Running Shoes

Options
Hi! I am doing a program to train for a half marathon. The program highly suggests getting fitted for good running shoes from a specific store. I looked on the store's website and was shocked how expensive the shoes are. This will be the first thing I have trained for - running wise - so I want to have what I need to succeed, but I'm also wondering if this is just a great marketing ploy for the store. Do any runners out there have any suggestions or rules of thumb when it comes to buying footwear?

Replies

• angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Get yourself fitted for running sneakers. They are expensive yes but they are worth the investment, and your feet will thank you for it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Get one size larger than you normally wear. Even though I got "fitted" at a running store they failed to catch this. I didn't know this until I started researching why my toe nails were all black and falling off.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    To save, you can also go with what they recommend, but get a previous year's model. But yes, definitely go in to find out what kind of runner you are and determine what kind of shoe you need.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You should consider barefoot running. Not only is it cheaper, but it teaches your body proper form so that you don't get hurt halfway through training. Barefoot runners don't get plantar fasciitis, or shin splints, or any of the diseases shoes are supposed to prevent or heal. Check out this and many other resources (google BF running!) to get started:

http://zenhabits.net/barefoot-running/

Also, there's a "Society for Barefoot Living" on facebook and possible a barefoot runner's group in your town.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can go to any running store and have them evaluate you to recommend shoes. It's your choice as to whether or not you buy them there or shop around.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have been running for several years. I know it is expensive to get the right shoes, but they are essential!!! A cheap shoe will not only wear out faster, but if you don't have the right one for your feet, you could end up with shin splints, blisters, etc. Also, if you have a high arch, I highly recommend getting fitted for inserts for your shoes. The individual fitted ones are also expensive, but definitely worth it.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You should consider barefoot running. Not only is it cheaper, but it teaches your body proper form so that you don't get hurt halfway through training. Barefoot runners don't get plantar fasciitis. Check out this and many other resources (google BF running!) to get started:

Also, there's a "Society for Barefoot Living" on facebook and possible a barefoot runner's group in your town.

Interesting alternative! I'll look into this. Thank you all for the suggestions - really helpful.
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • erinjruns
    erinjruns Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can skimp on a lot of gear for running, but shoes will NEVER be one of them. You need to get fitted for the right kind of shoes for your running form/style. Yes, you will spend probably around $129. Mine are $175. Its cheaper than the co-pays to see a doctor when you've jacked up your legs or hips with the wrong shoes.

Those running stores also typically have a 30 day return policy on shoes. Run in them for a couple of weeks and if you've got any issues with them, they will switch them out for a different model. Being fitted for running shoes tends to be more of an art than a science. How my foot strikes the ground and how my toes spread out with each step will be entirely different than yours.

One way to cut down on cost is to do an internet search for a local running club. Many are dirt cheap to join and have discounts available at the local running stores. The shoes are only meant to be run in between 300-500 miles, depending on so many factors, such as your weight, how you hit the pavement, etc. Essentially, you will know when it's time because your shins may hurt or your feet might be a bit more tired after a run as you progress. If you are in the same model year and can still buy the same shoe, you can always look online for sales, but only do this if you have run in the shoes before!!

The only other item that I have seen new runners skimp on is socks. Once you plunk down $130 on shoes, people flinch when they see $15 for a pair of socks. Just suck it up and buy a pair. Do not go near a pair of cheap cotton socks. Trust me on this. You want blisters, go buy 6 pair for $12. You only have two feet and you need them both to do the half marathon. :)
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You should consider barefoot running. Not only is it cheaper, but it teaches your body proper form so that you don't get hurt halfway through training. Barefoot runners don't get plantar fasciitis, or shin splints, or any of the diseases shoes are supposed to prevent or heal. Check out this and many other resources (google BF running!) to get started:

Yep, but take it easy. It takes a while to get used to but it's worth it.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    there is a lot of marketing that goes on with shoes naturally, so yea some brands are more hype than others..as far as expensive...they arent all that much more than the top brands of any other shoes these days.

however the right pair for you is paramount....if you want to avoid injury...get yourself fitted.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You should consider barefoot running. Not only is it cheaper, but it teaches your body proper form so that you don't get hurt halfway through training. Barefoot runners don't get plantar fasciitis. Check out this and many other resources (google BF running!) to get started:

On the opposite end of the spectrum are so-called "Maximilist" shoes that provide additional cushion for long distance running. Unfortunately, I can't say whether either one is better and there is a lack of research on the long term effects of either type of shoes (or lack thereof) on joint health, injuries, etc.. I run in traditional shoes that are merely on the cushy side. You may have to experiment to find what's best and most cofortable for you. I do recommend getting properly fitted regardless of what you end up getting.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Get one size larger than you normally wear. Even though I got "fitted" at a running store they failed to catch this. I didn't know this until I started researching why my toe nails were all black and falling off.

