Skinny Fat - Enlighten Me Please

Options
13»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    To answer you question, these are examples of "skinny fat". These ladies are in no way overweight, but as you can see are severely lacking in muscle definition. This can be the result of eating at too-large of a calorie deficit, while not strength training to preserve muscle mass. The overall look is one of slightly saggy, droopy looking skin, with no firmness. That is what is meant by skinny fat. Hope that answers your question.

Now see I don't think that is an example of skinny fat. It is more like the poster above this one's example, bad lighting, bad positioning. They do lack muscle tone/have loose skin in the butt/legs but overall they do not look like they have a high percentage of bodyfat.
    I could be wrong.

My understanding of skinny fat is a person is of normal weight with a high percentage of bodyfat.

Thaaaaat's what this is? I don't get what you're disagreeing about? lol

I don't see either of those pictures as showing a high amount/percentage of body fat.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    To answer you question, these are examples of "skinny fat". These ladies are in no way overweight, but as you can see are severely lacking in muscle definition. This can be the result of eating at too-large of a calorie deficit, while not strength training to preserve muscle mass. The overall look is one of slightly saggy, droopy looking skin, with no firmness. That is what is meant by skinny fat. Hope that answers your question.

Now see I don't think that is an example of skinny fat. It is more like the poster above this one's example, bad lighting, bad positioning. They do lack muscle tone/have loose skin in the butt/legs but overall they do not look like they have a high percentage of bodyfat.
    I could be wrong.

My understanding of skinny fat is a person is of normal weight with a high percentage of bodyfat.

Thaaaaat's what this is? I don't get what you're disagreeing about? lol

I don't see either of those pictures as showing a high amount/percentage of body fat.

My understanding is, it's not necessarily high body fat, as much as it is a highER LBM:fat ratio. I'm starting to see it's a term that a lot of people seem to have differing opinions on the definition. Shrug. Take mine or leave it, folks. Makes little difference to me. :flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

skinny-fat.jpg

I could be wrong.

/meanie pants

I'm gonna disagree. The first woman's skin/fat is literally hanging off of her. She looks like she's got someone else's flesh hanging off if her bones, which seems a clear indicator of low muscle mass to me. She's not nothing giving her shape or...anything at all. Its just a empty flabby skin sack.

/meanie pants

But you know. As long as she's happy or whatever. I'm probably just picking on her because she weighs less.
  • Willowwisp23
    Options

I could be wrong.

/meanie pants

I'm gonna disagree. The first woman's skin/fat is literally hanging off of her. She looks like she's got someone else's flesh hanging off if her bones, which seems a clear indicator of low muscle mass to me. She's not nothing giving her shape or...anything at all. Its just a empty flabby skin sack.

/meanie pants

But you know. As long as she's happy or whatever. I'm probably just picking on her because she weighs less.

The first women looks like she's possibly running, I wouldn't think many body look great mid run. Regardless of that you really can't tell someones body fat percentage from a papped photo. The other women looks like Kate Moss who on no planet is "skinny fat".
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

skinny-fat.jpg

I could be wrong.

/meanie pants

/meanie pants

Naturally.

Seriously though, like I said, I could be wrong. From what I had read, that wasn't my interpretation. I am interested in the different opinions.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I could be wrong.

/meanie pants

/meanie pants

The first women looks like she's possibly running, I wouldn't think many body look great mid run. Regardless of that you really can't tell someones body fat percentage from a papped photo. The other women looks like Kate Moss who on no planet is "skinny fat".

We'll have to agree to disagree. I see a woman walking on the beach who fits the markers of skinny fat for me. You see " well maybe she's running and anyway it's a bad picture."

That's cool.
  • bombshellinprogress
    bombshellinprogress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Springfield19, I have to say, if you're 40 something, you're looking amazing!

^^^^ what she said!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    a2703ec2.gif

This would be me, skinny fat

003_22A_zpsb0941a7d.jpg

JULY2009013_2_zps16d5f358.jpg

you dont' look remotely skinny-fat in either picture. you look like you have a reasonable amount of lean mass and a healthy body fat percentage... maybe more fat than you want and less muscle than you want, but you look like you have enough muscle under the fat to not be skinny-fat.

My thoughts exactly. If that is skinny fat, I am doomed.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    a2703ec2.gif

003_22A_zpsb0941a7d.jpg

you dont' look remotely skinny-fat in either picture. you look like you have a reasonable amount of lean mass and a healthy body fat percentage... maybe more fat than you want and less muscle than you want, but you look like you have enough muscle under the fat to not be skinny-fat.

My thoughts exactly. If that is skinny fat, I am doomed.

I could be wrong, but I think those are before and after photos. Maybe the OP can clear that up..?
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    a2703ec2.gif

003_22A_zpsb0941a7d.jpg

Va Beach eh? The statue behind ya gives it away I think.

I wouldnt consider this an good example. the first pic is a bit harder to see, but the second one you can see you have some muscular tone in the arms. Guys who are skinny fat look like they need their sister to open a can of pickles!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:

Yep.
    Va. Beach.

Nice living near the beach
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Yep.
    Va. Beach.

