How does weight fluctuate after surgery?

Options
I am having breast reduction surgery in a couple days. I'm not obsessed with my weight, I see fluctuations all the time and shrug it off, but I am curious. I expect that, all these equal, I should see - the day of surgery vs. the day after surgery, the weight lost = to amount of breast tissue removed. However, I know that isn't the case. I'm wondering, how much fluctuation will there be? Will I be additional pounds over for water retention? (I do keto and I'm sticking with it during the surgery and after) Or will I weigh less and eventually gain it back due to potentially lesser amounts of blood as a result of surgery? Since it's surgery on my breasts, will hormones play a factor?

I'm just curious, really, and interested in how much I should trust the scale post-surgery. I'm 1 pound away from 40#s total lost, and I'm extremely eager to see how much the surgeon will be taking off, since the #s taken off range between 1.5lbs to 10lbs, from anecdotes that I've seen.

EDIT: Also, pre-emptively, because I've been told this on many weight loss forums: No, losing weight will not reduce my breasts. 40lbs in and my breasts have not reduced in size one bit - in fact, since starting weight loss, I have begun birth control, and I think my breasts have become BIGGER.

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    You will certainly see a LOT of post-surgery water bloat. I've had several friends have similar surgery, and all have easily had at least 5-15lbs of water gain. It is NORMAL. They pump you all full of IV fluids plus the body's normal water retention to fuel healing. Don't be surprised to see the bloat all around your lower torso (belly/abdomen).

Rest assured, it will subside. Follow all doctor's orders and you'll do great. Good luck and godspeed your healing:flowerforyou:
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is what I figured was most common! I hope I can shed that bloat quickly, because just being post-op is uncomfortable enough, adding bloating won't make it much easier.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, lots and lots of water retention bloat. Could be 10-20 lbs worth of water retention depending on how your body reacts!
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is what I figured was most common! I hope I can shed that bloat quickly, because just being post-op is uncomfortable enough, adding bloating won't make it much easier.

The drugs used in anesthesia will definitely cause water retention and most pain medications will do the same as well as impair normal bowel movements... aka it all adds up to temporary weight increase.

I wouldn't worry too much about an increase... try and eat as clean as possible and you shouldn't have any long lasting weight changes!