^^THIS. I go half a size bigger than I normally use when it comes to buying running shoes. This was recommended by my podiatrist. And yeah, I had the same issue with at least one toe nail.

The most I've run is several 10k runs so I won't claim to be an expert in this area. But like someone said, get evaluated and make the choice whether you're "buying" what they're trying to sell/tell you.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    first, let me say i'm in no way a distance runner.

but it seems like there are to fads :

1) by the most customized, over priced shoe possible

2) wear virtually no shoes at all (and still probably pay way too much)

i'm a little suspicious of both.

i wouldn't suggest spending a lot of money on shoes unless you've been at it for over a month and you have some persistant sorness or uncomfortable feeling.

if you have no discomfort at all due to running (other then the fact that you are runing) then you really don't have any need for fancy shoes
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I always recommend getting a good pair of shoes; however, there are lots of places you can go to accomplish this. Any program that specifies the store is trying to get you to spend money with a sponsor. If you know about your own running mechanics and needs you can probably do the research on your own to figure out which kind of shoes are best for you. I personally run either barefoot or in extreme minimalist shoes, and this is a good option for some people. I'm not sure if I would recommend that route while you are mid training because switching from shoes to barefoot will set you back a few weeks on mileage. If you are currently running, and aren't having any injury/pains then the shoes you have are probably fine. Watch for signs of wear as you increase your mileage. You don't want to find out the wrong way that it's time to replace your shoes!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Interesting alternative! I'll look into this. Thank you all for the suggestions - really helpful.

^^I'm one of these too ;-)

I started running May 2013 and started directly with Vibram Five Fingers. I ran 11k on both Saturday and Sunday, and will be running 8k to work tomorrow, with no problems ;-) So not completely barefoot, but with the advantages of barefoot running. I love it.

Go to the Vibram Five Fingers homepage if you are interested. They have good tips and videos on how to run with minimalist / barefoot shoes and how to train yourself for it.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options

^^THIS. I go half a size bigger than I normally use when it comes to buying running shoes. This was recommended by my podiatrist. And yeah, I had the same issue with at least one toe nail.

The most I've run is several 10k runs so I won't claim to be an expert in this area. But like someone said, get evaluated and make the choice whether you're "buying" what they're trying to sell/tell you.

I wouldn't necessarily just automatically go up a size. I say it depends on the toe box. Some brands I'm able to wear my normal size and some I need to size up. I'm fortunate enough to be a neutral runner, so I go with whatever I'm comfortable in. I can always tell if the shoes I purchased are wrong by how my knees feel. Also, I don't normally get blisters, but if I do, it's the first sign to me that it's time for a new pair.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Go in and get fitted for the right type of shoe. It is no secret that shoes really REALLY make all the difference in the world. It's not just a matter of you having just a little bit of uncomfortable feeling in your feet. Properly fitted shoes can save you from serious injury and miles upon miles of unnecessary pain. Sure, you may pay 40 bucks more for them but if you are out on a run in shoes that aren't tailored to you, you would gladly cough up that or more to not feel that pain. It may even be more expensive to go the cheap route initially if you buy a shoe that really hurts you and have to go and re-buy another pair so you can keep running. Running stores even offer a return policy (most 30 days) where if it doesn't feel right then bring them back and and get a different pair. Most of these times these stores are owned and run by extreme running enthusiast who yes, are there to make a buck but also want you to love running so much that you are a lifetime customer. Go get fitted, buy them at that store the first time just for the consideration that they offered you a service. From then on buy them online or previous years models at the same price at big box store closeout prices.

I'm not a fan of barefoot running, I do agree that the closest to natural is the best but we run on unnatural surfaces and you have to protect your feet. I think a great compromise to that if that really is your thing is to ask about racing flats. They are extremely minimalist in order to be light as possible but still protect your feet from nasty stuff on the road.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Not always true........my running shoes are the same size as my street shoes (I've been running in the same brand for years) and this hasn't been an issue but the brand I buy also has a generous toe box.

I would also be wary of the "barefoot" movement, Vibram recently settled a class action lawsuit over the claimed benefits of barefoot running in general and their shoes specifically (http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/vibram-agrees-to-settle-class-action-lawsuit)

To the OP, the most important aspect is that your shoes fit correctly. Interestingly despite all of the so-called technological advances made in the world of running shoes rates of injury to runners has not changed significantly (http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/utoday/january27-2011/shoefits)

To the OP, train sensibly (build up time and distances gradually); focus of great fitting, comfortable shoes and good running form (mid foot strike)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am doing a program to train for a half marathon. The program highly suggests getting fitted for good running shoes from a specific store. I looked on the store's website and was shocked how expensive the shoes are. This will be the first thing I have trained for - running wise - so I want to have what I need to succeed, but I'm also wondering if this is just a great marketing ploy for the store. Do any runners out there have any suggestions or rules of thumb when it comes to buying footwear?
    Waht do you consider expensive?

You easily can get a very good running shoe for $80