ab lounger

Options
Any one here ever use an ab lounger? Does it work and do u kno how many calories r burned while using it?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Resistance training is not done for calorie burn, and it's almost impossible to judge how many calories it actually burns.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "does it work".

Do you mean "will it strengthen my core", or "will it help tone the midsection"?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    If you're only worried about calorie burn just do cardio. Resistance work is a long term investment in your body composition...it's not about the calories you're burning right now. Also, any piece of exercise equipment with the word "lounge" in it has to be some kind of joke. If you really want to develop your abdominal muscles do heavy compound lifts...for overall core, throw in some planks and what not...but ab lounges, crunches, situps, etc are largely a waste of time and energy.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    The best way to calculate calories burned is to invest in a good HRM, because everyone's calorie burn will be different according to their weight, even for the same amount an type of exercise.

That said, what are your goals? The ab lounger might be good for strengthening your core a little, but it probably won't burn as many calories as you think/ unless you are really going at it very intensely for extended periods of time.

If you are interested in losing inches off your midsection, that machine is going to disappoint you. You don't need fancy machines for that, anyway. Some free weights exercises (heavier than those pink 5-10 pounders) , along with a moderate calorie deficit and a little cardio is all you need to lose inches.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    1) I can't bring myself to exercise on anything that refers to itself as a lounger . . .
    2) I don't understand it's purpose, all I see is V-ups and what not that I can do on the floor just the same.
    3) crunches are not cardio, I would never give crunches more than a 10 calorie burn per session. Yoga gives me 150/hour and my hr goes up way more doing yoga.
    4) if you want your abs to show, eat at a deficit and lose fat, when you get to an appropriate weight for the way your body retains fat you're abs will show (I'm assuming that's what you mean when you say "work").
  • Mithy1
    Mithy1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So I will ask this...
    For someone older with minor but persistent hip and knee pain who is also slowly recovering from a two year bout of "Frozen Shoulder" do these types of exercise machines work? Getting down on the floor is PAINFUL when your hips aren't as young as they used to be. Lifting ANYTHING when you have a frozen shoulder is excruciating. I understand that many of these machines are gimmicks and that in a perfect world, with some effort, we would all be able to run 5 miles, do squat thrusts, and lift at least 50lbs. That's not my world. I've already lost 40 lbs. but am looking to do some toning in a manner that won't cause me to need to ingest a bottle of ibuprofen afterwards.
    So...will this help with some toning?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    For someone older with minor but persistent hip and knee pain who is also slowly recovering from a two year bout of "Frozen Shoulder" do these types of exercise machines work?

If you mean will they target the midsection fat, no. Fat loss can't be targeted. Walking will burn the same amount of ab fat as burning an equal number of calories with the Lounger.

For strengthening the muscle under the fat, it's not bad, if that's all you can do. Google "sumo squat" and see if that doesn't bother your knees. Might want to see a physical therapist to get a customized routine.