Mentally preparing to loose weight ...

Options
... if there was a single reason for why people start and then stop a fitness quest: lack of mental preparedness. We've all done it. We've started ( stopped ), joined a gym ( never went ), bought a homegym ( never used it ). All fluff, rah-rah aside - we must self-motivate, and that motivation * must * be imprinted on the frontal cortex so that each morning when we wake up and walk into the kitchen ( where the massacres begin and end in caloric fashion ) you prepare yourself for battle by making sure that you

(a.) eat right,
(b.) log it on the MFP app,
(c.) prepare your meals for work and
(d.) do it over again.

MENTAL PREP. More like mental 'battle' prep. Weight loss is a battle, period. And from what I have experienced, its a non-stop, savage low-level internecine war that lasts our entire lifetime.

Several suggestions:

(a.) POST photos, pictures of the body type you want.
(b.) WATCH videos on youtube of trainers, lifters, runners, builders, etc.
(c.) READ material on fitness, nutrition from those you respect in the fitness industry.
(d.) FIND GROUPS to join that * emphasize fitness motivation * ( I have found Twitter to be excellent )
(e.) VANITY: look at this photos daily to mentally prepare and remind yourself of your goal.

"A game is lost well before the start of the whistle. You lose it mentally."
- Coach Vince Lombardi, Green Bay Packers

"Preparation is victory."
- 1980 US Hockey Team

Mike

Replies

• shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    That's why I come here to soak up the inspiration! :)
    MFP is full of so many great stories and knowledgeable people. I recommend it to everyone.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I always tell people, if you are not mentally ready to lose weight, then you are not ready.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with this at all. I think a large majority of why people fail is because the OVERLY mentally prepare. "Ok, this week is it! I'm gonna eat right and exercise every day!" They psyche themselves up, but fail to follow through, or else give up after a few days. The problem is not mental preparedness, but a lack of action.

What made my story successful, was DOING. No mental preparedness, no self-pep talk, just action. When I get up in the morning to go to the gym, I do not think. Thinking gives me time to talk myself out of it. So I turn my brain off, roll out of bed, get dressed, grab a water and get out the door. By the time it kicks in what I'm doing, I'm already on my warmup set. No mental preparation needed.
  • MickStewartPFT
    Options
    * SUPERB * comment! ---> Momo2009. Well said.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    To me the mental aspect is just as important as the physical. My emotions dictate my eating and visa versa. It has been such a mental roller coaster for me and I am not done yet!! I think that's why the community aspect of this is so important. When I want to be lazy and eat bad, my family just sits idly by and watches as I do so. My MFP family will not!!! They will tell me to get off my *kitten* and do something and make sure that I do better tomorrow. They wont let me quit!!!!! I feel like that is the reason I have found success!!!! :)
  • marzajones
    marzajones Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks that's great advice the battle does seem to begin in the mind! Trying to get mine back on track! All the best! :smile:
  • angiesammich
    angiesammich Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree! If my head is not in it and I don't have the motivation, I don't eat right, I don't exercise and I feel like crap. I am not sure where the motivation comes from but when I have it, I have it. The problem is that when I lose the mindset, what helps to get it back quickly, rather than when I've gained all the weight I've lost, back?
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Good post, there is an even deeper mental part about weight loss when you have lots to lose. Not knowing the new person you are, letting go of the old one, being treated differently. Its all part of it.
  • WorkoutJunkie1
    Options
    The mental preparation is so hard. Back when I first started to lose weight in June 2013, it was so easy to go out there and exercise, but until I got my depression under wrap and taken care of, I wasn't changing my entire mindset. I was still eating comfort foods. It wasn't until I started figuring out what was truly bothering me that I started to actually change every aspect of my life around for the better. I think that's why most reality shows around weight loss always focus on the mental preparation because if you're not into it mentally, you won't last physically.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    So so true. How do you harness this focus? I have not been able to.
  • Determinedtowin64
    Options
    i agree.. it was a mental thing that made me obese..yes, i overate,and was sedentary, but what caused it? I wont go into it here, but it was definitely a mental thing... so it stands to reason that to lose weight you have to be mentally prepared. i had to analyze what had made me get so big...sort it out in my head... come to terms with it... and then i was mentally prepared to take the step of losing weight :)
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    thank you, it IS a battle, every damn day! but if you prepare, it's MUCH easier to wage war! :-)
    just what i needed to see today!! :-)
  • ZuriLady
    ZuriLady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is tough, but when I doubt myself and start missing my casual approach to eating any and everything - I look in a mirror. That helps me.
    I have been in it for 8 days and already lost 6 pounds - this was a boost of mental strength. I can do it. I can actually change my life and regain control of my lifestyle to better health.
  • Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I consider it a minor mistake to focus on "losing weight". "Change my eating habits" is a more constructive catch phrase for me.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Thoughts can inspire actions, sure.

