How long does it take you to run a mile?

Options
123457»

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person.

My best 1 mile time is 7:17.
    My best 5k time is 25:17 with 7:46 being the fastest mile on that run.
    If i run longer distances, my miles are a bit slower (8:30-9:30 per mile).
  • Codester1023
    Options
    I ran my PR earlier today in 7:47.5

When I started training back on April 17th, my first mile time was 13:31. I could not even complete a full lap of running/jogging. I had to slow down to a light walk repeatedly and often ran out of breath. This coming from a, at the time, skinny young man (skinny does not always equal fit). Today if I really pushed it, I likely could have come to or near 7:30. Granted, I'm 22 years old, but still.

If anyone is looking for advice, I would say form a program, commit to it, and record your results. I run 3 days a week on M/W/F and often run in the morning and at night on those days. I started only running at night. It is cooler and I generally don't have to share the track. Then when I grew more comfortable I started incorporating a run in the morning while also increasing my distance at night. I now am up to 2.25 miles at night in ~20mins which isn't bad but isn't great. Always trying to improve every week.

I also weight lift 3 times a week Tu/Th/Sa which helps facilitate the process in my opinion.

My mile goal is to break 7 flat then move on to 1.5 mile and get that to 10 flat or less.
  • RodneyAshley
    Options
    Each individual is different, so it primarily depends on both physical and mental strengths and weaknesses of a person. Body weight, age or physical condition, running technique are just some of the major factors that can affect the running speed of a person.

At my best I did a 8 minute mile!
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My best was a 10.5 min mile I ran yesterday but I usually average around 11-12 mins.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Run a mile? I can walk a mile in 45 minutes. That's good for me, with the old arthritic knees and so on, but I'm really impressed with you and all the folks like you who can run that far that fast. Keep it up!
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Didnt read all the comments, but for me 11 minute miles were my average with 10.85 being my best. I worked my butt off to get to that time, and it was a good pace for me and i lost weight and felt good! Since your just starting and you have that time (awesome!) you will improve, just keep pushing yourself! GREAT JOB!!!!!!!
  • nh38318
    nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My best so far is 11m 45s.....have been running 6 months and it has come down from 15minutes during that time.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ran a 7:41 mile. Im 29 and currently weigh 251. Started at 284 pounds and a 14 minute mile. My goal is to is to build endurance not speed but a 7:41 mile is my fastest ever.
  • suiteblooms
    suiteblooms Posts: 100
    Options
    My current fastest was 9:03 just a few days back, and I'd like to be in the 8:00 - 8:30 in the next few months.