no burned calories calculated for strength training?

Options
hi - i'm brand new to this website, and i've been trying to keep track of all my food and exercise pretty diligently, but i did notice that whenever i enter any kind of strength training in, the site doesn't adjust my number of calories burned. like today for example i did a crap ton of burpees with shoulder presses, which i know burns a lot of calories, but A) i couldn't even find burpees listed anywhere in the database and B) when i put in shoulder presses it doesn't adjust my calories burned. i mean i guess that's not really that bad, it just means i'm burning more cals than i think i am when i look at my end of the day numbers. but is that really the case, strength training burns no calories according to this site?

Replies

• arp1217
    arp1217 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When you enter exercises, there is strength training under the cardio database, so you can try that out. I would also recommend getting a HRM (heart rate monitor) so that you can get a true estimate of how many calories you are burning during your workout.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to know, since burning calories during streength training all depends on how much weight, how vigorous, and your own fitness level. If you keep track of you heart rate while training you can approximate cal burned with this calculator. Just make sure you enter a VOMax like it says or it may not be accurate. http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing.
  • Ctucker1962
    Options
    The FAQ spells out why the strength training is not calculated for calories under exercise. In a more general way the reason is that they can't come up with a practical number that works for everyone with any accuracy.

As the other poster observed you can add strength training time under cardio but it is not likely to be an accurate observation.
  • aplug
    aplug Posts: 5
    Options
    I had the same frustration when trying to enter in housekeeping as a form of exercise. I'm a stay at home mom, so some days that is what I do and you can actually burn a fair bit doing it. I googled it and figured it out that way. Maybe try that?