So what are you doing with those clothes 1 size too large?

Options

Replies

• MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    my mom helps take them in so they fit... i can't afford to buy new clothes all the time... when they can no longer be taken in i will donate them
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I donate them immediately. Last time I kept some jeans around I ended up getting sloppy with my diet and gaining weight back so they fit again.

Not happening anymore. When I hit goal I might keep one or two bummy bloat articles of clothing, but everything else will go.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Wear them. No need to throw away perfectly good clothes that still fit. When they start falling off I'll donate them. For someone who has lost 10 sizes already, imagine if I bought new clothes every time I went down a size. I would need a bank loan.
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I donate them at Goodwill and shop there for something new (to me).

Wonderful idea!! I do this as well. I go to three local Goodwill stores once a week and look for new (to me) clothes. Sometimes the larger sizes are greatly lacking in anything but style, but sometimes you hit the lottery. :drinker:

I encourage everyone to donate their 1 size too large clothes. You will be giving someone a wonderful gift!! :flowerforyou:
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i take them in if i like them. and if i don't like them enough to bother i still keep them because i'm too cheap to get rid of stuff. i'd wear stuff that's too big if it's laundry day.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    When I started I was a size XL, all of that and size L are on a shelf in my closet. I was thinking about a sewing machine...I will probably donate when I am ready. I am a size small now, but I am on the high side of small so I can wear smaller size mediums too, still i need another closet clean out, and my shelf is full on one side, not long till the other will be too. Have bought some size small things to get me though the summer, but trying to hold out till I get to my goal for the big shopping spree. I am less than 12 lbs. from my goal weight, although I might end up lowering it 5 or 10 lbs, depends if I am happy when I get there.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Sell them on Ebay - use the money to buy new ones that fit me!
    I have been thinking about that, I have some nice stuff I could sell.
  • cindyaleach
    Options
    I just started MFP, however many years ago I lost a huge chunk of weight. Then, fast forward to now, and I'm afflicted with middle age and menopause. Hence, MFP!!

Now, about those clothes................ I DO NOT buy expensive clothes anymore. I worked in an attorneys office for many years, with the hose, heels, dresses and skirts, yada yada yada. Those clothes were mega expensive, and we were expected to wear them because of the setting we were in.

When I was not working anymore, I began buying very cheap clothes as I was not in the public eye any longer. As I have been packing on the pounds, I really began buying sweats, stretchy waist things, a lot of elastic, you get the idea. It isn't as big of a deal to get rid of those clothes that don't fit any more (because they're either too big or to small) because I didn't spend an arm and a leg for them.

Thrift stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., can always use donations. Besides, think how great you'll feel knowing that someone else is benefiting from your weight loss! Twice the reason to keep up the good work. :wink:
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Mine are off to the Goodwill drop off, I have no intention of fitting into them again.
  • bald_navy_wife
    bald_navy_wife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    upcycle them! Turn your oversized shirts into cute halters, tunics, or skirts, and jeans can be turned into purses and such.

I do this too! I love making art & crafts out of anything
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Got them dry-cleaned and will put right back on for the bulk stage.

:bigsmile:

excited to eat big.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    1 size too big is not that big, really. Things can be worn 1, 2 or even 3 sizes too big and still fit. I'm a size 16 now and I'm wearing size 22 shorts. They have a drawstring so it's not a big problem. I wear my big clothes around the house and those with elastic, I just tighten the elastic. Big shirts can be worn as house dresses or with short shorts etc..

I use a belt for 1 size too big jeans, they still fit and can be made more comfortable with a belt. Now when things start looking like potato sacks or falling off I get rid of them, but that doesn't happen when they are just 1 size too large.
  • bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I given everything to someone who is also on the journey and is still 1 size bigger than my too big clothes. It gives her 'new' clothes for part of her journey and gets them out of my house. She's already promised them to someone bigger than her when she gets down that far.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank god for sewing machines! I re-size everything :)

Here is to people who can use a sewing machine. I really should have learned how years ago.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I keep them and wear them.
    Used to wear them too tight and now wear them loose!
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Just donated two big bags.

Kept the rest of my stuff that was nicer/newer just in case.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I kept my favorite clothes in the next size up and got rid of everything else.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    1 size too big is not that big, really. Things can be worn 1, 2 or even 3 sizes too big and still fit. I'm a size 16 now and I'm wearing size 22 shorts. They have a drawstring so it's not a big problem.

I agree 1 size isn't bad but when I was in a 16, if I put on my old size 22 pants or shorts it looked like there was room to smuggle a Labrador puppy in the crotch. Just no.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I'm still wearing mine because I'm too cheap and lazy to replace them... lol.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I just gave away 3 huge bags of clothes - probably thousands of dollars worth. Mostly Polo - not cuz Im fancy, but because it was the only place I knew what my size was and that it would fit properly (being so big had to order mostly online).

Killed my very soul to be honest.

The guy I gave them to certainly needed them though, so that offsets my sad feelz a bit.

I even included my dress shoes which had become too big. Now my wardrobe just stinks because I don't want to invest too much in more clothes since I still have a ways to go with my weight loss.