New to lifting

Options
Not even sure where to begin. I just got my first gym membership, and my friend is going to show me how to use the machines tonight. As far as calories and such now - completely lost. I'm 5'6/female/20years/155.4lbs.

How often should I lift and for how long? How often should I do cardio and for how long? How many calories should I be eating?

Any sources would be appreciated as well!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As always, what - exactly - are your goals?

Without knowing that/those, nobody can really give you meaningful advice.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options

Trying to lose another 10-20lbs depending how I look at those weights. And generally just gain muscle and be toned in the process. Not sure if that's specific enough.
  • reacher14
    reacher14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Check out mike Mathews http://www.muscleforlife.com/ suggest getting his book thinner leaner stronger

1, lift free weights will increase your core strength most machines do little for you these machines worth doing though are the dip machine and the latt pull down, and the leg press, and the cable machines
    2, lift heavy weights by heavy around 80% of your one rep max do three sets of 8 if the last few of the last set are easy your weight is to light , start with 2-3 muscle groups google which type to work or mikes website but as you are staring go easy for the first week
    3. Be consistent train a minimum of three days a week no more than 60 mins and work specific muscle groups each day
    4, keep a diary
    5, up your protein
    6, drink plenty of water
    7, get a training partner
    If you need more advise message me
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
  • TR0berts
    Options
    That'll work. :smile:

Regarding Calories, stick with your "normal" Calorie amount/deficit. If doing the MFP method, eat back anywhere between 1/2-all of the Calories you burn. If doing the TDEE method, just include your strength training in your exercise total. Don't be alarmed if your weight goes up a little initially - you'll be retaining water, as you've introduced a new stress on your muscles. Do this for a month or so, look at how much weight you've lost, and see how that lines up against how much you expected to lose (if using the MFP method, and are set up to lose 1 lb per week - did you lose about 4 lbs over the course of the month?) and adjust, as necessary. With only 10-20 lbs to lose, I'd go with no more than 1 lb per week, or TDEE-20%. If you don't know what TDEE is, then you're doing the MFP method.

Regarding cardio, do whatever and as much as you like. Typically, 30-45 minutes is good, if doing steady state cardio. It's just a tool to a) help burn Calories; b) improve cardiovascular health; and c) improve endurance.

Regarding lifting, I'd suggest trying to do a full-body routine 3x week. If you could use free weights, that'll probably take 30-45 minutes. Using machines, that may take a bit longer, as you'll likely have to perform more lifts/exercises to hit the entire body.

A few places to google, regarding lifting: Starting Strength, StronLifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women (this includes cardio, too), and AllPro's Beginner's Routine.

A great group here is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

You can get a lot of good help and info there.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I also vote for Stronglifts 5x5! One thing that I found super helpful is that SL5x5 has a free iPhone app, so I bring my phone with me, track all of my reps and sets on there, and it tells me exactly when to rest and when to begin, along with when to go up in weights or when to remain at the same weight. Lifting made easy (well at least the tracking part!)
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Trying to lose another 10-20lbs depending how I look at those weights. And generally just gain muscle and be toned in the process. Not sure if that's specific enough.

Losing weight will come with a calorie deficit. It's very hard to gain muscle mass while in a deficit, but you can gain strength. As long as you are in a deficit, cardio is not required unless you want to do it for fun or to create a bigger deficit.

ETA: this is a great website to figure out how many calories you should be eating. They will include exercise burns, so don't log exercise in MFP. Also be real with your stats. Don't say you workout 1 day a week, when you really workout 5 days a week.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I hope that helps a bit.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The links listed above are great. You should also read this and maybe even join the group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/tools/calories-goal

But don't ask advice in MFP forums, you'll get 8 different answers. Look for people with big results. Google too.

Ask a worker at the gym. You're paying for it.

Good luck, now get it!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

If you wanna gain muscle and looked tone, you are going to have a hard time doing it at the same time as trying to loose the 10-20 lbs. The most common way to achieve these goals is to work on one of them at a time by doing what is called a cut/bulk cycle (which you can google for definition). Since you only have a little to loose, I would suggest working on the bulking part. For a girl, that does not mean putting on large muscles and looking masculine. The increased muscle tone will make it easier to loose those last 10-20 pounds.

You will want to eat at maintenance (or slightly above) and lift heavy. This girl should be your next new hero.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Her story should explain the rest.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    Not even sure where to begin. I just got my first gym membership, and my friend is going to show me how to use the machines tonight. As far as calories and such now - completely lost. I'm 5'6/female/20years/155.4lbs.

How often should I lift and for how long? How often should I do cardio and for how long? How many calories should I be eating?

Any sources would be appreciated as well!

i suggest you not to base the training on time but on muscles group, the cardio do it at least 40 minutes it keeps under control the overall fat not less than 40' , food not less than 1200 per day.
  • EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You want to lose the weight implement some cardio, want to tone up light weights only which you'll probably start off with keep them light so you don't bulk up and yes cardio, cardio, cardio. If you only lift you'll add weight in muscle.
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR INFORMATION AFTER WORK!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options

Many folks, like me, prefer the machines over free weights. They fit my goals, and I would bet OP's goals, better than free weights.

But yeah, OP is going to received every possible opinion as advice as to what she should be doing.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    You want to lose the weight implement some cardio, want to tone up light weights only which you'll probably start off with keep them light so you don't bulk up and yes cardio, cardio, cardio. If you only lift you'll add weight in muscle.

OP - whatever you do, ignore the quote I just posted. It is entirely wrong.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    So excited to read through all the information and references on this thread. This is exactly what I'm looking for to get started... Thanks everyone!