Running Shoes

Options
13»

Replies

• SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Not to be completely silly, but barefoot running only works in some parts of the country. I only know of one runner in Dallas that runs barefoot at races and even he owns a pair of shoes because, in his words, "If it's hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement, I'm putting on a pair of running shoes." Sadly, that's about four solid months in Texas.
    Oh haha! This is actually a really great thing to consider as I live in Texas.

Thank you - everyone for your input! VERY helpful. I will set aside the money to do it up proper.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Get one size larger than you normally wear. Even though I got "fitted" at a running store they failed to catch this. I didn't know this until I started researching why my toe nails were all black and falling off.
    That is the first time I have ever heard that and I think it is is absurd.

Maybe you always wore shoes a size too small in your lifetime.

No, this is actually a legit concern for marathoners and ultras as some find their feet expand overtime due to the excessive pounding mileage on them. Half-marathoners not so much though, wouldn't worry about it.

Most definitely not absurd. I run long distance, and used to lose 2-3 toenails every 6 months or so, until someone recommended getting a size bigger shoes. My pumps are 7.5-8, my long run brooks are 9, and my feet are blister free with a beautifully pedicured natural toenails :bigsmile:
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Not to be completely silly, but barefoot running only works in some parts of the country. I only know of one runner in Dallas that runs barefoot at races and even he owns a pair of shoes because, in his words, "If it's hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement, I'm putting on a pair of running shoes." Sadly, that's about four solid months in Texas.

Fair point. That's why some barefoot runners will opt for huaraches when the terrain becomes unfriendly. Just enough separation from the road to protect you but flexible enough that you can still "feel" the ground.
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need to go to a reputable running store and get fitted for shoes. They should watch you run and if you've been running, take your old shoes so they can look at the wear on them. This is the most important investment you can make if you want to be a runner. The wrong shoes can lead to all kinds of problems and injuries.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    As already said, get your gait checked so you know what kind of shoe you need (pronate, neutral, supinate). After that, try different brands and models for your gait. You can get less expensive models, the key is buying for your gait first. When you find what works, remember the brand & model, and look for cheaper pricing.

I happen to run in what is considered "cheap" running shoes...$45 Saucony's. That specific model works perfectly on my feet and lasts me anywhere from 300-500 miles. There's definitely some trial and error to it. Agreed about checking a running store's return policy if a shoe doesn't work out once you leave the store.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Get one size larger than you normally wear. Even though I got "fitted" at a running store they failed to catch this. I didn't know this until I started researching why my toe nails were all black and falling off.

It is far from absurd, my running shoes are one size larger than my normal shoes and no, my normal shoes are not too small.

It depends on the runner and how much their feet may swell during a run - especially a long run. Imagine running, say a half marathon, when suddenly halfway through the race, your feet have swollen and suddenly your toes are now knocking against the ends of your shoes with each step - bruising, blisters and missing toenails will be the inevitable result. Even worse, imagine the same thing happening six miles into a marathon! Bloody painful and that is putting it lightly.

Scrunched up toes in shoes that are not large enough during running will also contribute to shin splints - another Godforsaken torture that could be avoided with correct fitting shoes.

OP definitely get fitted, don't ruin your running chances before you have hardly had a chance to get going with it all.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this... I run in the opposite extreme. Temperatures here can hit -40 in the winter not including windchill.

Barefoot doesn't work when your toes have frozen and turned black. :laugh:

Barefooting is not for everyone, but if you can incorporate some shorter barefoot runs into your routine it can be quite helpful. Short barefoot runs can strengthen the intrinsic muscles of the feet and lower legs and make you a better runner. While I am not likely to run a 5K or 10K barefoot, I do try to add 1-2 KM's into my regiment on a routine basis whether on the treadmill or outside.
  • momma2azoo
    momma2azoo Posts: 50 Member
    Options

My shoes are one size bigger than my foot measured. My foot measured exactly a 7, so I feel this makes sense, especially given how hot my area gets in the summer. Things are going to swell.

It's pretty standard practice to go up 1/2 to 1 full shoes size in running shoes. It gives your foot room to expand as it swells when running. If you haven't had this suggested to you, you've been buying shoes at the wrong place. As has been mentioned, some shoes have a bigger toe box. Even that may not be enough though if your feet are prone to activity induced swelling. As with all things, it takes a little experimenting some times to find exactly what works. I go up 1/2 a size.

I'd also like to point out that it's pretty inconsiderate to go into a store, utilize an employee's time and training to get fitted for a shoe, then leave and buy that shoe online. If everyone did that our local running stores would shut down and we'd loose the many resources they provide. Don't be a cheap jerk. Get fitted, buy a pair of shoes from the local guys. After that, you can order online. If you're buying the newest model shoes, the online savings are marginal anyway.