I "diet" and husband gets compliments.. wait, what??

Options
2»

Replies

• HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Several reasons I suppose.

- Men carry more weight on their stomach. So it's big vs. small/flat.

- It's easier to notice on non-relatives.

- Your parents might not know how comfortable you are discussing weight.

I was very concerned with my weight growing up so I think mum doesn't say anything because she doesn't want to encourage me going too low (only got vanity pounds to lose). She has no problem pointing it out if I'm too skinny though, but that's just mothers I suppose.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You should have used it as an opportunity to say how much you've both lost, since you wanted acknowledgement.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It's hard to figure. I bottomed out around 160 and have since, by intention and weight lifting pushed it back up to 175. People sometimes tell me I've lost enough weight and that I need to stop. Huh?
  • RacheleRountree
    Options
    well I can't get this thing to post where I want it to ... argh.
  • RacheleRountree
    Options
    Have you lost weight can be interrupted 2 ways?

You looked like a whale before

&

You looked like a whale before

In my opinion you cant win with women in regards to compliments during weight loss , every women i complimented on weightloss said to me , so you thought i was fat before?

I had to read this twice before I wasn't offended. I know I could have just as easily "got it" and went on my way, but for some reason I felt compelled to reply!

#1) I think you're right ... My husband has said to me - wow baby, I can REALLY tell you're losing weight. My outward reaction - THANK YOU BABY! My internal reaction - GREAT! So he DID think I was fat!!!

#2) I wish you weren't right. I really am happy when people tell me that they can tell that I've lost weight and I want to be able to use that mush on - not read into it and end up making myself upset.

Anyway - thank you for your honesty ... even if you didn't mean to speak to me - you did! :) Have a great rest of the day! P.S. I think you should still tell women if you notice they lost weight ... :)
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I generally compliment if im feeling brave like "You looked great before, but i can tell your hard work is paying off" So far it hasnt backfired on me yet, probably will next time i say something similar.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    YOU noticed that you lost weight, OP. That's what matters. If you know the weight is coming off, don't worry if others don't notice. You know, and you feel better.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love it when people tell me I look good and have lost weight! Because well, I know I was fat or overweight before. I look better now and that is all that matters.

Congrats on your loss OP! Once you lose more, I'm sure it will be more obvious to them. Don't let it get you down, you are doing this for you, not them anyway :)
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You're not alone :-). I lose 30+ pounds, nothing. Husband puts on a dark shirt and sucks it in a bit and people start coming out of the woodwork "Hey, you lost weight!"

Um, nope.

Over here folks...

:laugh: This sums it up perfectly!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i don't know you or your husband, but another thing to factor is your starting size. You lost 25 lbs in 8 weeks. That's quite a bit. But it may not effect the way you look. When I weighed 225 or so is when I started. No one really said anything to me about weight loss until I was approaching 40 lbs lost. There wasn't enough visual difference between 225 and 195, i guess.

regardless, if you want people to know, then do what every one else does and post your progress to Facebook :tongue:
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    As a guy who is only slightly overweight, it takes very little effort for me to look in shape with clothes on. I'm sure it's the same for your husband. Grats to you though.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Yeah a lot of it is how you carry it. I lost 20 pounds and no one really noticed. I started lifting heavy and my arms got bigger (even though I've gained 10 lbs) and I've been getting compliments. So if you have your weight loss more evenly distributed over your body, it might be harder to notice than for example a beer belly that has shrunk significantly.

But be supportive and proud of him, and maybe use it as motivation if you are a competitive person :)