Replies

• nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump for later....
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    For reference, I don't do tdee, weigh 128lb and log 175 cals per hour for a workout.i suspect it's more like 300. I'm 15-18% bf. Sometimes my lifting sessions are incredibly sweaty and challenging.

I try to slightly undereat a few days a week then be a bit more relaxed a couple of days. I wouldn't want to be any bigger. I don't underestimate any of my cardio though. I've maintained this for a while.

Awesome. Would you mind sharing what your calorie goal is per day? Is it 1200 plus exercise calories, or more?

EDIT:

I saw it's 1750! Is that your BMR?

I am trying to lose 5-10 lbs and then I want to try to maintain within that range doing bulks/cuts... sounds like what you do will be the best thing to stay in that range.

Thanks for your help!!!
  • Sarasota_Guy
    Sarasota_Guy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah I just use the base numbers MFP gives you. I know they're only an approximation, but I'm sure they're close enough :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    For reference, I don't do tdee, weigh 128lb and log 175 cals per hour for a workout.i suspect it's more like 300. I'm 15-18% bf. Sometimes my lifting sessions are incredibly sweaty and challenging.

I try to slightly undereat a few days a week then be a bit more relaxed a couple of days. I wouldn't want to be any bigger. I don't underestimate any of my cardio though. I've maintained this for a while.

Awesome. Would you mind sharing what your calorie goal is per day? Is it 1200 plus exercise calories, or more?

EDIT:

I saw it's 1750! Is that your BMR?

I am trying to lose 5-10 lbs and then I want to try to maintain within that range doing bulks/cuts... sounds like what you do will be the best thing to stay in that range.

Thanks for your help!!!

Hi!

That's my tdee MINUS exercise cals. The higher the better! Especially as I'm getting long in the tooth and LOVE food.

It's actually halfway between sedentary and lightly active on the scooby calc. I put this down to several things. I think recovering from weight training adds a bit extra 3 x week, I don't have a tv or sofa so I never veg. I walk everywhere, and have a nine year old son. There's a small chance I am slightly underestimating my cardio calories, and I train for triathlon so that could ramp up quite quickly.

Whatever, I also forget to log the odd thing too, but I'm maintaining, and it works!

Ps you really want to lose? You have a gorgeous body!
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. MFP will only give me 200 calories for an hour of lifting. Could that be right?? That doesn't make me want to keep lifting! Lol! I can burn that much running for 20 minutes!

When it comes to weight lifting you have to remember It's not all about calorie expenditure. if you're weight training you are increasing your body's muscle mass and thereby increasing your basal metabolic rate (aka how many calories you burn at rest). Running may burn more calories but it's not going to have the same effect on your BMR.

I have many friends that do Olympic Lifting at Crossfit and they easily burn 800 calories in a session. If you're interested in burning more calories in a weight lifting session consider a high intensity interval workout or supersets. For instance, a set of squats followed by a set of mountain climbers (http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness_programs_exercise_library_details.aspx?exerciseid=258) then rest. Workouts like this will combine both strength and endurance training so you'll torch calories as opposed to a traditional lift session.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    As a result of this thread, I have made some major changes to how I train.

I only do the warm up and work sets of my 5/3/1 routine and I only do it twice a week (two main lifts each day) and use the same weights/reps as my last "bulk" cycle ...and on bench day I'll do pendlays just cuz. Then twice a week I do all of my strong curves type stuff, and do metabolic lifting like bear complexes, circuit training, etc. I am giving myself liberty to enjoy these work outs and explore different ways of working muscles. And I am logging no more than 10 calories for it.

I also have added more cardio into my routine. At least 10 minutes on lift days, but typically I do 20. I also am focusing on cardio on non-lifting days- which I have always been trying to do. I do HIIT some days and sometimes I just do steady state. I log cardio calories and eat them back.

I'm at 1200 + cardio calories.

This feels good. I'm no longer bored by my routine- having fun in the gym again. And I have already lost a little weight- 2 lbs since I switched to this new routine.

I'll probably stick to this for a while. I'm still trying to lose 8 more lbs.