Super obese, why isn't the weight falling off me?

Options

Replies

• virgogrl73
    virgogrl73 Posts: 14
    Options
    I've been at this for 7 weeks and have lost 8 lbs which is about a lb a week. For someone my size, I should be losing more. I track everything on paper which is why my diary isn't open. I think I am going to switch and try to log on this site. I started using paper so I could show it to my dr and just got in the habit of writing everything down. I can assure you though, I am sticking to my 1800 calorie limit, measuring EVERYTHING and don't have any food logging issues.

I really think the problem is my metabolism. I work from home and do no exercise and this has been going on for a few years. I recently got a Fitbit and it turns out I only walk about 300 steps a day on average. My daily calorie burn has got to be much less than the BMR calculation so it's possible even at my weight I'm not even burning 1800 calories a day.

I am going to start walking a bit and hopefully it won't cause me excruciating pain and maybe lower my calories a little to see if that makes a difference.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Increase your activity. If you watch TV at all, walk in place or do crunches during the commercials. Do you have stairs? Start walking your stairs, do calf lifts, someone else mentioned walking from the front to the back of your house. Do *anything* to get you moving a little more than what you're used to. Also, don't neglect ordinary objects around your house to help with strength training if you don't have any equipment. Canned goods and books are great for arm workouts.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 7 weeks and have lost 8 lbs which is about a lb a week. For someone my size, I should be losing more. I track everything on paper which is why my diary isn't open. I think I am going to switch and try to log on this site. I started using paper so I could show it to my dr and just got in the habit of writing everything down. I can assure you though, I am sticking to my 1800 calorie limit, measuring EVERYTHING and don't have any food logging issues.

I really think the problem is my metabolism. I work from home and do no exercise and this has been going on for a few years. I recently got a Fitbit and it turns out I only walk about 300 steps a day on average. My daily calorie burn has got to be much less than the BMR calculation so it's possible even at my weight I'm not even burning 1800 calories a day.

I am going to start walking a bit and hopefully it won't cause me excruciating pain and maybe lower my calories a little to see if that makes a difference.

8 lbs is still great! Don't cut yourself short!!

Definitely start using this site to log your food. It's easier than writing everything down on paper. You can print off your daily food logs and bring them to show your doctor (That's what I do).

Since you do not exercise and are very, very sedentary, I do think it wouldn't hurt to cut back your calories to 1600. Remember, the kind of carbs you eat are going to make or break your weight loss because you are pre-diabetic. Make sure you are eating the right carbs (complex).

If you are in that much pain when you walk, skip it for now and focus on the diet aspect. Diet is 80% of weight loss anyways. The exercise can wait until you have lost a significant amount of weight. It will be easier for you to move around once you are down 100-150 lbs.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You can set your Fitbit food plan to sedentary instead of personalized. That may affect the number of calories recommended.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

At least the scale is going down--that is progress!

I bolded the above part, however, because pretty much everyone who is not seeing the results they want say the same thing. You're eating less than you burn, which is terrific, but some inaccuracies in logging could be the difference between 1lb per week or 2lbs per week. Logging your food on here using a food scale and the MFP database instead of on paper will be a huge improvement. Then, after a few more weeks if you still are not getting the results you want, you can open your diary so the MFP community can better advise you.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I bolded the above part, however, because pretty much everyone who is not seeing the results they want say the same thing. You're eating less than you burn, which is terrific, but some inaccuracies in logging could be the difference between 1lb per week or 2lbs per week. Logging your food on here using a food scale and the MFP database instead of on paper will be a huge improvement. Then, after a few more weeks if you still are not getting the results you want, you can open your diary so the MFP community can better advise you.

OP takes about 300 steps a day. She is not burning more than she is consuming.
  • smn76237
    Options

? That is not what my post says at all. She could be eating more than she thinks she is if she is not accurately logging her food using the MFP database, hence her "slower" weight loss.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Before concluding your metabolism is hosed, I'd experiment with a reduced carb macro for a bit. You said you're around 40% now - you could try dropping the calories to perhaps 1600 as FFF said, but also instead of 180g of carbs you might try 100g and see how that goes for a bit. You should feel free to self-experiment a bit with your macros and see if it makes any difference to your progress. If it doesn't help, you can always raise your carb macro up later. :smile:
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Well, she is, if she is losing 1 lb a week. But 300 steps a day is what concerns me the most, OP. Bring your Fitbit logs to your doc and see if you qualify for any water based PT coverage under your health insurance.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

? That is not what my post says at all. She could be eating more than she thinks she is if she is not accurately logging her food using the MFP database, hence her "slower" weight loss.

You did say it…. "You're eating less than you burn, which is terrific"

If OP was burning more than she's eating, she'd be losing way more than 1 lb a week. Especially at 440 lbs.

But I do agree that she needs to log on here instead of paper!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    First of all, I love your attitude!

Assuming your logging is accurate and you don't have any underlying medical conditions (these are big assumptions, but other people have already talked about them)...

If you really think the issue right now is that you're beyond sedentary, you need to increase the amount of movement you do. Note that I didn't say "do more exercise" -- I'd be really worried about you getting hurt and further immobilizing yourself, which is the last thing you need to do. Just move, however you can. Move your arms, pick up gallon jugs or grocery bags. If it hurts to walk, can you march in place? Look up seated exercises and do them. Then, when they get easy, do them standing up. Yes, you can lose weight just by diet alone, no exercise, but at this point any extra motion you can do is going to help.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's posts, even though I am not the OP. Speaking of which, how can it be that everyone is putting in so much work to post so many thoughtful and helpful replies, and then the OP never returns (I know we can see if they read), replies, or opens their diary either?? I've seen lots of posts like these. Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Probably because half the people who reply are more concerned with shooting down dissenting opinions and championing their own standards than actually addressing the op's plight. And it happens a lot on these forums.

