Today is...

Options
Today is my 32nd birthday :) This has been an awesome and incredible year.

This time last year, my awesome family and friends got together to throw me an epic, Hawaiian luau themed surprise party. It really was a fabulous surprise and such an incredible birthday. So I felt that the year started off well. Unbeknownst to me, I was an undiagnosed/untreated hypertensive diabetic that had just hit over 300 pounds (301 was my highest recorded weight).

I would find all this out about 2 weeks after my 31st birthday. It was one of the lowest points of my life. I was devastated.

But I stopped there. I cried for a weekend and then said "Enough."

A year later, I am no longer hypertensive or a diabetic. The only pills I take are vitamins and minerals. I am down 88 pounds as of today and I look flipping incredible (if I say so myself). I've got another 60 lbs until I reach my goal but for the first time in my life-long dieting career, I no longer doubt myself. I know I will reach that goal. I know that I will keep myself healthy.

Part of my journey included having weight loss surgery. I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy on April 21, 2014. It is a decision that I believe is saving my life. It was one of the hardest decisions to make. Every day is a struggle and hard work. The hard work tripled after surgery. It's not been easy and I do not regret a single moment of it. I am more determined now than I ever was before to make me a priority in my life - my health, my happiness, my future. It's been a lesson a long time in coming but it's one I'm grabbing onto with both hands.

Next stop - 100 pounds lost and weighing below 200 lbs. I think I can do this over the next 4 weeks but I am giving myself until Labor Day. I'm trying to manage expectations throughout this process to make sure I don't get discouraged and I think I have been doing well with that.

I'm fortunate to have friends and family that have been super supportive and being a part of this community and other fitness/weight loss communities has been inspiring and motivational.

Keep kicking *kitten*!

Thanks for reading through my emotional spewing haha

All the best,
Hana

Replies

• MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, kid!

really happy to have read your story.

Keep up the hard work!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!!! You have taken the steps toward having many, many more Happy Birthdays. :heart:
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, you have worked hard for the losses that you have, keep up the good work......
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Happy Happy Birthday and best wishes that your dreams hopes and expectations come true. You go girl!!!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I love reading about people who have decided "enough" and then act on it! Isn't it odd how we put so much time into our careers, family, etc, at the expense of ourselves. I'm glad you realized in time, keep up the great work!
  • JudyAFry
    JudyAFry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Happy Birthday!!!!!
  • hkabashi82
    hkabashi82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, and congratulations on an AMAZING year so far. You look wonderful!
  • nikki6669
    nikki6669 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday and congratulations on your amazing progress!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    WOW!
    You look fabulous! Good luck and best wishes on reaching all your goals!

P.S. Happy Birthday from a lady on the Eastern Shore.:drinker:
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Happiest of birthdays to you! I still think you rock!