logging exercise or using tdee

Options
whats better???

I feel as if when you log exercises that it over or under estimate the calories burned. Furthermore, logging food can be inaccurate as well. Therefore, wouldnt TDEE be better since there is less room for inaccuracy?

I understand how MFP figures out your daily caloric intake: BMR.

Wouldn't it make sense to just use TDEE, since there is less room for under or over estimating food or exercise?

I'm 186 lbs 6"1. my Bmr is 1930 an dmy Tdee is 2700.

any feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I find the TDEE method to be easiest. But if I wasn't motivated to just exercise regularly and keep myself moving to the level I put in my TDEE, then the MFP method might be better (more calories so can eat more).
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have tried both and found that for myself BMR plus exercise works better. I think in my head, even though I am training 4 to 5 times a week I cope better to eating slightly more on training days than on rest days.

I tried TDEE for about 6 weeks and although it was easier to account overall I didnt seem to make any meaningful progress in that time.

As far as accuracy is concerned i just over estimate consumption a little and underestimate expenditure and it all seems to be balancing out (mostly).

(60lb lost over the last 3 years most of that during the first 18 months and now just working the damn BF% down slowly)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it is 6 of one half a dozen of the other...

For me TDEE-20% was the same as logging my exercise here for 1lb a week weight loss....

I do use TDEE tho but only because I am very consistent with my exercise and weigh lifting well...try estimating calories for that.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I find the TDEE method to be easiest. But if I wasn't motivated to just exercise regularly and keep myself moving to the level I put in my TDEE, then the MFP method might be better (more calories so can eat more).

This is what I do too, and it has worked better for me than the MFP method, but you need to have enough information to figure your TDEE correctly. I started out using the MFP method then used the information from the food and exercise log to figure my TDEE.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this MFP thing for over 3 years, on maintenance for almost 3 years, so I definitely want to do whatever simplifies the process. Logging exercise is FAR easier for me than TDEE. This is only because my exercise is super inconsistent. I don't have the same TDEE from day to day. It changes constantly.

For example, one week I'm couch surfing, that Saturday I might hike 20 miles cross-country, maybe the next week I'm running a half marathon, then back to doing nothing for awhile or maybe getting inspired and randomly running an unscheduled 5 miles of hills. Could be I'm taking a nap instead. You never know. I'm strange like that.

If I used TDEE I'd have to recalculate it constantly and that's a pain. With the MFP method, my calories are constant except for the days I earn extra with exercise. If you are a highly consistent type, TDEE probably would be great. If you're like me, it won't work.