Brother was stationed there for awhile in the Teams. Had some pretty intense workouts at Mt Trashmore!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I had never heard the term skinny fat till I joined MFP in June. By now, I have seen numerous posts with reference to skinny fat, yet nothing to clue me in to what that term actually means. I must be the only one who doesn't know! Does it mean fat in some areas on an otherwise thin person? A person who is a small size due to a small bone structure, but carries a lot of fat? I have no idea what it means. I don't like being clueless-- I feel out of the loop! Am I skinny fat?

Hi! You're awesome! (I read your profile). Lifting doesn't mean you'll get muscley, you can always stop when you feel it's gone far enough.

What it will do is give you great posture, strength, a great booty, lovely curves and growth hormones. It basically turns the clock back.

I will lift til the day I die! I'm 43 and feel 23. I'm fighting gorgeous young men off with sticks! Haha!

Hi. I read your profile too and couldn't agree with Springfield more. You are, indeed, awesome :)

I agree that lifting would help you get where you want to be too. And you'd only get all muscley if you eat like a horse or start injecting steroids. It has great benefits - I just helped my mum get started and she's cursing me for her sore quads but loving the new challenge. I'd been at her for ages but it's only her recent diagnosis of the onset of osteoporosis that got her out into the garage with me.

Women's bone density starts deteriorating from as early as 35 so anything we've got in the arsenal we should use. I also feel 20 years younger since starting - not as hot as Springfield yet but getting there.

And no, I don't think you're 'skinny fat' at 24% bf. for a female that's just about perfect (jealous actually, I'm sitting at 29ish%).
  • MityMax96
    Options

Yep.
    Va. Beach.

Brother was stationed there for awhile in the Teams. Had some pretty intense workouts at Mt Trashmore!

Great place to do it at....
    I enjoy taking my kids over there to play.
    They have put in a nice playground area for the kids...
    As well as bike and skateboard ramps
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I had never heard the term skinny fat till I joined MFP in June. By now, I have seen numerous posts with reference to skinny fat, yet nothing to clue me in to what that term actually means. I must be the only one who doesn't know! Does it mean fat in some areas on an otherwise thin person? A person who is a small size due to a small bone structure, but carries a lot of fat? I have no idea what it means. I don't like being clueless-- I feel out of the loop! Am I skinny fat?

Hi! You're awesome! (I read your profile). Lifting doesn't mean you'll get muscley, you can always stop when you feel it's gone far enough.

What it will do is give you great posture, strength, a great booty, lovely curves and growth hormones. It basically turns the clock back.

I will lift til the day I die! I'm 43 and feel 23. I'm fighting gorgeous young men off with sticks! Haha!

Hi. I read your profile too and couldn't agree with Springfield more. You are, indeed, awesome :)

I agree that lifting would help you get where you want to be too. And you'd only get all muscley if you eat like a horse or start injecting steroids. It has great benefits - I just helped my mum get started and she's cursing me for her sore quads but loving the new challenge. I'd been at her for ages but it's only her recent diagnosis of the onset of osteoporosis that got her out into the garage with me.

Women's bone density starts deteriorating from as early as 35 so anything we've got in the arsenal we should use. I also feel 20 years younger since starting - not as hot as Springfield yet but getting there.

And no, I don't think you're 'skinny fat' at 24% bf. for a female that's just about perfect (jealous actually, I'm sitting at 29ish%).

Ok,
    Just read the "About Me" as well....I like it...
    But #3 though???:noway: :noway: :noway: :huh: :huh: :grumble: :grumble:

Come on.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I very much appreciate everyone's replies to my post! Skinny fat is a whole new concept to me that I knew nothing about, not even what the term meant, much less what it looks like--I think I'd recognize it on people if I saw it on them now. I am indeed enlightened, thank you all! I don't think I am thin enough to be classified as skinny fat-- but if I dropped down to like 100 pounds or so, (I am 5' 3 1/2") I almost surely would be skinny fat! But my goal is 112, because I want to be slender not skinny.

I feel I should address the exercise issue, considering that several people have offered suggestions to me along those lines. And I appreciate your advice to me.

I am vanity-driven, and I have always found it easy to diet and lose weight quickly. Don't get me wrong- I like to eat, same as everyone does; however, my vanity is much more powerful than my appetite. I have always avoided exercise, even as a child. These are my 3 issues with exercise:

1) I concede that it is possible that my figure could be improved by exercise. I am not convinced that it is likely. And I do not believe that any improvement could be enough of a transformation that I wouldn't still need plastic surgery.
    2) After reading y'all's posts, I asked myself-- for the first time EVER-- what IF exercise could result in a 100% restoration of the figure I had before menopause? And I came to the conclusion that my immense vanity is even less powerful than my aversion to exercise. Exercise is torture to me. And it makes me agitated and hostile-- I am told this is "adrenaline."
    3)I then asked myself, what IF I decided to subject myself to the intense agony that is exercise? The unavoidable answer to that question is this: I would be physically incapable of it! It's like, I love cigarettes. I know they will probably shorten my life. Do I WANT to quit? No, because I enjoy them too much. But if I ask myself, COULD I quit smoking? I don't believe I could. And to complete the analogy, I must add this: to be physically capable of exercise would be even less likely for me than to be able to quit cigarettes.