But the missing balance in that is knowing that actions inspire thought.

How many times have you heard "I never even want to work out an hour ago, but now I'm so glad i did, I feel great, I did great! I didn't feel like pushing myself an hour ago, but once I started, it was on!"

Think in one hand, take action in another, see which gets you further.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I consider it a minor mistake to focus on "losing weight". "Change my eating habits" is a more constructive catch phrase for me.

I find this true as well. The mental preparation is not a key for me. Neither is "motivation" because I am the least motivated person I know.

What has helped was changing my habits and getting used to those new habits. Switching to foods that were more nutrient dense, training my car to drive straight to the gym after work instead of home; these have been useful to me.

For me, the mental prep isn't important because if it were, I'd be at the starting line still, primarily because I can spend too much time in my head. For me, it was the "just doing" part of it that helped drop kick me down the road. For people who operate differently than I do, mental preparation may be key.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to write this. I have to say first though is I can't stand grammar police, especially when people are trying to be helpful.. they are the "looser's" in this aspect because you were trying to motivate and inspire and it looked like it worked with quite a few, including me.

I agree with you on some level. The mental part of losing weight is the most challenging. Everyone knows what they need to do for the most part. Exercise and eat well, and don't eat more than your weight in gold. I know so so MUCH about nutrition, but when I get sad.. I eat... when I get stressed.... I eat... when I get jealous... I eat... or drink.. any negative emotion I try to fix it with food. I know know know, that is the worst thing to do, because it doesn't even make me feel better when it's happening. So, yes, if I could have a nice healthy mind all of the time, I would be mom of 2 with a six pack and not nearly as much to cushion.

You can put everything in place to make losing weight and getting fit so easy... but life happens and emotional eaters eat :( I haven't given up and if anything I've said rings true for anyone who may happen to read this, don't you give up either. Work on your healthy mind just as much as your healthy body. Only have one of each :)
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Mental preparedness =/= motivation

Knowledge is not the sole component of weight loss (or achieving any sort of goal for that matter). It is just one aspect. Drive and determination are necessary in order to apply the knowledge.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Mental preparedness =/= motivation

Knowledge is not the sole component of weight loss (or achieving any sort of goal for that matter). It is just one aspect. Drive and determination are necessary in order to apply the knowledge.

Agreed. I've seen a lot of people do what you call "prep" and get very revved up at the start. But then they lose it and no matter how "prepped" they are, it doesn't prepare them for the long term commitment they have to make. Not only that, a lot of people tend to choose unrealistic goals/pictures and such and it ends up actually demotivating them soon after they take those first steps towards their goal.

Knowledge, drive and determination are all needed. In fact, I'd add commitment as well...screw motivation. It comes and goes, changes and can be fickle and fleeting. Relying on that isn't going to keep you going. But making a commitment to yourself will push you a lot more and lot further than waiting to feel/be motivated.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Exercise and eat well, and don't eat more than your weight in gold. I know so so MUCH about nutrition, but when I get sad.. I eat... when I get stressed.... I eat... when I get jealous... I eat... or drink.. any negative emotion I try to fix it with food. I know know know, that is the worst thing to do, because it doesn't even make me feel better when it's happening. So, yes, if I could have a nice healthy mind all of the time, I would be mom of 2 with a six pack and not nearly as much to cushion.
    I agree with this- any stress or tiredness and I would turn to food. It's all the mental game that's important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. At the moment I am in a good headspace and am exercising and eating well. I just hope I don't slip back to the vicious cycle of binge eating if anything bad happens in my life in the future.