I need my soda

Options
Ok. I do not NEED it. But I am addicted to it. Not for the cafine, though I do get headaches without it. But what I love about it so much is the fizzies.

I'm used to drinking Dr. Pepper but have thought about switching to Sprite? Would that be "good" (or OK) or is it still a no no when trying to lose a good amount of weight? (100+ lbs)

Replies

• glittersoul
    Options
    You can just cut back the amount you drink if you want to keep it. There are also carbonated water's that you can buy if you just like the fizzy factor. If you are getting headaches its probably because of caffeine withdrawal so I would slowly cut back. Just stay under your calories and you will lose weight. It has to be sustainable in the long run for you so that your weight is maintainable when you are done losing. :)

I was totally drinking all my calories and I'm trying to stop because it will be like 400 - 800 calories a day for me lol
  • jjcollins83
    Options
    i was the same way. I stop drinking pop yesterday drinking only water (with favor in it). i thnk diet pop might be better than sprite dont not for sure
  • Mission4Life
    Options
    I feel pop/soda is the thing that was holding me back. I went to Dr. Oz's website and there is a 28 day soda challenge to help you ween yourself off. I was a three 20 oz. bottles of Mountain Dew a day.

Good Luck,
    Jeff
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    seltzer water
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I drink diet coke! I try to eliminate it from my diet though, because I think it makes me crave sugar. But when I realy feel like one, I have it!
    Are you talking Diet Sprite and Diet Dr. Pepper? Unless it's diet, I don't think it's worth the calories!
  • Nikki_Marz
    Options
    The headaches are a caffeine withdrawl...I had that issue several years back and went cold turkey with my colas. I dealt with severe headaches for a week to 2 weeks before they went away entirely, and after that learnt my lesson about drinking too much caffeine laden pop. Diet pops are better calorie wise, though the aspartame and other sugar substitues still arent good for you really. So cutting back is prob your best bet. If it's the fizzies you crave, you can always use carbonated water, or other lower calorie carbonated drinks or carbonated water that have few calories.
  • hmlayman
    Options
    I mean... what about diet? Technically it's all bad for you for several reasons. What you have to decide is how much your going to drink and are you willing to work all those empty calories off? 170 cals every 12 ounces or so, right? Plus a billion carbs which are HORRIBLE and a toooooooooooooon of sugar. Really it's up to you. There's also sodium in it. It's an insignificant amount I suppose but it adds up! Here are the facts: It doesn't fill you up, you'll have to work harder at the gym or drink it instead of eat. Personally I would rather eat. Now I'm not against the idea, I myself drink one every once in a while. It just depends on what your willing to do to cope with it, ya know? Just wanted to throw all that out there! Also, just a tiny bit of interesting information.... once you haven't drank it in a while it barely taste good, fizz or not. It might be difficult at first but its very possible and beneficial to stop altogether : )
  • messa5
    messa5 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I can understand you need for soda- I haven't had a 'real' size soda in over 4 months !! I did have about 4 oz. of Coke-A-Cola on a trip- And that was enough for me- I take it day by day, at this point- I drink alot of plain ice tea, with lemon, and more water than I want- But it does get easier- If I really, really need something sweet, I will drink no more than 2 cups (usually 1) of Newman's Own lemonade- At least it doesn't have the high fructose corn syrup- I have lost close to 25 lbs, with a goal of needing to lose about 60-70 total- At this point, I look at what 'calories can I afford to have', and it seems to be working !! The longer you are w/out soda, the longer you'll do better !! Good luck !!
  • a2canadian
    Options
    there are about 3-4tbsp of sugar in a 12oz can of pop. so if you are drinking 3X20oz of pop in a day that is 1 cup of sugar. 1 CUP OF SUGAR. Just go and measure out a cup of sugar and spend 10 minutes looking at it. Now pour it into 60 oz of water and see what it tastes like. Personally I don't get the pop craze but fizzy water is a good alternative!
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    Soda was my big problem too. I first switched from Coke to Coke Zero. Now I'm drinking Club Soda with Sugar Free DaVinci Syrups to flavor it. Switching from Dr. Pepper to Sprite probably won't make any significant difference in terms of weight loss if you don't switch to diet. Good luck!
  • mbelly30
    Options
    Drink diet coke. Way better than Dr. Pepper!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Regular AND diet sodas are soooo bad for you. Please read this article:

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/diet-soda-makes-you-fat.html

and about sweeteners:

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/artificial-sweeteners-natural-stevia.html

My hubby was a big soda guy. He had a serious Mt. Dew habit, and was carrying about 40-50 extra pounds. We got him off the soda with the help of Stevia drops. He adds them to flat water, but I like them in fizzy water. His fave is root beer. It's a great alternative because you get the fizz and the flavor without any of the sugar or artificial sweeteners. These drops go a long way and last for a long time, so it's a good investment.

Here is the web site for the drops:

http://steviasmart.com/stclfl.html

Hope this helps, and loads of good wishes for your continued success!

Lucy
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr. Pepper!! MMMM! :drinker:
  • Pattilynne
    Options
    try the la croix water, it comes in cans and is carbonated. it comes in lemon, lime, and i think orange flavor. i love my pepsi, but i keep this water in the fridge for when i want the fizzy without the calories. it has zero calories, and tastes best really cold.
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    You can also get Zevia, a soda flavored with Stevia. It's available at a lot of health food stores and organic groceries. :)
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to be more blunt than usual here. I'll apologize ahead, please don't get offended by an opinion BUT, There is ZERO redeeming qualities to sugared soda, Diet sodas are not far behind. You can BS yourself about an addiction to fizzies, carmel color or whatever, but you are doing just that. The caffeine in the soda is the addiction. The headaches will stop in a day. when it comes to what may well be the most worthless product on the planet it's time to pull up our big kid pants and face facts. It's bad, loaded with empty calories, screws your teeth up and makes you fart. By the way ex-2-3 LITER/day habit. It's killing us.:mad:
  • resptech97
    Options
    Have you tried the Diet Rites? They are all really good! No sodium, no caffeine, no aspartame, NO CALORIES!! Fizzy and delicious! They have several flavors. Cherry cola, white grape, tangerine, Cola, Raspberry and a few others. Hope this helps!
  • jjcollins83
    Options
    i miss my dr.p but im pretty sure I will like losing the pounds better:)
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to be more blunt than usual here. I'll apologize ahead, please don't get offended by an opinion BUT, There is ZERO redeeming qualities to sugared soda, Diet sodas are not far behind. You can BS yourself about an addiction to fizzies, carmel color or whatever, but you are doing just that. The caffeine in the soda is the addiction. The headaches will stop in a day. when it comes to what may well be the most worthless product on the planet it's time to pull up our big kid pants and face facts. It's bad, loaded with empty calories, screws your teeth up and makes you fart. By the way ex-2-3 LITER/day habit. It's killing us.:mad:

I like your blunt, and I totally agree with you! Question: did you mean to say makes your fart? or makes you fat? Or both?! lol :)
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Diet Rite is still made with Splenda brand sucralose and Sunett brand Acesulfame potassium :(