Honestly? I give up.

Options

Replies

• healthyeating555
    Options
    I got into juicing and went as far as juice fasting because its the only way to move the scale. Calorie counting is fine but it takes loads of patience to lose weight and i dont have that kind of tolerance . I lost a few with this site but the scale never moved after that Maybe my calorie count was too high or i snuck in a few potato chips and pretzels and cake without documenting Who knows ? All i know is the stress of jotting down each and every piece of food you put in your mouth is time consuming and annoying and the exercise does very little to help if you go over your limit. If you can deal with losing 3lbs a month if your lucky or maybe not lose at all for more months just waiting for the scale to move , then MFP is for you
  • Michelle8683
    Options
    It's not about losing these last 25.
    I probably should have stated that I've been eating worse lately. Apologies for not being more elaborate.
    My issue is staying this way.
    I don't like the tedious calorie counting anymore.
    Been doing it for roughly over a year.
    Plataue a few times here and there.
    I just don't feel that it's a very important aspect in my life anymore.

I understand what your saying if I lost about how much I wanted to loose I wouldn't want to keep counting calories. Just eat what you want just not a big amount of it and try to stay with water. If you find yourself gaining weight back take then start to count your calories again or try to eat a little healthier..
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I think it's your choice to make. If you've decided that the cost of maintaining a smaller body size is not worth the reward, then who is anyone to tell you otherwise? I just hope that frustration and hunger aren't clouding your judgment. Maybe sit down and write out a list of the pros and cons of each (being bigger versus being smaller and all that each entails, because there are drawbacks and benefits to each). I recommend doing this when you aren't hungry and cranky. :)
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You made the right decision for you. No need to feel guilty or apologetic or mixed or second-guessing of yourself. There is nothing wrong with deciding that thinness isn't worth it. Thinness isn't for everyone. You need to feel at peace with your choice. Many folks choose this same option. They would prefer to enjoy their lives without feeling constantly hungry and deprived. No need to view it as "giving up." You completed the weight loss journey that led you to the point where you feel it is time to stop. You did not fail yourself. I personally am willing to face being hungry every single day for the rest of my life. I am vanity-driven. My vanity overrides my appetite. I would not be able to make the choice that you made-- you dieted down to a healthier weight but chose to retain some extra pounds for the sake of quality of life. I, on the other hand, would allow myself to become morbidly obese if I did not choose to be at the weight at which I think I look best. For me, quality of life means satisfying my vanity, not my hunger!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Take a break. Change your weight loss per week goals. Be proud of what you have done. Relax.
    You may be cranky now but that will not last. If you don't want to loose the next 25 don't!

One thing I have done is go back to my old diaries if I just can't plan. Try that. The thinking is already done, and you will have done it.
    I did that when I did weight watchers a few years back. I am on MFP because I stopped logging my food and gained all my weight back.
    Good Luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Brianne333
    Brianne333 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel completely. This whole journey to fitness is about making changes and doing things that you can live with for the rest of your life. While other people may have no problem with the prospect of calorie counting for the rest of their lives - maybe that isn't going to work for you. And nothing anyone says here is going to change that just because THEY feel differently ;) You have to find what works for you. Maybe calorie counting isn't going to be a good long term solution for you. Or maybe doing it off and on to help you keep on course but not as a constant means of watching what you eat will be a good solution. You'll have to decide what works for you and what doesn't. And you shouldn't feel bad about that.

65 pounds is a long way to come and a lot to lose, and you should feel great about accomplishing that. Now it's up to you to decide what measures you're willing to take and what you are willing to do for the rest of your life and no one else can make that choice for you. And no one else should make you feel badly about that either! :)
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry all the time you are not doing something right. I also think counting calories can be a pain in the *kitten* ...it works for me to keep on tract but if you have been doing it for a year you know probably very well how many cals are in a lot of things you eat.

Eat mindfully...you are not dumb...eat portions that are right for you, treat yourself once in awhile but not everyday, and get yourself moving. The more you move the more you will be able to eat and also the less cranky you will be! Endorphines and all that jazz! People make everything really complicated. If you dont want to log anymore don't. However watch what you eat and exercise and you will probably still see the scale go down.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to CarlieKitty in almost reaching her target.
    Don't forget that if you have been exercising more than you were previously used to
    then you will need to remember to keep in mind a couple of pound could be added
    for muscle tone. So you may already have hit your target weight.
    All you need to do now is keep it there.
    Best Wishes
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I've lost a total of 65 lbs.
    I'd be happier with myself if I could lose these last 25 lbs, but honestly.. Who cares?
    What's the point.

"On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died." - Adlai E. Stevenson

going to borrow that quote, that is awesome.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to maintenance, and keep logging.

