Weight loss help for short people!

Options
I'm 18 years old, 5'0", and 127-129 lbs. The idea of being so close to 130 terrifies me, so Iv'e been trying to lose weight. My goal is 110, so only 20 lbs, but I feel like being so short is really a disadvantage-- someone who is 5'0" and 130 lbs looks way fatter than someone who is 5'7" and the same weight.
MFP says I can eat 1,200 calories per day, but I've been trying to eat less than that plus exercise a few time per week. Does anyone have advice on getting used to such a low calorie diet? And is eating less than 1200 calories actually bad for my health/ metabolism? Should I just exercise more and let myself eat 1,200 calories?

Replies

• terces91
    terces91 Posts: 3
    Options
    Try:

http://60301pjvya-ntzelhfwdlkeuei.hop.clickbank.net/ - Weight Loss program from Venus
    http://6dc9cugk5bzfv619ydkw7tet2j.hop.clickbank.net - Bodyshaping 'Oldschool New Body'

I use them and strongly recommend them.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Problems with extremely low calorie intake (most of this stuff doesn't happen right away, but later down the road...its kind of like how some smokers end up with emphysema or lung cancer and some don't):

- Malnutrition

"Inadequate caloric intake can lead to malnutrition over time. According to MedlinePlus, malnutrition occurs when the diet does not allow the intake of a sufficient amount of nutrients. A diet with extremely low calories does not allow for adequate consumption of the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants the body needs to perform its daily life processes. Vitamin deficiencies can lead to various problems, including fatigue, impaired wound healing and extreme weight loss." *1*

- Slower Metabolism (takes a while, but does happen)

"Metabolism is the rate at which the body burns fuel for energy. The basal metabolic rate is the minimum number of calories necessary to perform daily basic functions such as breathing, growth, cellular repair and digestion, according to MayoClinic.com. When calories are restricted over a long period of time, the body will compensate by holding on to the few calories that are consumed. Instead of burning calories freely, the body will perform basic life processes more slowly to conserve fuel. This can actually lead to weight gain." *1*

- Physical Changes

"A decrease in caloric intake may cause positive physical changes at first, especially in individuals with extra weight to lose. However, an extreme decrease in caloric intake can cause negative physical changes over time. Once individuals lose excess weight, calorie restriction can cause various physical problems. The Calorie Restriction Society indicates that decreasing daily calories too much can lead to reduced bone mass, fatigue, sensitivity to cold temperatures and food obsession due to extreme hunger. The CRS recommends gradual calorie reduction over a period of at least six months to avoid some of the side effects of low caloric intake." *1*

-Side Effects:

"Let’s look at some of the uncomfortable side effects of very low calorie diets:

Dry mouth
    Headache
    Dizziness
    Fatigue and weakness
    Cold intolerance
    Dry skin and nails
    Menstrual irregularities in women
    Hair loss
    Constipation/diarrhoea
    Irritability and confusion
    Inability to concentrate
    Muscle breakdown
    Problems with nerve and muscle function due to an imbalance in minerals and electrolytes
    Conditions such as osteoporosis, anaemia, gout, gallstones, clinical depression, heart problems, renal failure, and liver disease" *2*

References:
    *1*
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/277053-what-are-the-dangers-of-low-caloric-intake/
    *2*
    http://www.dietriffic.com/2009/05/14/very-low-calorie-diet/
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Because of how young you are, I feel like 1200 is especially low.

I'm 5'1, and went from 140 to 108 on 1400 calories + minimal exercise. I'm also 12 years older than you. I'm not saying that what you're doing won't work, but I AM saying that you really don't need to be that drastic.

You can afford to eat more, not feel so limited, and have the same results.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am short too! (5'2") I can definitely relate! I am also hovering around the 130 mark right now, but I used to be wayyyy over! You are 18, and according to BMI 130lbs at 5'0" is considered "overweight". According to BMI you could be at a healthy weight with only losing 10 pounds! I use BMI VERY ROUGHLY! It is only a guide, and not a perfect one at that. But it is used in doctors offices and can help you make smart decisions.