If you are so sure of yourselves people simply state your opinion people. Shooting down others is proof of your own insecurity. It is the attempt to leave only your own opinion as the valid one buy burying anything else in denial. And it is childish. And disrespectful to both other posters and the OP whose intelligence you demean by suggesting that she isn't smart enough to make up her own mind.
  • smn76237
    Options

You did say it…. "You're eating less than you burn, which is terrific"

If OP was burning more than she's eating, she'd be losing way more than 1 lb a week. Especially at 440 lbs.

But I do agree that she needs to log on here instead of paper!

I just...don't understand what you don't understand. I said, "You're eating less than you burn, which is terrific." Yes, my statement is 100% accurate because she is losing weight. Ie, she is eating less than she burns. Now, she may not be losing AS MUCH as weight as she wants--which is simply a matter of deficit size. She might think she is at a huge deficit, but in reality, if her logging is off, she is at a smaller deficit, hence a smaller weight loss per week.
  • smn76237
    Options
    Perhaps you are thinking my reference to burn=exercise. I'm using burn for her TDEE.
  • thatredheadedBAMF
    thatredheadedBAMF Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You are not a lost cause! You've lost 8 pounds already, which is great. When I started, I was morbidly obese as well, insulin resistant, bad thyroid, and also had knee pain. I lost very slowly; the first year I lost a whole 17 pounds.

When I reduced my carbs, I turned to low-carb, high-fiber tortillas (La Tortilla Factory is the brand I use) to be the "carrier," if you will, instead of bread. This helped me feel less lost without bread. I wrap my egg whites in them (breakfast burrito- egg whites, avocado, and pico de gallo), my sandwiches, make quesadillas, black bean burritos, etc. You can make pizzas on them too! They saved me.

I definitely agree with the others about moving your arms more. Have you seen mini-cycles before? They are tiny units that have just pedals on them, like you would see on an exercise bike, and people put them under their desks at work. You can also put one on the table and pedal with your arms. They sell them on Amazon in a variety of price ranges. This would be a great way to burn some more calories without causing you any further knee pain. Definitely lift some bottles of water or canned goods at home too (or buy some hand weights) as other suggested. Another useful tool is an exercise band; you can wrap it around a study piece of furniture and do seated rows. Basically, let's take advantage of the fact you can use your upper body!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Keep in mind that writing it on paper isn't as accurate, doesn't show you macronutrient breakout and still leaves room for error. Also, if you potentially have insulin resistance, you will benefit from doing carbs at or near 80-120g total. This is about the range I see from a lot of women with PCOS. I would suggest logging your food on MFP for 1 month and come back to us. This will allow us to suggest area's to improve or modify. At some point you can incorporate exercise. it's not a requirement to lose weight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Here's some information that might help

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

People really need to stop posting these generic copy/paste messages on threads such as these.

This is a person with 250 pounds or more to lose. 2 lb's a week on someone with that much to look is not "ideal". Any gastric doctor in the world would agree, such as his/hers, would expect much more per week.

Why is it not ideal??? I was 560 lbs. with 300+ pounds to lose and on the advice of my doctors and dietician we established a weight lose perimeter of 2 lbs. a week.... I guess I could be wrong but it worked pretty good for me...
  • mysweetjenna
    mysweetjenna Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    First of all, I love your attitude!

Assuming your logging is accurate and you don't have any underlying medical conditions (these are big assumptions, but other people have already talked about them)...

If you really think the issue right now is that you're beyond sedentary, you need to increase the amount of movement you do. Note that I didn't say "do more exercise" -- I'd be really worried about you getting hurt and further immobilizing yourself, which is the last thing you need to do. Just move, however you can. Move your arms, pick up gallon jugs or grocery bags. If it hurts to walk, can you march in place? Look up seated exercises and do them. Then, when they get easy, do them standing up. Yes, you can lose weight just by diet alone, no exercise, but at this point any extra motion you can do is going to help.

Amen! For someone who has that sedentary a lifestyle, and the physical pain that goes hand in hand with such a lifestyle, just the idea of an exercise program is very intimidating. Just adding more activity to your daily routine is a great place to start. Maybe take a lap around the house. Once that becomes easier, add another lap. Just add more activity. Clean a room. Clean a cabinet. As you slowly add activity it will be easier for you to take on more tasks that eat up more calories. I wish you the best!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Here's some information that might help

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

People really need to stop posting these generic copy/paste messages on threads such as these.

This is a person with 250 pounds or more to lose. 2 lb's a week on someone with that much to look is not "ideal". Any gastric doctor in the world would agree, such as his/hers, would expect much more per week.

If anyone is under a doctor's care then they should be following their doctor's orders. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with using the links as guidelines. In addition, the author of those guidelines clearly stated that a person's actual deficiency will depend on their personal circumstances.
  • virgogrl73
    virgogrl73 Posts: 14
    Options
    If I cut my calories by a few hundred and reduced my carbs under 100g I could probably lose 3-5 lbs a week which is what my dr thinks I should be losing. I realize my health is in jeopardy by having this much weight on me but as I previously stated, I really want this to be a lifestyle change. I know if I drastically change my eating, I may lose a good chunk of weight but I'll gain it all back. My mindset has been to make healthy changes that are realistic and I can do for the rest of my life.

I am getting pressure from my dr and from certain family members to have weight loss surgery and it's really hard defending myself when I don't have substantial losses with my method. I know it will take time but I'm going to need to lose well over 50lbs before it's noticeable. As long as I don't have any immediate health issues and can work with the knee pain, I would like to continue doing what I am doing with some tweaks to my diet and some activity.