Some good vegetables for casserole dishes?

Options
paulzli
paulzli Posts: 72 Member
As the thread subject suggests, any ideas out there? I personally like a casserole that isn't very heavy--aka thick, creamy, cheesy, etc without a lot of starchy veggies.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    For casseroles, I like to stick with vegetables that won't be ruined in case they get overcooked. Onions, carrots, mushrooms come to mind.
  • paulzli
    Options
    True. I was hoping for some high fiber ones as well. Would spinach work well?
  • Flyers1010
    Flyers1010 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    True. I was hoping for some high fiber ones as well. Would spinach work well?

Spinach is a great addition to casseroles. As a matter of fact, I need to pick some up today to add to tonight's dinner! :-)
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I posted a Heavenly Squash Casserole a few days ago that is high in fiber and really good. Might want to check it out. Hope you like it..
  • ashthecat15
    ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I like to take frozen spinach, and pulverize it in my food processor. It works great in casseroles. I especially like it in lasagna. I mix the spinach in with the low fat ricotta cheese. It works wonders when feeding picky children.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I like to take frozen spinach, and pulverize it in my food processor. It works great in casseroles. I especially like it in lasagna. I mix the spinach in with the low fat ricotta cheese. It works wonders when feeding picky children.

What a great idea... Thank you..
  • ashthecat15
    ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

What a great idea... Thank you..

It also works great in meatloaves, and burgers. The spinach basically turns into a powder. I bet I could add it to zucchini bread too. Now the wheels in my brain are spinning with new ideas.
  • paulzli
    Options
    ^^^ !!!!!! Let the think tank continue.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Cabbage and squash come to mind.
    Here's two I love.

http://www.health-bent.com/beef/paleo-unrolled-cabbage-casserole

http://www.cindystable.com/creamy-spinach-butternut-squash-lasagna/

These are delicious.
    I can't eat casseroles with a lot of cheese, heavy cream or canned soups either.
  • christullos
    Options
    You can use almost any veggie you want. Just adjust the size of the veggie in your dish. If a veggie has a tendency to become mushy when cooked, ( broccoli, cauliflower, squash for example) cut them larger than veggies that keep their crispness ( onions, carrots, fresh green beans).

On a side note if you are looking for moisture in your casserole, use veggies like onions, mushrooms and fresh spinach. These veggies release a lot of water when cooked.
  • jd1208
    jd1208 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Not sure about spinach, if I did add it it would be just before serving and I wouldn't leave it in the batch cook.

I love turnip/swede, mushrooms, carrot, peas and cabbage. I usually add the lot. Haha