I do not recommend eating LESS! You're body needs the fuel! I would recommend you pay more attention to WHAT you are eating and making healthy choices while increasing your exercise. Have you tried lifting weights? I am not a fan of cardio and it never helped me lose weight. Weight lifting did! I still do cardio, but only for the benefits it has on my... heart... :P

Try not to focus too much on the numbers- focus on how you FEEL. Do you feel blah and slumpy and like you are dragging around too much (how I feel when I'm not in my happy weight zone)? Then work on losing. Do you feel energetic and strong and happy? Yes? Then stay where you are and be happy with yourself and your body!
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try:

http://60301pjvya-ntzelhfwdlkeuei.hop.clickbank.net/ - Weight Loss program from Venus
    http://6dc9cugk5bzfv619ydkw7tet2j.hop.clickbank.net - Bodyshaping 'Oldschool New Body'

I use them and strongly recommend them.

What's with the clickbank URLs? Isn't profiting off of MFP against the rules?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 years old, 5'0", and 127-129 lbs. The idea of being so close to 130 terrifies me, so Iv'e been trying to lose weight. My goal is 110, so only 20 lbs, but I feel like being so short is really a disadvantage-- someone who is 5'0" and 130 lbs looks way fatter than someone who is 5'7" and the same weight.
    MFP says I can eat 1,200 calories per day, but I've been trying to eat less than that plus exercise a few time per week. Does anyone have advice on getting used to such a low calorie diet? And is eating less than 1200 calories actually bad for my health/ metabolism? Should I just exercise more and let myself eat 1,200 calories?

Follow MFP as it is designed. It gave you a calorie goal to eat at that you could lose weight without exercise. If you do exercise you should eat at least some of those calories back (50-75%). I say only some because MFP and exercise machines tend to over estimate calorie burns for most people. Eating less than 1200, not only makes it hard to get adequate nutrition, it also can cause health problems later down the road.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    DO NOT eat less than 1200. In fact, it's pretty foolish to eat as low as 1200 to begin with. I am the same height as you, so I don't buy the "but I'm really short so I need to eat less" bit. I myself am losing on 1700-1800, and I'm already at your goal weight. Oh, and I'm ten years older than you. If I'm losing weight on more, you certainly will too, and won't be miserable doing it like you probably are on 1200.

MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. So unless you are smaller than me (you're not), or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
  • GuineaPiglet
    GuineaPiglet Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 so I do feel your pain. The good news is, it's no harder for us shorties to lose weight, and every few pounds lost is noticeable.

That said, and having been in your shoes and wanting to just get down to a certain weight at your age and still not being happy when I got there...are you sure it wouldn't be better if you just exercised and not made the weight loss your ultimate goal? Dropping weight will go hand in hand with a healthy diet and exercise, but with a good cardio/strength training program you can eat more and look better at a heavier weight than you would at a lighter weight without it. 110 is indeed a healthy weight at our height, so if that's your ultimate goal, go for it....but you might be surprised how radically you can change your body by only dropping 5 or 10 along with a focused workout program. You'll feel a lot better about your body and self along the way to that 110....along with getting to actually eat.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Your stats are similar to mine. I'm 5'0, 21 years old, and I started here in May at 135. I'm currently stuck between 121 and 122lbs, but I've found success eating between 1400 and 1600 calories and walking more. I haven't been to a gym during this time and I've lost 13 pounds. I do 1400 on weekends and 1600 on weekdays when I'm out at school or running errands.

1200 is a bit low if you don't have all that much to lose, particularly because you're young and can likely stand to eat more as it is with your metabolism. I might try setting your weekly loss for 0.5lbs a week at whichever activity level you are and eating back exercise calories 75%.