trend rather than getting hung up on changes which can be misleading on a daily basis.
  • MrsStripyPie
    Options
    Above state the reason's to be honest, just if your going to way yourself everyday please just log on MFP one day a week, at the same time etc. That's when you'll really tell if you're losing. I'm doing it the same way, I weigh myself everyday but log weekly onto myfitnesspal. Good luck!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and "count" the weekend if it stays down all week. I go up and down 3 pounds on a regular basis and that is one of the reasons I do it. I used to think I didn't lose at all or "lost" my 2 lb loss that week but it was just normal fluctuations. I am 55 and over some hormonal fluctuations, but do retain water easily, sensitive to sodium and carbs but I like knowing how my body processing things.
    So if I'm 137 n Monday, 138 on Tuesday ,139 on Friday and back to 137 on Saturday, "I'm 137". ; )
    I am back to my lowest weight this year this morning but it could change because I had a big workout yesterday.

I've learned numbers are important for some things, but how I look, how my clothes fit, are more so. I weigh more than a coworker who is similar height, but she always says she looks heavier because she refuses to workout. I think scales keep us in check but shouldn't be a source of anxiety.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I hate the weighing every day, or every few days! Currently hate weighing every week as the scale is going up and down, but overall maintaining! LOL...so on advice (thanks MFP) , they have been put away, in a bag, in an under bed storage box, under my king size bed! Measurements are king! My sanity is safe:bigsmile:
  • Alice_Luther
    Alice_Luther Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself everyday :) At first i found it difficult because of the fluctuations but i have since accepted that as long as you log the food and have a higher awareness of what you have done and eaten the weight that you sometimes 'put on' cant be anything other than water retention due to drinking more or less water.having more salts in your body, time of day, stress, maybe you gained muscle from strength work or maybe with out being too graphic the food you ate the previous day hasnt quite finished it journey..

I weigh myself first thing in the morning before i have any food or water and AFTER ive been to the bathroom. I use the wii fit plus game to help me track my weight as i love the graph it makes and it makes me a lot more aware of my diet and exercise daily. I also recommend either weighing yourself in exactly the same clothes every time or in no clothes as then you remove another small variable.

Dont be discouraged if youve gained :) i gained this morning by a pound and i knew id been healthy because i logged so i did another work out. Its easier to say than do but dont let it discourage you. Let it encourage you! Make a graph and you can see that line go down which it WILL do if youre being healthy :)

Good luck and dont let it get you down

4480589194c6e393d1eb947fd2323e8f.jpg
  • parkparksarah
    Options
    Just enjoy the sweat.. In my opinion, if you weigh everyday and have high expectations you will lose your motivation
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Weight on scale= bones, muscles, organs,food in gut, waste in gut, water in muscles, gut, skin, glycogen in muscles and liver, blood volume...........and body fat

I weigh every day, used to average out after 7 days, now just watch for trends.

You need to be concerned with losing just one thing.

FAT.

Everything else, you need as much of it as you can!

Lose fat at a slight daily deficit.

Hold on to those other things with adequate macros and water and heavy lifting. Do a bit of cardio, if you like, but walking will do.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Normal weight fluctuations...are normal. If it really bothers you that much, find a trusted friend who will hide your scale 6 days a week.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and only record losses on MFP. I also use the Happy Scale app for daily recordings. I like seeing the graph of overall changes. I typically fluctuate about 2-3 pounds. Yesterday I was 140.7, this morning I was 138.5, which is a new low for me.

Just don't let the ups and downs frustrate you!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with weighing everyday. Just understand that there are a lot of factors that determine what weight the scale shows.
    :heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

This is a chart I made last year (using my own weigh ins) that shows day to day fluctuations. Notice how the overall trend is down:
    29l0bqr.jpg

Measurements are better for tracking progress.
  • Alice_Luther
    Alice_Luther Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic and informative post Shadow2soul. Thank you :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

^ This, I weigh myself everyday to get a feeling for this fluctuations and any triggers in changes.... Also I believe it puts me in the MFP mindset from the minute I wake up, do my morning routine and weigh in for the rest of the day.

Yes, this. I weigh myself everyday precisely because it helps me see it as just a datapoint that can be affected by lots of things and not to get hung up on the fluctuations. I'd be much more stressed about a once a week step on the scale, and that could be quite misleading if you catch a high or low day or don't know what the range was over the past week. But I think you have to do what works for you. If a one day fluctuation is going to upset you, I'd say work on getting over that, but for some it might be best to just avoid it if they will become derailed.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My scale is in the kitchen, right next to my refrigerator. I weigh myself every morning and night so I can keep track of variations and patterns in gaining and losing.
  • ChrisUK70
    ChrisUK70 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks very much for all your replies.