Secret Eater

Options
Hey,

This is my first post and I hope to make more as I start to use the app over the coming months.

"I am a secret eater!"

I am also a personal trainer to make things worse. I know what I should be doing, I know the science behind it all but I just can't seem to stick to any routine. I come home in the middle of the day and eat junk. I go hide in my car at work so that the other trainers don't see me eating crisps, chocolate, cookies! To make matters worse I am recovering from a dislocated fibula so my exercise level has been as low as it has ever been in my life. I just can't get into a routine with "healthy eating". I like good food, but I am lazy and can't be bothered to prepare anything. I don't even feel better after eating the crap and it doesn't make sense to eat like I do. I wanted to know if anyone has any techniques/advice on how to change my mindset. I watch my clients on a daily basis get results from my advice and I am a complete hypocrite and go home and eat anything and everything! How do people like your good selves make those changes? I'm embarrassed to be a personal trainer and go home and do the opposite to what I just preached for the day.

Thank you for taking the time to listen it feels good just to put it out there

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    ... track what you eat and make it fit your macros!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i was the same way, smuggling snacks into my room or going straight to the fridge when i was home alone

you just have to realize that those habits are what are holding you back, and the short lived satisfaction of eating junk food is outweighed one hundredfold by reaching the health and fitness goals that you set for yourself.

next time you are tempted to do this, take a step back and think "do i really need this? will i feel better or worse 15 mins after eating all that crap?". honestly just taking that second to think about it makes a world of difference, its what helped me get over this habit of "secret eating" that you speak of.
  • niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think if it were this easy for the poster they would have it licked my friend!
  • niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I suggest some counseling to help with your support also. Sounds like you are down on yourself and displaying an addictive trait for some reason. I think once you get to the bottom on WHY you are doing this it will help.

The eating is only the symptom. Best wishes to you!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I like good food, but I am lazy and can't be bothered to prepare anything.
    Well, there's your problem. You will have to make the time and come up with recipes/meals/packable lunches and have them on hand so that you're not tempted to overeat in your car.

When you are temped to eat sweets/crisps in the car, is it because you're hungry, or is it because you feel they are taboo? I eat processed 'unhealthy' food every day. I just make sure that I eat enough high-volume, lower calorie/gram food so that I am satisfied. I'm having mac n cheese for lunch today and I might have some tortilla chips and salsa as a snack, but I know exactly how many calories are in each, so I will only be having one serving of each.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this for years. I'd hid wrappers in my purse or pockets and throw them out before I got home. If I secret ate at home I'd go out to the big garbage can outside and throw it away there (after sticking them in a different plastic bag)

One of the biggest things that helped me was to stop carrying my debit card, honestly. That way I wouldn't have the means to purchase the food. I know a lot of people don't like doing that for emergency reasons, but everything worked out okay.

Another thing I did was try to surround myself with people. My boyfriend isn't a snacker, so I'd always feel like the fat kid if I was at his house and really wanted to snack.

Sometimes I do get that urge to go wild in the chip aisle but I just try to mentally center myself. Why am I feeling this way, what kind of day am I having, etc.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    What you eat in private you wear in public ---that's my mantra
  • 5humpd01
    5humpd01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals. I can really see there is a proper community on here. Some great tips too. As silly as it sounds but not having money does help. When I don't have the money or don't have access to the readily available processed foods I do eat better out of necessity. I think I need to want it more and to find that key to staying on track. I will be using my fitness pal religiously as it looks like people on here are having great results. I try to talk to friends about it but they just laugh at me and say I'm not "fat". For me I am on a rocky road in the wrong direction and have created some seriously bad habits. I look forward to using a community that wants to help each other. Thank you for your replies. This vicious cycle needs to stop.