Healthy Eating for Cheap

Options
2»

Replies

• piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's actually easy to eat healthy on the cheap. Buy in bulk when possible for things you can freeze or that have a long shelf life and pay attention to sales.

Chicken breast: $2/lb
    Head of lettuce: $1
    Sweet potatoes: $1/lb
    In season fruit: $1/lb
    In season veggies: $1/lb
    Dry beans/rice: $1/lb (makes A LOT)
    Peanut butter: $3/jar
    Milk: $3/gallon
    Eggs: $1.50/dozen
    FF plain yogurt: $2/pint

Prepackaged, ready to eat food is more expensive that fresh food all day long. You can easily eat well for less than $50/week.

Where do you live. Even on in season and sale I can't get food as most of those prices. The only time I see chicken breast at $2.00 per pound is when it has about 12 hours left on its sale by date.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was more expensive also until I sat down, planned out my meals and then shopped according to my list. Many of the items I purchase aren't over $4. Brown rice, fruits, veggies, whole wheat pastas, and so on can be very cheap. Now when you get into tofu, portobello mushrooms, quinoa, and gluten free rice flour and the like it can be a little pricey for such the small amount; but then again I don't use these things very often and am very selective to the kind that I buy. I recommend you just decide what you'd like to eat, make a shopping list, find the best sales and deals and you'll realize it's not expensive, or should I say anymore expensive than anything else. Have you seen the price of a big bag of dorito's lately? LOL
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The trifecta for me is not being very good in the kitchen, not enjoying being in the kitchen and there only being the two of us who tire of leftovers very quickly. If I could bring myself to enjoying cooking, I think we'd be in great shape (physically and monetarily).
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Aaah it makes me nuts when people say this because unless you are buying the trendy 'health' food or ridiculous out of season imported fruit/veggies eating healthy is sooo much cheaper than processed food, even fast food.

Eggs, beans, lentils and rice are as cheap as they come. A whole chicken, or even a cooked rotisserie chicken, will last you for several meals. You can even order different grains through whole sale supply or amazon and get them good and cheap. Get fruits/veggies in season and on sale, and supplement with frozen.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    A whole chicken, or even a cooked rotisserie chicken
    You must be thinking of someone else, me and my partner can make a chicken last at most 3 meals (not including making stock) and free range chicken (less a heath issue than an ethics one) is still like 10-12 quid per chicken.