Under eating

Options
Hi
Can under eating really stop you losing weight?

I eat around 1000 calories a day, when I complete my food diary I get a message to say I am under eating and this could prevent my weight loss.

TBH, I am not seeing the weight drop off........

Replies

• tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Don't go below 1,200 net calories. (net calories means eat more if you burn more than your daily allowance)
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If you do not meet your caloric needs your body senses starvation and will store ALL of the very few calories you eat preventing weight loss. Don't go below 1,200 net calories. (net calories means eat more if you burn more than your daily allowance)

Oh, herrrre we goooo...
  • chilledbeast
    chilledbeast Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you do not meet your caloric needs your body senses starvation and will store ALL of the very few calories you eat preventing weight loss. Don't go below 1,200 net calories. (net calories means eat more if you burn more than your daily allowance)

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha no.
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Your body is already proving to you that this is true. Starvation mode does exist and the worst part is when you come out of starvation mode you can gain weight if you overdo it. Like on person replied work hard to hit 1200 but do it in a healthful way. Be glad that you don't have the opposite problem which is over doing your calories just tweek it a little. Have a protein bar or something. GOOD LUCK!
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It's more likely you won't eat enough, secretly binge and then come back to MFP complaining that you are doing everything right but still not losing weight.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If the body hangs on to EVERY SINGLE ounce of fat due to undereating, explain to the victims of the concentration camps why they died of starvation? Oh you can't... they died of starvation.

Under eating will slow weight loss but it DOES NOT STOP IT. You will actually lose weight more safely by eating more and probably more quickly as the body will use the energy more efficiently.
  • CuckooGoose
    CuckooGoose Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks, I will try and bump it up and see what happens, although I find doing that I am just eating for the sake of eating not that I am hungry :-):smile:
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    OK, I guess I should have mentioned you'll lose muscle mass if you continuously eat at a deficit. My bad.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Your body is already proving to you that this is true. Starvation mode does exist and the worst part is when you come out of starvation mode you can gain weight if you overdo it. Like on person replied work hard to hit 1200 but do it in a healthful way. Be glad that you don't have the opposite problem which is over doing your calories just tweek it a little. Have a protein bar or something. GOOD LUCK!

How do people die of starvation then?
  • nicailyzee
    Options
    No one said the starvation mode lasts forever. People on concentrations camps don't have options they are being starved. This is obviously not what we are talking about. The starvation mode we are speaking of is your bodies quick response to not eating correctly for a short period of time. If you keep starving yourself like no food at all only rations like on a concentration camp you will loose weight. This is not a recommendation by MFP or anyone. My momma always said if you don't have anything good to say say __________________________!

If you feel like you are eating just for the sake of eating then you need to add more fat or protein into what you are eating to bump up the calories just don't over do it. Instead on one serving of protein eat two or something. Change your mind set from the way you are thinking. Think about eating for your health not just for the sake of it.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options
    OK, I guess I should have mentioned you'll lose muscle mass if you continuously eat at a deficit. My bad.

Not if you eat enough protein.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options
    No one said the starvation mode lasts forever. People on concentrations camps don't have options they are being starved. This is obviously not what we are talking about. The starvation mode we are speaking of is your bodies quick response to not eating correctly for a short period of time. If you keep starving yourself like no food at all only rations like on a concentration camp you will loose weight. This is not a recommendation by MFP or anyone. My momma always said if you don't have anything good to say say __________________________!

If you feel like you are eating just for the sake of eating then you need to add more fat or protein into what you are eating to bump up the calories just don't over do it. Instead on one serving of protein eat two or something. Change your mind set from the way you are thinking. Think about eating for your health not just for the sake of it.

Oh Lord.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi

I eat around 1000 calories a day, when I complete my food diary I get a message to say I am under eating and this could prevent my weight loss.

The 1200 calories minimum recommended for women is a lot more about making sure you get all of the necessary nutrients into your diet than anything to do with weight loss. The less you're eating the harder it is to get in enough fat, protein, iron, calcium and other vitamins & minerals into your diet. Depending on how long you stay at those levels and how deficient you are, this could lead to hormone imbalances and vitamin deficiencies that could affect your health in ways other than stalling your weight loss.

But, it's also important to note that depending on your measuring devices (if you're using measuring cups or eyeballing portion sizes or using restaurant estimates, etc) you may actually be eating more than you think.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    No. Undereating will not make you gain weight. You should eat more than 1000 calories, but it has nothing to do with "starvation mode"
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Will there ever be a consensus on this starvation mode thing?
  • nicailyzee
    Options
    Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low energy intake levels. During short periods of energy abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores.

Our main energy source is from food which is fuel which in turn is our energy source. Just eat more and may you achieve all your goals! :smile:
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Hi

The 1200 calories minimum recommended for women is a lot more about making sure you get all of the necessary nutrients into your diet than anything to do with weight loss. The less you're eating the harder it is to get in enough fat, protein, iron, calcium and other vitamins & minerals into your diet. Depending on how long you stay at those levels and how deficient you are, this could lead to hormone imbalances and vitamin deficiencies that could affect your health in ways other than stalling your weight loss.

But, it's also important to note that depending on your measuring devices (if you're using measuring cups or eyeballing portion sizes or using restaurant estimates, etc) you may actually be eating more than you think.

This^^
  • greetingsliv
    greetingsliv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes. Most definitely. When you dip below your target calories in the day, your body thinks you are starving and kicks down it's metabolism, burn less calories. Your body is very smart and knows how to survive. But the unfortunate detriment of not consuming all your daily necessary calories is the body begins to burn up your muscle and retain your fato to survive. This is NOT what you when trying to lose weight. You want to lose your body fat, NOT your body muscle. Use the food calculator and concentrate on the bottom of the list in tweaking your macronutrients so that you hit your cals while maintaining healthy recommended carbs, fats, protein, sugars. If you are doing strength training, and hope you are if you are trying to lose because it boosts your metabolism so you burn calories even when resting, you need 1 gm of protein per lb of body weight to grow new muscle. So I never mind if my protein is in excess of MFP's daily recommendation. But the others I definitely try to hit MFP's recommendations. Oh! Look for a jpg photo of muscle vs fat, muscle takes up less space. Make sense? Stick the plan, work it. You will see results. Take before photos and within in a couple of weeks you will notice.
    Your admiring Liv ox Keep it up!:flowerforyou: Eat your daily allowed calories. Burn more calories than your daily allowed Calories = weight loss.