Quick, easy, nutritious, & kid-friendly

UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
I am looking to expand my menu plan for myself and my kids. I'm hoping to find some new recipes that I will like and my kids will like while also, easy and fast to make. Thanks.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    Bump
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    I don't have kid but I do live with my boyfriend so it's almost the same thing. :P

One of our go to meals are home made "chipotle" bowls.

I throw some rice in the rice cooker with vegetable broth and in the mean time prepare some red bell pepper, cilantro, avocado, red onion, corn, and black beans. You can use as few or as many veggies as you want. You can eat the bowl with the raw veggies, or you can sautee them in a little oil. I like to cook the onions, corn, bell pepper, and beans with some spices like cumin and chili powder.

You can also add meat to it if you want. :) It's super tasty and filling. Plus it's a fun thing you can assemble with your child if they are old enough.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    This is just a snack, but my friend makes peanut butter/ banana sushi rolls for his daughter. Spread peanut butter on bread, and roll/wrap it around a banana. Cut into sushi style pieces and drizzle honey over the pieces. I actually eat this myself quite often.
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    Maybe my kids are strange, but they like a dish I call Dirty Rice. Lean ground Meat (chicken, Turkey, Hamburger), black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, very small diced tomatoes and Dirty Rice Mix (such as Rice Roni, I buy Aldi Generic). I use 1 1/2 lbs. of meat and 3 boxes of Rice which gives me enough for two dinners (or 1 dinner & 1 other night side dish) (feeding 7). If you cannot find a Dirty Rice you can use Red Beans and Rice, or Jambalaya Rice. This meal is extremely high in protien.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    This is just a snack, but my friend makes peanut butter/ banana sushi rolls for his daughter. Spread peanut butter on bread, and roll/wrap it around a banana. Cut into sushi style pieces and drizzle honey over the pieces. I actually eat this myself quite often.

Oooh... that sounds good!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

Kind of along those lines - PB&J burrito with a banana.

Caprese Salad - I made yesterday was awesome.
    3 med tomators cubed
    1/2 lb mozzarella cubed
    1/2 cup basil
    3 tbsp olive oil
    4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    salt/pepper to taste (I didn't need any)
    Mix tomatoes, cheese and basil. Drizzle the Olive Oil & Balsamic, lightly stir. Chill for 1 hour.

Tadah!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    I do a wrap with Boarshead turkey and cheese, then cut them into pinwheels. They love them! I even do it with turkey pepperoni, pizza sauce and cheese. Bake it, then cut and take along, they don't mind them cold.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Are you familiar with salsa chicken in the crockpot? It's seriously just salsa and chicken in a slow cooker, but you can add peppers/onions and other veg -- the sauce cooks down so it's not "chunky" which my child seems to dislike.

I am also a fan of cous cous because it takes 5 minutes to make and you can mix it with all kinds of protein. veg, and cheese.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member

This is why I love you!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Loving these ideas. Thanks, folks!
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Bumping for ideas :)
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    I made in one pot, beans and rice-

2 cups cooked brown rice
    1 can pinto beans rinsed
    1 can black beans rinsed
    1 med onion
    1 med bell pepper
    1 link favorite sausage ( I used hot Mexican chorizo ) cut in bite size pieces
    1 chicken breast cut in bite size pieces
    Add garlic, cumin and red pepper to taste. (If your kids don't like hot only use a little red pepper)

Cook the onions and peppers until soft, add meat cook until done-add a little of the spice
    Once the meat is done add beans and rice and more spice if you desire. Cook for about 5-10 more minutes and eat.