Compliments... what have you been told?

Options

Replies

• cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love being told that I look like a "completely different person".

Also I like being called "Skinny Minny". Even though I am still in a size 14 (from a size 20), I am starting to see myself as a skinnier version of me.
  • suiteblooms
    suiteblooms Posts: 100
    Options
    WoW! Everyone those are such wonderful experiences. I honestly don't think that most people realize the effect they have on another person when they offer such simple but sincere praise. It's fantastic to read all these comments and know that you are all thinking of positive things. I'd love to hear more! Keep 'em coming!
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    A lady I used to work with came out for drinks and supper with some co-workers and as soon as she saw me she said- "wow you're looking so great! You have a teeny waist and I can really notice a difference in your face!"

(Apparently I was walking around looking like the kool-aid man:laugh: )

It made my day!
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I haven't got very many compliments yet (heck most people haven't really even noticed yet) but this weekend at work I was walking up to a coworker and he stopped and stared and said "holy crap I was like is that her? No...wait it is, I almost didn't recognize you! You have lost weight, how much?" He made my day! I think I smiled for the rest of the day. (Him and I have had many talks about losing weight and getting in shape so this also made the comment a little sweeter)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I was told recently I looked GREAT tanned. I proudly told them I used 50spf and I hadn't burned once, and then....

....Oh...you mean weight loss compliments......?
  • XmanMike
    XmanMike Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've been told I'm not as pudgy as I used to be...lol.
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42lbs and I haven't received a single compliment :grumble:
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I read this post and got sad cuz only my wife and mommy say good things about my changes. Then I went to the bathroom to cry about it and a co-worker was on his way out and said "You're losing weight aren't you? You can tell...you can REALLY tell!"

lol I'm sure I'll get a bunch of comments when I go to the annual beach trip with the family this year (3 weeks from now) I was a tubby guy last year and I've transformed pretty heavily since.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    My beloved bf came over for lunch and immediately said "You're really slimming down!" after he just saw me two days ago. Of course, he brought a Papa John's pizza with him :)
  • suiteblooms
    Options
    I was told recently I looked GREAT tanned. I proudly told them I used 50spf and I hadn't burned once, and then....

....Oh...you mean weight loss compliments......?

NO! I mean all compliments! I want to hear the ones that make you feel smart, healthy, fast, strong, progressive... any and all. WE ARE ALL MORE THAN OUR BODIES! WE ARE VALUABLE! We have talents and abilities that don't hinge on our body fat percentage, muscle tone or weight. So when people notice and compliment our parenting skills, our determination, our poise when we present at work, or our new outfit that looks great since we've dropped a few pounds, we should celebrate it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

You are awesome--keep up the good work!
    Now you have 1. :smile:
  • phil4v7
    phil4v7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten any compliments this time around, but when I'd lost 75 lbs in 2012, my favorite was from my boss' boss' boss. He stopped me in the hall one day to congratulate me on my weight loss and then sort of stopped himself and had to check and make sure that I was losing intentionally and not sick or anything. I don't know why, but the fact that it was so significant a loss that he had to make sure made me laugh.

I always struggle with giving out compliments to anyone other than family. As a married guy, I certainly don't want my compliments to other women to be interpreted as something more than they are. The flip side to that is something I've seen referenced here and in the other thread. Sometimes complimenting weight loss can be interpreted as "you thought I looked bad before?"
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    When I was out jogging last night, some teenaged boys whistled and asked for my number. I'll be 41 next week :)
  • favoredchild77
    favoredchild77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have received so many compliments at my local YMCA every time I come in I feel like I am the poster child for weight loss. I lost 40 lbs over the last 18 months and many have watched my transformation. I feel encouraged by so many. One Girl told me I am jealous of you and then she said you inspire me. (weird I know) The last compliment I got was how are you doing , that that is left of you anyway. I often get What are you doing you look awesome. My favorite from my husband I am so proud of you you look smoking Hot.
  • suiteblooms
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that. I know it's not the same online, but I think you look great. More than anything your body is complimenting you. Every time you pick up a heavy package of bottled water or a child your body protests less. Your heart is stronger and can crush workouts that were only a dream before.

On a side note, I've noticed that the more complimentary I am of others, the more people feel free to open up to me as well. This often results in compliments that they may have felt strange making without the opportunity. The result can only be positive, and I've gained many friends that are to shy to start conversations. (PS... It's not that I'm digging for compliments. It's that I'm looking for the positive in others, and even if they don't say a single word of reply, let alone return a kind comment, I feel good about the type of human I'm trying to be.)
  • suiteblooms
    Options
    I always struggle with giving out compliments to anyone other than family. As a married guy, I certainly don't want my compliments to other women to be interpreted as something more than they are. The flip side to that is something I've seen referenced here and in the other thread. Sometimes complimenting weight loss can be interpreted as "you thought I looked bad before?"
    [/quote]

I totally get this! I tend to be friendly to almost an odd degree. Sometimes this invites unintended attention, or gives the wrong impression. I make a practice of mentioning my wonderful husband early in conversations. I've noticed that it helps to be careful of how I word my compliments. To make sure that my compliments don't come off as back handed, I'll offer a sincere "that new pair of slacks fits your body so well... keep up all the hard work." I'll mention the fact that they are stronger, look like they are glowing from the inside, look like they feel confident, can really crank out the pushups, etc. The other day I saw a middle aged woman doing rubber band assisted pull ups. I told her that she looked like a total bad A** doing those. BECAUSE SHE DID!
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the compliments :flowerforyou:

I too think that people notice but they are unsure if they should comment or not. They don't want to offend or make you feel like you looked bad before.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Friends who have known me for almost 40 yrs. have said I look younger since I've lost 22 lbs (so far and still going) - good to know since my husband is 12 yrs. younger than me - but he's much more mature!!
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    recently I have been told i've lost loads of weight by a friend i used to work with, as well as my parents. I've also been told i'm my boyfriend's "trophy wife" by one of my boyfriend's best friend and have had my commitment and flexibility complimented by my personal trainer

feels pretty good I have to say.
  • Lachelleofthesea
    Lachelleofthesea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Many, many, years ago I was stretching at the gym (I've always been quite 'bendy') and an older woman approached me saying, "You must be a dancer! I admire your build. Are you a ballerina?" She was so nice and completely serious. I never forgot it. :blushing: