I Admit..I have an eating disorder :(

Options
Be nice people. I have been eating 900 calories a day and have been losing 1.4 to 2 pounds a week. yesterday I ate over 900 calories for the first time and the next day i gained weight. I want to eat the minimum but if i do my weight will go up. I wish i started off with the right amount of calories and i am going to be disappointed when i see the scale move up. i dont know if i will go up 5 or even 10 pounds. Anyone know why this is happening. Like I said please me respectful, Im trying to change!

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    First, you need to be respectful to yourself and see a doctor for help.
    This can be a struggle but your health is important!
    Weighing yourself everyday can be tough on you - weight loss is not linear.
    900 calories is not enough. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends a 900 cal diet for 1 year old children, to give you some perspective...
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The fact that you recognize you have a disorder is the first step in your recovery! Now, please seek professional help to continue on a path to recovery.
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    Be nice people. I have been eating 900 calories a day and have been losing 1.4 to 2 pounds a week. yesterday I ate over 900 calories for the first time and the next day i gained weight. I want to eat the minimum but if i do my weight will go up. I wish i started off with the right amount of calories and i am going to be disappointed when i see the scale move up. i dont know if i will go up 5 or even 10 pounds. Anyone know why this is happening. Like I said please me respectful, Im trying to change!

Start by upping your intake by 50 calories a week so your body has time to get used to it and you should be fine
  • Quickfeather
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from, just focus on enjoying nutritionally dense foods and slowly work you way up to a healthy amount of calories. It's not easy, I still freak out when I gain anything, but I'm working on it.
  • swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Day to day weight fluctuations happen for all sorts of reasons. Water retention, or if you're a woman, where you are in your menstrual cycle can influence it. The weight gain might not have been due to what you ate the day before! Stop weighing yourself, or limit it to once a month.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Please seek help. We are not qualified or trained to help you with this problem. People mean the best I'm sure, but anyone not trained to counsel others in eating disorders runs the risk of triggering you or making it worse.

Please get help from a professional, OP. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    You need to see a doctor. DO NOT let people on the internet counsel you on your health. It's a recipe for disaster.
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations to you for having the courage to admit you have a problem. I agree that you should see a doctor for help - one who specializes in nutrition. I hesitate to give advice but I'll give a little assuming that you are also going to see a doctor. :) Are you getting any exercise? You have most likely messed up your metabolism by eating so little and getting exercise including some strength training can increase your metabolism to help reverse that. I would definitely eat your recommended calories for weight loss plus eat back any calories you burn during exercise. At first you may see some weight gain, but just hang in there..in fact I wouldn't even get near a scale for several weeks. Good luck and please let us know how you are doing!
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Start by upping your intake by 50 calories a week so your body has time to get used to it and you should be fine

I agree. That would be the sensible thing to do... while waiting to see your doctor!
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you track daily, although it can be hard, I know that I see a spike every 4-5 days regardless of what I eat. Although it's scary at first, it becomes a numb assurance, and you can just see it as "noise" in the data. Remember, you need to eat 3500 calories OVER your TDEE to gain a pound. 700 cal over to gain .2 lbs. That's not over your goal for weight loss, it's over your TDEE.

So if you've set MFP to lose a pound a week, that's ~480 cals that it marks you under your TDEE. That means you would have to eat 1180 calories over your daily goal to TRULY gain .2 lbs.

Everything else you see is just noise. Trust the math, trust your intuition, and seek help if you're having severe, food-related anxiety.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Seek professional help. Call doctor and get info needed to start getting assistance. :flowerforyou: Congratulation at you weight loss success so far!. Seeking help will help you to keep achieving and maintaining your weight loss goals.

Posting on this forum can encourage you to seek help, but it is not the kind of professional help you need. It will help you to keep going once you've started to get help but it cannot provide you the professional help you need.

You can put a stop to the mental torture! Take action and seek professional help.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    The fact that you recognize you have a disorder is the first step in your recovery! Now, please seek professional help to continue on a path to recovery.
    this.

Take care:flowerforyou:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    We aren't qualified.

We can and will wish you the best! It's awesome that you recognize it and want help for it...

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support?gclid=CJO1wPPLpL0CFRQS7Aodx0UA8w
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    We aren't qualified.

We can and will wish you the best! It's awesome that you recognize it and want help for it...

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support?gclid=CJO1wPPLpL0CFRQS7Aodx0UA8w

Awareness is the first step, action is the second. Please seek help to find out what lies at the route of your disorder. I can assure you that you can and will get better if you want to get better. One step at a time, one day at a time.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, please seek professional help. We're not qualified to give you the help that you need.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

perfectly said. and a wonderful link.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate at least 3,500 calories OVER your maintenance then it was not real weight you gained. It is water retention.

Get professional help.
  • annonm
    annonm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, yesterday I ate OVER the recommended calories and did not even gain a pound, in fact I lost weight! :) I will eat more healthier and way more calories from now on :). Thanks everyone for your support!