Android - Best App(s) for Strength Training?

Options
Hey all,

First of all I'm currently using mfp, endomodo, and jetfit as my go-to fitness apps. Jetfit is really the only one that I have that specifically targets strength training, and I'm finding it a bit of a chore to use.

I can't speak to the quality of the paid-for version, but the free version is clunky, add-ridden, and its not really very easy to string together exercises in an easy-to-follow fashion that would make it more user-friendly in the gym.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered or uses the holy grail of strength training apps; and if so what it is. Paid-for suggestions are also welcome if they really are worth paying for. I'm just looking for something that can guide me and help me track progress as effectively as mfp works for nutrition and diet.

Thanks everyone!

-James

Replies

• Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    In general my strength training routine is too intense to take breaks to log my weights. If you really must do it the best thing is to bring a pre-printed paper with the workouts you plan to do and just write your weight/reps since that will only take 5-10 seconds to do out of your 30 second rest period between exercises.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    In general my strength training routine is too intense to take breaks to log my weights. If you really must do it the best thing is to bring a pre-printed paper with the workouts you plan to do and just write your weight/reps since that will only take 5-10 seconds to do out of your 30 second rest period between exercises.

I would have to agree with this. I've been using this book for at least 8 years. But obviously any notebook would work well.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Workout-Log-Exercise-Everyone/dp/0547592124/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405380653&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Ultimate+Workout+Log:+An+Exercise+Diary+for+Everyone
  • James_Bergin
    James_Bergin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mykaelous,

I understand what you're saying, but let me clarify. I primarily use jetfit to make sure that I'm doing the exercises properly and generally don't log, or if I do its what I can remember doing after the workout.

I like the idea of just going paper based and then logging after. That being said, I'm still at a loss for some kind of app that can help me get going doing exercises properly. I don't want to run the risk of injury or making no progress because I don't know what I'm doing lol.

Anyone know of such an app? Or even a strategy for making designing your strength training regimen and ensuring you're using proper form!?

Thanks again.

- James
  • James_Bergin
    Options
    Thanks Vega!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. When I first started lifting I had a binder of exercises that I took with me to the gym that I used for reference. I also used bodybuilding,com. They have videos on there too. Good luck!
  • edwardryan8808
    edwardryan8808 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com and Skimble. Skimble is an app that has workouts, shows you how to do them, and logs when you complete a workout. You can choose workouts, make workouts, find muscle specific exercises, and keep your favorites. I tried jefit too.... Waaay too complicated. Skimble is a breeze.
  • edwardryan8808
    edwardryan8808 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    And that would be Skimble's 'Workout Trainer'.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a pure "logging" app you can try Liftbook. It has a couple of built in programs and generates warmup sets as well.

Doesn't do much beyond logging.
  • James_Bergin
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    JEFIT is a coo app!l
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    Despite it being sometimes clunky and frustrating, I like the BodySpace app from my.bodybuilding.com best. At least it is LESS clunky and frustrating than Jefit.
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com's BodySpace is awesome.
  • eleamtedon
    Options
    Hi, did you try You Are Your Own Gym (by Mark Lauren)? The YAYOG app includes both the exercises descriptions (and a few predefined programs) and the timers, plus it records your history.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I use Jefit. Not sure what you mean about it being a chore. I put in custom workouts on my computer (I'm doing Strong Curves) and when I get to the gym, I just bring up the workout I want and it practically walks through by itself. I only ever have to put the weight/reps once for each exercise and then I can just press enter for the next sets. It even lets me set up super sets. The exercise glossary is pretty extensive, it has nice animations showing you how each thing works, and they're easy to search by name or by by muscle group.