So what are you doing with those clothes 1 size too large?

Options

Replies

• Kelly2300
    Kelly2300 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Keep one size up...get rid of two sizes up.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Saving them for when I eventually do a bulk cycle.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I would keep them until I'm at least 2 sizes down. If it's something that can be altered to fit better I keep things and have that done (I really wish I could sew better but alas, I can't). Donate the rest once I'm 2 sizes down or keep to wear around the house.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I send them to women I know in RL or via MFP or my FB weight loss group. Nothing sucks more than having to constantly buy new clothes while losing weight so we all kinda just keep passing them around.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I just gave away 3 huge bags of clothes - probably thousands of dollars worth. Mostly Polo - not cuz Im fancy, but because it was the only place I knew what my size was and that it would fit properly (being so big had to order mostly online).

Killed my very soul to be honest.

The guy I gave them to certainly needed them though, so that offsets my sad feelz a bit.

I even included my dress shoes which had become too big. Now my wardrobe just stinks because I don't want to invest too much in more clothes since I still have a ways to go with my weight loss.

I have also given away lots of clothes that likely cost me a fortune. I tried consignment or selling on line but everyone else is doing that so I sold very little, it just was not worth my time. I figure donating is a way I can give back without actually giving money to charities.
  • Kakibot
    Kakibot Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thankfully most of my stuff is quite stretchy, therefore it still feels alright to wear it (I just feel a bit better in it! Win!). For dresses and loose-ish fits, I wear a wide waist belt over it, which is elastic so it worked before and works now. The only problem I have is things like trench coats, some of my older ones are now a bit baggy, but I am still keeping them, never know when it will be so cold in Scotland that I'll need something that fits over three jumpers.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Good will today!
  • marchellaz
    marchellaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you have facebook look for the beg barter group in your city. I sell my clothes there and buy also. Cheaper than clothes anywhere else. I can't afford to keep buying new clothes for each size.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I keep 1 size bigger, just for period bloat. lol I donate 2 sizes and larger though
    Thank you menopause, I'm so glad I'm over that! :bigsmile:

YAY! another sister who is enjoying their menopause. I love being in that wonderful window of time where I am too old for sanitary protection but too young to need incontinence protection. I save a ton of money!

To the OP and to stay on topic: I donate after the clothes become just too big to be comfortable. I donate to my local women's shelters because they frequently need the larger sizes not always available through their usual channels.
  • IndianaNanaS
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here. I agree that keeping larger sizes is subconscious "permission" to backslide; however, if you have a lot invested in high-end clothing (especially if you have items you "love") it would be worth it to pay a tailor or seamstress to alter the piece once you have reached your goal weight. I have found Ann Taylor slacks at Goodwill, new with the tags on, for $2.50 a pair (half off on Sunday if you're over 50!) Once I reach my goal, I'll be buying them new in the store, but until then, I don't want to spend a lot on clothing while my body is transitioning.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    If they are casual clothes and are one size too big I put them in the trailer for camping but if they are career clothes I give them to a friend who appreciates them. Even one size too big I want them gone
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I need it out of my house and this means I'm having to buy more clothes in sizes I won't be in forever and it's costing a fortune - but I can't keep the bigger stuff. Mentally it derails me too much - and the flipside of that is the buzz of wearing a smaller size keeps me focused and happy

I've kinda resigned myself to burning through some clothes until I get to goal - and that's ok. It's part of my particular journey. I've gone from UK 16 to UK12/14 (some 14s are too big, some 12s too small) and my goal will be a UK 10. That's a lot of new clothes but that's ok. The charity shop will get it all :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I need it out of my house and this means I'm having to buy more clothes in sizes I won't be in forever and it's costing a fortune - but I can't keep the bigger stuff. Mentally it derails me too much - and the flipside of that is the buzz of wearing a smaller size keeps me focused and happy

I've kinda resigned myself to burning through some clothes until I get to goal - and that's ok. It's part of my particular journey. I've gone from UK 16 to UK12/14 (some 14s are too big, some 12s too small) and my goal will be a UK 10. That's a lot of new clothes but that's ok. The charity shop will get it all :)

If the styles are something you like, get bottoms with drawstrings or elastic and add a drawstring yourself so you can wear them through a couple of sizes. My tops and dresses are often princess seams or a slightly boho style which look good through often 2 sizes. I maintain black, white, and khaki bottoms only so I don't have to worry about matching colors nearly as much. I have been losing bottoms sizes faster than on top.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    1. I refuse to keep my Fat clothes, that chapter in my life is over. My new lifestyle ensures that I will never need them again.

2. I refuse to give my Fat clothes to someone else....I will not help someone else be comfortable being fat.....no would I wish obesity on anyone.

3. I BURN THEM - Brought a garbage bag of clothes that are way too big for me now camping this weekend. It felt great to burn them in the fire one at a time!

4. I have some $100 plus shirts that are now too big for me, but I am saving them for when i get to my goal weight....I will try to have them Taylored.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I've kept all of my larger clothes although some will get donated at some point.
  • Irishsquid62
    Irishsquid62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    People sometimes ask me when I'm going to buy a new belt. I don't plan on replacing that belt anytime soon. I'll just punch new holes in it as I continue to cinch it tighter . I may look ridiculous with the excess hanging and flopping around but I kind of enjoy it. :-)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    wear them down the veggie plot (allotment) - until they fall off!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Replace them with one size smaller, as I can afford to.
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    One size I may keep but everything else I donate to family and friends who are just a few steps behind me on this journey. I do wish I had kept a pair of my old pants from the very beginning just for picture purposes.
  • amreadarrens
    amreadarrens Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Make some creative way to dress it up again... :)