Options
13»

Replies

• my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    20 hours?

1: four bottles of water
    2: a few energy bars (just to keep you from getting cranky)
    3: As much ammunition as you can possibly carry

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."
    Rudyard Kipling

You can only have too much ammo when you're swimming or on fire.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a potential horror movie. A bunch of college kids go out into the Georgia woods in the middle of the summer to play HvZ, and end up being stalked and killed by some perverted psychopath...:noway:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a potential horror movie. A bunch of college kids go out into the Georgia woods in the middle of the summer to play HvZ, and end up being stalked and killed by some perverted psychopath...:noway:

This was exactly my thought... And now the OP just put the contact info on
    MFP.... No crazies here.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    http://www.skymall.com/solar-power-cube/WGN135.html

So it's expensive and not plausible to just have in your pocket, but I've been determined to one day own this solar setup. Just the ultimate in portable solar power if things were to go to ****.
  • rd72578
    rd72578 Posts: 10
    Options

This was exactly my thought... And now the OP just put the contact info on
    MFP.... No crazies here.
    It's an invitational that is bringing people from several different states and has been advertised pretty heavily :) The goal is to get as many people to know about it as possible.

To everyone else:
    I have a backpack where I can put my camelpack container in. It holds 22L and the backpack itself has two water bottle holders. In my experience, 22L of water gets heavy trying to run with, so I usually fill it only half way.

Normally I'd scope out the area ahead of time (this is my 9th game) but this is going to be on private property and I'd rather not get arrested.

We need a radio because they will be broadcasting information over it. However, friendly fire is encouraged so that makes things a bit tricky.

Again, I guess my biggest worries are having enough water because running around in the heat is awful and making sure I can eat. The purpose is obviously not to attract other players, so fires would be a bad idea. Since it's so short, there's no reason to worry about sleeping so I'm skipping all of that kind of stuff too. I did decide to include some tissues for bathroom purposes and a pocket knife for things. I'm also going to print out a Google satellite map of the area so I can mark off areas.

Since a big thing being stressed is no cell phones, I also included a couple of extra batteries for my flashlight.
  • rd72578
    rd72578 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'd also like to mention that although it would be easy to climb a tree and hide until it's over, the people running the game have created missions for both sides to complete for rewards. The semesters where I helped with the game, if one side didn't have a lot of players, the other side would easily win and get major bonuses. It's bad not to win, so it's pretty much inevitable that you have to come out for them.

I'm not a very fast runner, but I'm pretty small and accurate with a Nerf blaster. In the past, my strategies have been to stay hidden until completely necessary. In HvZ, zombies can't die, only be stunned, so there's no point in hunting them Rambo style.

Other than that, thanks for the replies so far!
    My other big question is: shorts or pants.

Shorts: cooler but more exposed = less camo and more changes of bug bites or scratches
    Pants: much hotter but easier to hide in and protection from the environment
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    A couple of bottles of water, my Sawyer Mini water filter to make additional natural water sources safe to drink, home done dehydrated food stuffs from my stores (yeah, I prep for natural disasters so that's a thing for me) and a few items of clothing to layer with for warmth. I doubt you'll be allowed to build a fire but if it was me there'd be a firestarter in the backpack as well.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'll not be repetitive because there are so many good repsonses and ideas above.

The main thing for this type of opertion is staying light and effective. Energy dense foods so you can carry less weight, electrolytes, and WATER. You clearly realize the importrance of agua, but remember it's not only about survival and comfort but also functional hydration. Dehydration will impair decicsion making abilities and actual safety. If you overcompensate on anything, it's got to be H2O. Can you stash refill bottles anywhere in the area of operation so as not to be rucking them around?

Pants- zip off legs, or baggy that you can roll up, may come in handy as you can adjust to the conditions in the moment easily. But between the two choices long pants for sure. Special Ops dont wear shorts for a reason.

Have fun and good hunting!
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."
    Rudyard Kipling

"You can only have too much ammo when you're swimming or on fire."
    [/quote]

Words to live by. Literally!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

Shorts: cooler but more exposed = less camo and more changes of bug bites or scratches
    Go to the nearest Army/Navy store and tell them you would like "Summer BDU's"
    If the store is worth a crap, they will know exactly what you are talking about.
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Go to the nearest Army/Navy store and tell them you would like "Summer BDU's"
    If the store is worth a crap, they will know exactly what you are talking about.

+1, any woodland camo bdu's as lightweight as possible will keep you comfortable and help with camo a bit. They're not magic invisibility clothes, just might give you that extra half second or so.