Am I developing an eating disorder?

Options
2»

Replies

• GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I plugged your age/gender/height & weight into the calc on this site - http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

and got these results:

1) Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) - calorie goal - 1808

2) Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) - calorie goal - 2072

3) Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) - calorie goal - 2336

4) Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) - calorie goal - 2600

5) Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) - calorie goal - 2863

Decide which of those 5 levels applies to you based on how active your job/daily life is + how many days you do any dedicated exercise/sport and how easy/hard the exercise is. The number at the end of the level you chose is your 'MAINTENANCE' level. i.e how many calories you would need to eat to STAY the weight you are. To lose weight you obviously need to eat less than that. With only around 10lbs to lose you should be aiming to lose 0.5lb a week, now using the theory that 1lb = 3500 cals you then take HALF of that number - 1,750 then divide that by 7 which means you would need to eat 250 cals less than maintenance level per day.

Anything else is just plain unhealthy, the idea is not to eat the least amount possible. I suggest you follow the above method AND/OR include strength training in your exercise as this will help you maintain your lean body mass and will change how your body looks, it is possible you don't actually need to lose any more weight and just need to recompose it (which is what strength training will do)

I also recommend you speak to your doctor. Good luck.
  • britain21
    britain21 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi.
    I have like the same problem, I am obsessed with diet and fitness. I am 5'1 and weigh 128 . I exercise 5-7 times a week and usually stay in the 500-800 calorie range. I haven't lost any weight for like two weeks and I don't know why:/?
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    I understand it is silly and unrealistic to compare myself to my friends because, you all are right, we have different bodies. But one of my friends who has a very similar body size and height to me lost weight over the summer when we were back in high school. She looks good now (a little skinnier than I prefer, though), so I know I would look better if I could lose a little bit of weight. I think I may just need a reality check - I really don't want to stop logging because I do want to lose some weight. I just need to chill out, I think. I just get stressed and angry with having to make sure I'm under calories, and I can't eat that brownie because it would upset my calorie goal and all of that.

If I changed my goal from 1.5 lbs a week to 1 lb. or .5 lbs a week, I would be able to eat more and still lose weight - just slower. But at the same time, I'm afraid that that won't work and I won't lose any weight at all.

At this point, I'm so tired of dealing with dieting that I want to stop working out, stop counting calorie, go eat whatever I want today, and then just go back to how I used to be eating and exercise wise. I don't seem to gain weight with eating, and it is hard to lose it, too. Sometimes, like today, I just want to give up because I hate not being able to have a chocolate xtreme blizzard because it will be over my calories, or not have what I want for lunch because that will leave me few to calories for the rest of the day. Gah. All of this is just spinning around in my head and it is driving me crazy.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    . I don't seem to gain weight with eating, and it is hard to lose it, too. Sometimes, like today, I just want to give up because I hate not being able to have a chocolate xtreme blizzard because it will be over my calories, or not have what I want for lunch because that will leave me few to calories for the rest of the day. Gah. All of this is just spinning around in my head and it is driving me crazy.

This is your key. If you were not gaining weight before with whatever you were eating, go back to that. Then create your deficit with exercise. You can continue to eat normally, but being more active you will start losing weight slowly and safely, without obsessing over food or logging or even caring. I never understand people who say they just want to "give up" - if you do, nothing will change. So over the next month, if you "give up" you will stay the same. If you just up your activity and dont change your food from your usual, you will slowly lose weight. It will be slow, but giving up means NONE. Take the slow way, concentrate on upping activity throughout the day (reasonably), forget about dieting and it will happen. You dont have much to lose and there is no rush to get nowhere, so take your time and get somewhere instead!

Get out of the mindset that "if I cant have it now, its not worth it". A year from now you could easily be where you want, it doesnt have to be crazy hard just to get there in a month or two. Take your time, live life and have fun and just get there when you get there. Slow progress is Progress! Quitting is not.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Set it to 1lb a week at most.. It's 10lbs - not a lot of weight. Why are you trying to rush 10 pounds?

Edit; expletives.