I don't seem to be getting stronger...

Options
Hey everyone. I started C25k a little over two weeks ago and I feel like I'm not improving...?
I had to repeat week 1 twice, and now the most I can do is: jogging 90 seconds x 3 and jogging 60 seconds x 4 - I can't even do the full 90 seconds x 6 !
I suppose I shouldn't see results after only two weeks, but surely I should be able to do a little more each week?
Is it purely a mental block? Because my aching calves feel pretty real. I do all the stretches before and after, and in case it's pertinent, I'm only 19 years old.

Has anyone else had this difficulty? Surely its impossible to not improve even slightly after consistent workouts?

Thanks in advance...

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you going at the same speed?

and yep a lot of running is mental
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I can pretty much guarantee it's a mental block. You just have to get pissed at your failure to progress and use it get through those last few painful seconds.
  • supratt
    supratt Posts: 33
    Options
    You stretch BEFORE? Is that what they tell you to do? This is a big no-no and might explain your soreness. Stretch after, but not before. A gentle warmup is all that's required.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to be me when I start running sometime this year, & I was planning on trying C25K too. I haven't ran since I was in 7th grade.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You stretch BEFORE? Is that what they tell you to do? This is a big no-no and might explain your soreness. Stretch after, but not before. A gentle warmup is all that's required.

I thought this for the longest time too. I had a couple of gym teachers throughout school that had us stretch before a run.

OP, hang in there and keep at it. Don't let your mind or anything else make you think you can't do this!
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me that your body is starving for protein.
    Protein is the scientific name for strength.
    The more protein you have, then the stronger you feel.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down during the jogging times--and when you think you can't run anymore just slow down your pace but keep jogging. When I first started C25K I would listen to fast dance music and I noticed it was causing me to run too fast which would wear me out faster. When I switched to listening to podcasts it kept me at a more attainable pace. I also noticed that I tended to go faster if I was running outdoors rather than on a treadmill, probably because I was thinking of reaching a destination rather than thinking of it as a timed run.

It took me three tries (3 separate years) to finally complete the program, mostly because I used to lose interest at around week 7. This last time I had to complete it because I had to be a running buddy for my daughter so I started at week 6 and just took it slow. It was a lot easier than I expected. After finishing my first 5k (June 8) I decided to try to stretch my runs longer and I did it by just slowing down after I hit the 5k mark and increasing each run by 5 minutes. Now I can easily do 10K on a treadmill at 6 mph (60 minutes), on the road I can only go about 45 minutes. I think the hills are to blame, that and the mind games that trick me into thinking if I run faster I will get done quicker.

Try to keep your mind off of the time if you can. On the treadmill I have been watching netflix shows--I watched both seasons of Orange is the New Black while running on the treadmill. Outdoors I stick with podcasts and audio books. Helps me stay in it for the long haul while keeping a good pace. Listening to music ended up being a way that I clock watched (2 more songs then I can walk) or it messed with my pacing because I tried keeping up with the music. Boredom is probably the biggest obstacle. Try to find a way to focus on something rather than the time left.
  • gary241069
    Options
    Stretching before a run can prevent Repetitive Strain Injury which can be pretty damned painful.
  • cassique
    Options
    Oh, and I agree with the stretching AFTER not BEFORE. Static stretching can cause injury if you aren't warmed up. That's why it should be part of your cool down, not warm up. If you want to loosen up your muscles before your work out you can do movements to loosen them up (dynamic stretching I think it is called).

Here is an article about it. http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/why-stretching-may-not-help-before-exercise/
  • gary241069
    Options
    Oh, and I agree with the stretching AFTER not BEFORE. Static stretching can cause injury if you aren't warmed up. That's why it should be part of your cool down, not warm up. If you want to loosen up your muscles before your work out you can do movements to loosen them up (dynamic stretching I think it is called).

Here is an article about it. http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/why-stretching-may-not-help-before-exercise/

I confess this article proves me wrong.
    Accept that while you get it.
    I don't admit to being wrong very often!!
  • gary241069
    Options
    !!
  • Alethiia
    Alethiia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm repeating people here but never stretch before a run, just do a 5 minute warm up walk. You can do a full set of stretches afterwards.

Make sure you're running consistently, so 3 days a week and make sure you have a rest day in-between each run. You're free to do other exercise here just no running : ]

And I would probably say that it is a mental block. I completed the C25K 2 years ago and I had no problems. I mean yeah, it was crazy difficult and I was incredibly unfit and pretty heavy when I started but I saw improvement every week.
    My longest run now is 2 hours so improvement is possible : ]

I think the hardest challenge with running is the mental one. It's all about convincing yourself you can run for as long as they ask, because you can; it's just really hard. You have to run through the discomfort.

Unless you feel any sharp or intense pains then it's something you can probably run through. Both your body and brain need to get used to the idea of exercise.

Hope this helps : ] Just keep at it and you'll get there.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    Hey everyone. I started C25k a little over two weeks ago and I feel like I'm not improving...?
    I had to repeat week 1 twice, and now the most I can do is: jogging 90 seconds x 3 and jogging 60 seconds x 4 - I can't even do the full 90 seconds x 6 !
    I suppose I shouldn't see results after only two weeks, but surely I should be able to do a little more each week?
    Is it purely a mental block? Because my aching calves feel pretty real. I do all the stretches before and after, and in case it's pertinent, I'm only 19 years old.

Has anyone else had this difficulty? Surely its impossible to not improve even slightly after consistent workouts?

Thanks in advance...

you have to look to food as well, if you don't recovery probably you're low in proteins and also ti develop endurance takes time, i'm a runner and i add 5 minutes every couple of weeks, to have a fit heart takes time, you don't have to get discourages but also weight lift helps to steenghten so maybe you have to vary something...
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Exercise requires fuel so make sure you're getting enough.
  • cassique
    Options

I confess this article proves me wrong.
    Accept that while you get it.
    I don't admit to being wrong very often!!

It takes a real man to admit that. :) I still have trouble being a real man--but then again, I'm a woman so maybe that's ok.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    are you going at the same speed?
    (snip)

I had the same thought - unless you're on a treadmill going an exact speed, it could be that you're unknowingly running a bit faster each time which will zap your energy quickly. If you think this is the case, find a way to pace yourself by listening to music that's a certain beat or even counting in your head. Some also do paced breathing (2-2 or 3-3) where you time your inhales and exhales with your footfalls. The latter is my preferred method.

Definitely only do dynamic stretches before. Yes, a lot of running is mental. Also, I personaly didn't like doing C25K because of things like this. Not everyone is good at running or fit enough to improve on that schedule. Try your own schedule and don't worry about following a rigid program like that.
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Agree that you might be running too fast! I found it hard at first until I slowed the jog right down - then it got easier! (Of course) and I can work at the speed as I go.

Also make sure you're eating enough to fuel the exercise.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others I think it is a mental block. I was 41 years old and 200lbs when I started running and I got through C25K without repeating any weeks. As others have said, the only warm up you need is the 5 minute walk. Make sure you are going slow, don't worry about speed at this point. I mean run SUPER slow, when I started I literally almost jogged in place, your goal here is getting through your intervals. Don't give up, you can do it!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Stretching before a run can prevent Repetitive Strain Injury which can be pretty damned painful.
    This is no longer thought to be true. Study after study show no evidence of reduced injury rates associated with pre-workout stretching. Actually there is evidence of a slight "increase" in injury rates due to stretching prior to running, and there is also a slight reduction in performance in strength sports.

A warm up is all that you need.