fitbit

Options
Has anyone used the fitbit? I am looking into purchasing one, and all of the reviews are good, but I'm still not sold on it!

Replies

• scottg9999
    Options
    I purchused one about a week ago. They are certainly a good pedometer... no issue with that. I think where they excel is they log you daily activities automatically tracking them wireless on a nicely designed and free web page. Since I have had mine, it has always made me go out of my way to walk more/be more active each day to up my step count.

If you have any questions about how soundly you sleep, the fitbit will also provide you an answer to that.

The forums don't seem very active and the food log isn't as good as the one on this website, but that is what this site is for!

If you get one, add me as a friend on that site and we can challenge each other with number of steps, activity or distance.

Scott
  • jrd2011
    Options
    How is it with tracking the calories you burn? Does it seem accurate?
  • scottg9999
    Options
    It seems pretty good a tracking calories for some things. If I take it for a walk, the calories will be very similar to those that would be calculated on this web site based on speed and time. I also have worn it on my shoe while doing the elliptical trainer and as they state on their web site, it is accurate for low resistance, but not so for medium or high. I am currently working out on medium resistance and find it reports about 10 or 15% less than the elliptical trainer will report. I assume as the resistance increases, the accuracy will decrease.

You can also use it to log events separately. For example you are heading out on a run you press the button at the start and the button at the end and it will give you lots of details of that specific event (Duration, Calories burned, Steps taken and Pace overall or graphically throughout the event). You can then take that specific information and use it on this web site.

For me (in addition to gym workouts) it has really pushed me to be more active throughout the day. For the winter, I spend a fair amount of time behind a desk. Before getting this, I would often find myself trying to be as efficient as possible when leaving my desk (I would try and accomplish as many things on a very limited number of trips), but with the fitbit I get up and walk around much more and as inefficiently as possible (go to furthest bathroom, furthest copier, visit others instead of call/emailing etc).

My big problem is I lost mine yesterday.... I am going to retrace my steps and hope I can find it. After thinking about the benefits last night, I decided I would definitely purchase a new one today if it can't be located.

Scott
  • amy_fitbit
    Options
    jrd2011, glad to hear you are considering Fitbit. I work for Fitbit, so if we can answer any questions about it for you - please let us know. I think Scottg9999 has done a great job of capturing how Fitbit works - especially capturing your activity throughout the day. Scottg9999 let us know if you find your lost Fitbit Tracker today, or our support team (support@fitbit.com) can help you out. Good luck with your goals!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have had mine a couple of months and love it.
    I dont track all my food on both sites. I wait till The end of the day and add my MFP total on fitbit as a new food. It is a real time saver.

Scott:
    When you find or replace your fitbit a cheap and simple solution to keeping up with it is in the hair acessories aisle.
    I use the real long thin hair ties/headbands. I put a tight knot in one end just so you have to force it over the fitbit then I use the other to secure to my clothes with a pin.
  • gordowens
    Options
    My wife and I received our fitbit's from Santa this last December after detailed amounts of review and research. Comparing the sleep mode and wireless sync there is nothing else out there like it. Very easy to wear and use without question. Although I do wish that the myfitnesspal link would hurry up and be completed as it is my prefered method for food logs (Best solution available for tracking Herbalife product consumption). I have to admit that now having the fitbit's has created a bit of a contest between my wife and I to see who can do more every day. We have started walking most everywhere just to pull the numbers. In reality I bet our exercise has doubled since. Great purchase in my opinion, you can't go wrong!
  • Langlady
    Langlady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have done a lot of research as well. I just bought one for my fiance for his birthday and one for myself. We are both rather competitive buthave reached a rut. So hoping this will help push us over that with some friendly competition.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm purchasing one today. I've done a lot of research and it sounds like a neat little gadget. I think it will keep me going and doing more then I do now. I also have a Mio HRM watch and will compare it to fitbit to test it for accuracy.

BTW Scott, you can always clip it to your bra. :laugh:
  • RobiStephens
    Options
    I just got mine last Friday and I love, love, love it!
  • niamhgill
    Options
    I got mine 10 days ago and loved it - but lost it yesterday :-( :-( :-(. Have been wearing it on my bra where it was safe but was flying yesterday so wore it on my pocket so that I could easily remove it going through security....and it disappeared. Very disappointed :-(
  • schafer8
    schafer8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I lost my fitbit on Thursday. I got it a few weeks ago and had it with my at the gym Thursday and am pretty sure I had it home Thursday after the gym. But later that afternoon, I couldn’t find it.

I had no idea where it was and I was out of town Friday & Saturday, so I was surprised to see that it synced Saturday!

I bought two fitbits – one for me and one for my wife. And she had plugged the fitbit sync station into her laptop around noon on Sat after her workout and it looks like my fitbit sync’d as well! Mine showed almost no activity, but battery level was high –I’m pretty sure I charged it after the gym on Thursday.

I was thinking that the fitbit must be in the house somewhere. Today I plugged the sync station into my laptop – and voila, it synced again a few minutes later.

So, my question – is there any way to detect where my fitbit actually is? Is there a direction finder app that will let me know if I’m getting warm as I get closer with my laptop & sync station? And will let me ‘ping’ it to see if it’s still alive, closer, etc? I’m imagining something like one of the old radio direction finder things – or a wifi strength indicator.

Please let me know before the battery dies!

Thanks,
    joseph
  • bbrahma
    Options
    I got one and I love it. I think when you go to the site to see how active you have been, it helps to make you want to do more! It seems like it's pretty accurate, too. It doesn't have to be charged daily which is nice and like it was said, one of the biggest advantages is it syncs to MFP automatically.
  • spaceys
    Options
    the fitbit is a great thing. the integration with MFP can be frustrating at times, but overall I highly recommend it.
  • jimkorein
    Options
    I lost my fitbit yesterday. Did you ever get an answer about sensing it to find it?
  • labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've worn mine almost every day for about 16 months now. It definitely keeps me motivated to walk/move more and I do think the above post about accuracy of calorie count is good. Mine is now disintegrating though from being worn so long. The black part is falling off. So far I have glued it back on, but it's days are numbered I'm sure.... but it still works.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i just got mine and i love it so far. its so easy to use. the hardest part was syncing to MFP, but i quickly found instructions on MFP on how to do this.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for over a year and literally cannot go a day without it! Not only that, but it's a sturdy little thing, too! I accidentally threw mine in the washing machine (it was still attached to my sports bra) and it went through the wash and dry cycle and came out completely fine! I wouldn't recommend doing that all the time, but it didn't seem to do anything to mine! I love it!
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i've had mine a little over a month and i love it. It kinda of motivates me to do more
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my FitBit... I don't go anywhere without it! I highly recommend it !! :)
  • grayyoung84
    grayyoung84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    According to Fitbit it can sync anywhere within 17ft line of sight. Happy hunting! lol