Cycling + Weight training - Sloooow change

Options
2»

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    what exactly are you eating? maybe you need to change your diet.

I am pretty consistent with my food (measuring). My weekly diet usually consists of Banana, Oikos yogurt and a protein shake for breakfast. Lunch is either leftovers from the previous night or turkey/ham sammich with Kettle brand jalapeno chips (measured) along with a protein shake. Snacks are peanuts, fruit, string cheese, beef jerkey or protein shakes.

Dinners consists of normal meals (lots of chicken based dishes, TONS of veggies from the farmers market, lots of crockpot meals) All are measured as well and nothing overtly fatty.

I have a ritual Saturday where I forgo calorie tracking. After I burn 1000-1200 calories on long hikes in the morning (HRM), I go to a place called the rock house and get a bacon cheeseburger, fries and two beers. At night on that Saturday I eat normal again but also drink 2 -3 beers.

The rest of the 6 days I am eating as I described above.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Oh and I am pretty sure I am contributing to the drought in California as I drink more water than I use to water my lawn with ;)
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think you have received lots of good advice about "taking it up a notch". However, I also think you should give yourself credit for major success to date. It looks like you lost 8 lbs in 12 weeks, improved your endurance, you are faster on rides, see body recomp improvements and have lost inches. Not too shabby my friend!

You also sound like some one who wants to lose weight, look good, gain strengthen and improve in a sport you love. My experience is that the folks with really high weight losses in brief periods of time don't accomplish your other goals. I'm not saying that fining tuning things will not improve your results - just don't forget to give yourself credit where it is duly desired and realize that we all have slow weeks and better weeks.

I have two simple goals: Not get diabetes as it runs int he family ( i started losing weight when I got dangerously close to pre-diabetic) and to look good naked (and in shorts at the beach) but mainly naked heh

On a side note my pre-hypertension cholesterol has dropped like a rock to a normal range and my A1C and Fasting Glucose went from close to pre-diabetic to healthy numbers.

That is AWESOME. Who gives a S*** what the scales say when you can get results like that. I bet if you had a body comp test done every month you would see some differences as well.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I lost my first chunk of weight (60lbs) doing nothing but cycling on a ...wait for it...... Trek 7.2 FX. I waited to long (my mistake) to add in weigh training. When I did add, the weight loss definitely slowed down, but I was eating much more as well, and it was pretty close to my goal weight so not sure how much of the slow down came from the weightlifting.

That's what i was getting at in this thread I guess. The second I added intensieve weight lifting (although my overall intensity increased) pretty much everything slowed.

Here are my current measurements:

Neck - 19"
    Waist - 44.8"
    Hips - 50.3"
    Thigh - 32.5"
    Calf - 19"
    Bicept - 19"

Obviously you could be holding water due to adding the weight lifting. Not sure if you said how long you have been lifting for. I also agree with the posters in this thread about adding some sprints into your cycling workouts. I only do 20 miles on weekdays but keep my pace up in the mid 20's. By the end of 20, that's all I had, as opposed to my longer weekend rides or group rides where I may go for 50-100, but the pace is below 20mph. It never hurts to mix it up.

I will say that in the 8 months I have been lifting heavy, the transformation has been much more drastic than the first 60lbs lost., so keep at the lifting. Cycling is great for cardio if you enjoy it, but weights are what will make you look good naked ;)
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    I lost my first chunk of weight (60lbs) doing nothing but cycling on a ...wait for it...... Trek 7.2 FX. I waited to long (my mistake) to add in weigh training. When I did add, the weight loss definitely slowed down, but I was eating much more as well, and it was pretty close to my goal weight so not sure how much of the slow down came from the weightlifting.

That's what i was getting at in this thread I guess. The second I added intensieve weight lifting (although my overall intensity increased) pretty much everything slowed.

Neck - 19"
    Waist - 44.8"
    Hips - 50.3"
    Thigh - 32.5"
    Calf - 19"
    Bicept - 19"

Obviously you could be holding water due to adding the weight lifting. Not sure if you said how long you have been lifting for. I also agree with the posters in this thread about adding some sprints into your cycling workouts. I only do 20 miles on weekdays but keep my pace up in the mid 20's. By the end of 20, that's all I had, as opposed to my longer weekend rides or group rides where I may go for 50-100, but the pace is below 20mph. It never hurts to mix it up.

I will say that in the 8 months I have been lifting heavy, the transformation has been much more drastic than the first 60lbs lost., so keep at the lifting. Cycling is great for cardio if you enjoy it, but weights are what will make you look good naked ;)

Ive been lifting heavy for about 6 week of the 12 weeks since I started riding hard (i was lifting for the previous 6 weeks, but not heavy).

I mainly do the cycling to get my deficit up and to gain endurance for my longer hikes at Yosemite (10+ miles).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Have you made any adjustments to your calorie goals since you've lost 30 Lbs. As you lose weight, you require less calories. Any of these calculators are great starting points for weight loss, but generally, at some point, adjustments have to be made as per real world results and they often don't jive with some of these calculators...especially if you're overweight.

I'd give it another week or two to see if there's any movement and then maybe dial back the intake a bit if there's no movement. I personally found that a couple of snacks were getting in the way for me.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I mtn bike 5-6 times a week w/ an occasional run. I do some weight training in the off season. You gotta do what works for you, man.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Have you made any adjustments to your calorie goals since you've lost 30 Lbs. As you lose weight, you require less calories. Any of these calculators are great starting points for weight loss, but generally, at some point, adjustments have to be made as per real world results and they often don't jive with some of these calculators...especially if you're overweight.

I'd give it another week or two to see if there's any movement and then maybe dial back the intake a bit if there's no movement. I personally found that a couple of snacks were getting in the way for me.

Yep I am always making adjustments every 5lbs.
  • thehound9987
    Options
    Do you use a pre and post workout supplement? I like Gnc Pro Performance® Amp Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 - Ripped for my post workout and for my pre I use Gnc Pro Performance Amp - Amplified Ripped. I do crossfit 5 days a week and run 1-2 times a week and I have been able to keep my weight lose almost on pace. Am still getting stronger last week was a test week for my box in an about two month my back squat has gone from 275 lbs to 315 lb. I think you may want to think about adding some supplement to your diet.
  • fiveohmike
    Options

Neck - 19"
    Waist - 44.8"
    Hips - 50.3"
    Thigh - 32.5"
    Calf - 19"
    Bicept - 19"

Heck ya, thats why I started adding heavier weight routines. Just got a LONG LONG ways to go :(