Once the crankiness wears off (and it will), set your goal to .5 lb. per week and lose the rest of the weight. (The smaller deficit will help you transition to maintenance.)

Do not go on a bender &
    ruin all your hard work!

I didn't even think about doing that. I guess when I started, I was so excited to see that MFP had a 2LBS a week option and never changed that part up, until I did TDEE -20%

I really think you should take this advice. You could even stop logging for a week or two. Take a break, go on maintenance. And then start the new plan. You have lost a lot of weight. Things are very different now that you are closer to goal weight. You need a smaller defecit. Congratulations on your weight loss and great relationship!
  • girlinbubble
    girlinbubble Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well... you are saying you want to give up because you dont want to count calories.

You do know that for you are always gonna have to "watch what you eat". Theres not way out of that.
    If you dont watch what you eat, you can over eat, and then all of your heard work is out the window.

You are worth the counting. I would not stop if I were you.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    65lbs is awesome! :flowerforyou: I am 10 years older than you, and honestly wish that 13-ish years ago I would have maintained the loss I had made :( I got into the relationship I am now, and got pregnant, no longer cared. I am now working to undo the damage I have done. I still have a year left, maybe more, until I reach my goal look. I am fine (sometimes :laugh: ) with this. It really depends on what you want. Can you maintain your loss without counting? For me, I know I can't. But if you can, great, if you feel like you are gaining again, just come on back and count for a while and see what is happening. Many people can maintain weight without counting calories. As long as your are happy with yourself and in a healthy weight range, nothing wrong with maintaining. You can always lose more later on if you feel like it.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You don't need to apologize to anyone. If you are happy where you are, fine. If you think you still want to lose those 25 lbs, but are fed up with the process - take a break. Eat at maintenance for a few weeks. Or reduce your deficit to 0.5 lb per week. I'm at that point now, and it's wonderful. I don't stress out about calories, I eat all kinds of food; I'm having fun with it. The last bit of weight will come off, but in the meantime I'm focusing on training/fitness goals and enjoying summer weather feeling 10x better about myself than I did this time last year. There's nothing wrong with taking time off from weight loss if you're finding it mentally exhausting.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    DONT GIVE UP! I lost 50 lbs before and I put on like 65 after I gave up..Now Im back to where I was almost...you can do it :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to maintenance, and keep logging.

Once the crankiness wears off (and it will), set your goal to .5 lb. per week and lose the rest of the weight. (The smaller deficit will help you transition to maintenance.)

Do not go on a bender &
    ruin all your hard work!

I didn't even think about doing that. I guess when I started, I was so excited to see that MFP had a 2LBS a week option and never changed that part up, until I did TDEE -20%

I really think you should take this advice. You could even stop logging for a week or two. Take a break, go on maintenance. And then start the new plan. You have lost a lot of weight. Things are very different now that you are closer to goal weight. You need a smaller defecit. Congratulations on your weight loss and great relationship!

^ This. You certainly wouldn't be the first to stair step your way down. The mental break will do you good.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for a few weeks. Or reduce your deficit to 0.5 lb per week. I'm at that point now, and it's wonderful. I don't stress out about calories, I eat all kinds of food; I'm having fun with it.

This. x 1,000. If you go for maintenance, then you shouldn't gain and you may well find yourself enjoying food again. I hit maintenance a few weeks back and it's an awesome feeling. I will never go go back to my high weight. Ever. I wish you the best of luck as you work through this.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    If you were set on giving up, I suspect you would have deleted your MFP account and never looked back. If I'm correct, you're not %100 committed to giving up.

In which case, may I recommend procrastinating for a few weeks or even a month or two before you throw in the towel? To give yourself time to be absolutely certain it really isn't worth it.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you're discouraged, try maintaining for a while. You will need to up your calories a little at a time until you are at a calorie range where you're eating more but not gaining. Also, most people eat the same foods so you should already know approximately the calories of everything you eat so it shouldn't be too difficult to select foods you normally eat on your food list. It's okay to eat something you wouldn't normally eat at family functions, birthday parties, etc. but just get back on your maintenance program after that and add some additional minutes to your exercise. Don't give up! You deserve better and you'll only disappoint yourself in the end.
    Stay the course. Don't sabotage your great accomplishment! Think about your health and don't be so hard on yourself. What if your best friend or a loved one came to you and told you what you said. What would you tell them? Would you tell them to give up? I don't think you would. So, believe in yourself because you are worth it. You really are and I know once you think on it for a while I know you'll do the right thing. God bless you!
  • Charcharlottey
    Options
    It is super frustrating at first. But you can change how you view it. Look at it as a learning experience. Pretty soon you'll be able to eye-ball health portions and you won't even need to measure or count every single calorie.