Walking as form of exercise??

Options
Has anyone here lost a lot of pounds through walking??
Is it effective? And how long did take you?

Replies

• angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I walk 5 miles every day. Prior to February 2014 I walked 2 miles per day. Keep moving, it works.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 lbs with walking as my exercise. Keep in mind that you still have to keep at a calorie deficit, but walking will get you through. It took me about 8 months to loose the weight. I walk a minimum of 5 miles per day at a pace of about 3.5 mph.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I lost 70+ pounds in a year without doing any exercise. You don't need exercise to lose weight, but walking definitely wouldn't hurt!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I walk 6 miles 6 days a week, I have lost a few pounds. :bigsmile:
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Weightloss Starts in the Kitchen!

That being said, any extra activity can only help.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    as a person who didnt exercise, walking was very effective for me ....and it got me were I can build endurance for my now HIIT workouts I lost my first 30lbs with diet and walking about 3-4 miles each day / 3-4 per week and I wore sweats every day to well sweat more and burn more fat.
  • gabylewis22
    gabylewis22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

My main way of exercising is walking. I've lost 3 stone in 6 months. So yes, I'd say it's pretty damn effective. Try make it a power walk though, not a gentle stroll. You have to feel like your exercising.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've done 10,000 daily steps minimum for about a year. It has helped me lose some weight.
  • worldofme
    worldofme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used the walking at home DVDs because I have 3 young children with me during any exercise. I lost 60+ pounds. When I started incorporating high impact stuff and strength training I injured myself. I went through physical therapy but lost my mojo and gained 50 pounds back :-(. I am now back to using my walking DVDs and feeling much better (although I am pissed that I have to lose this 50 again!). Walking is a great form of exercise. Try to walk at a pace that will increase your cardiovascular strength as well.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yes. That's what I did last time I lost weight, this time however I enjoy being more active.

As long as you reduce your calorie intake to below your output you will lose weight.

I strongly recommend a heart rate monitor to get accurate calorie burns. Personally I like the polar ft7 but there are cheaper alternatives such as the ft4.
  • JoeMO
    JoeMO Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    For the first five months walking/hiking was my only form of exercise. I'm now trying to incorporate some other forms, but I still love to walk/hike. Go for it!! Joe MO
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yep...10000 minimum steps a day for 399 days--plus a modest calorie deficit for most of 'em....

That was good for more than 100 pounds and some self-esteem here!

Good luck!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It's all I did when I began a few years ago. I still do it now to.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. Anyone can lose or maintain a healthy weight with zero exercise let alone with the addition of regular walking.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

YES!!! It was the beginning of my journey, it got my *kitten* off the couch and moving!! I lost my first 50 lbs that way!! It was a gradual start from 15 minutes, to 30, to an hour, to 3 miles to 5 miles to the gym with a trainer! Pace yourself, don't give up and just push yourself to the limit, turn around and come back!! Just keep pushing and challenging yourself everyday and don't give up!!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Walking is my favorite exercise, and slowly getting back to it. Wanted a no-excuses exercise that would also connect me to the outside world/nature. Thanks for this thread!
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm almost down 35 pounds by strictly walking every day for 35-40 minutes with my dog.
  • BusyBirdMommy
    Options
    Oh, I hope so! LOL

My theory is that walking will burn calories a whole lot faster than sitting on my buttocks! And because I don't have the best joints anymore, walking is even more "inviting" as an exercise. I hope that with less weight on my joints (somewhere down the line) and a bit more muscle - that I will be able to step it up a bit and try some light jogging.

My guess is that everyone is different. If you are pretty healthy and used to exercise, then walking may not have as much of an impact. But if you've been sedentary for a while (like myself), then walking is a step forward (pun intended! LOL). :-)
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight primarily through hiking/walking (though as others have stated, you need to maintain a caloric deficit as well).

I'm up to between 250 - 300 miles / month averaging about 3.5 mph...

My RHR is down between 45-55 bpm and my Dr. is weening my off of blood pressure meds.

I think it's safe to say that walking *can* be a good form of exercise, but I'd recommend mixing it up with resistance training etc. (if/when you're ready) for best results.
  • Rmenifield
    Rmenifield Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    leslie sansone walk away the pounds is a great way to walk and lose weight ..sold at wallmart ..target costco etc...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!