The Biggest Loser show seems to contradict what were taught

Options

Replies

• bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Also, babies have very little in common with coma patients.

I imagine mom is taking most of the care of the newborn?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you believe 'Starvation Mode' is a myth then you have never seen what children look like who are starving. Their bellies are so huge the circumference is bigger than their height.
    Cliff {:{)

Okay there is ignorance and then there is this. This is just offensive. The condition is called kwashiorkor which is severe edema in the abdominal area caused by extreme protein deficiency and malnutrition. This coupled with reabsorption of the muscle of the abdominal wall from starvation causes the distended belly that is just made that much more prominent in young children. Basically their gut is swollen by fluid and their organs are spilling forward to push against their skin due to the lack of muscle in their abdominal wall. It has nothing to do with fat retention what a horridly ridiculous thing to think.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Don't forget he also had some vegetables every day too. I think a "Siege Tank" fires heavy percussive shells, maybe his brain is in shock from its operation and he's having a hard time writing what he means?

Entirely possible. That is not outside the realm of possibilities, I could very well be wrong
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Really OP? Actors have been doing rapid weight loss/gain for film roles for decades now. Its amazing what a motivator money can be. I'd imagine the same applies to the BL contestants.

Medical advice & common sense dictates that rapid weight loss isn't healthy or sustainable due to individuals not learning good long term dietary habits. VLCD are only really recommended when the other choice is presumably the person dying from complications due to their high body weight.

This isn't rocket science - Stop trying to flame bait or find a more creative topic please.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Remember that reality TV isn't reality. The "week" on the biggest loser can be several weeks - if you've ever known a contestant they will tell you that the 12 week show takes months to do.
    12 weeks is months... Just saying...
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1) We are taught that eating too few of calories will result in "starvation" mode and our body will hold onto weight. On the show, contestants afterwards spoke about eating 800 to 1100 calories per day and yet they consistently would lose 5 to 20 pounds per week. Obviously they exercised endlessly. But no "starvation" mode...

2) We are taught that if you lose weight too fast, skin will just hang around. Last years winner (and many winners before that) lost 150+ pounds in 6 months -- yet her skin wasn't hanging. What gives?

3) We are taught that you must eat lots of protein to retain muscle mass. I can't imagine them getting much protein on 800 calories per day, yet they look ripped and shredded by the end of the 6 months. I wonder how?

4) On the same tone as #3, we are taught that we must have proper nutrition to lose weight. Once again, I'm not sure how they're getting proper nutrition on 800 to 1100 calories a day? Especially the big guys. Yet they consistently drop pounds.

5) We are told that it is dangerous to lose more than an average of 2 pounds per week. Yet these people lose on average around 6 pounds per week and at the end their bodyfat testing, blood, etc are all much better than at the beginning. Or perhaps they paid off the doctors to give a misleading result. I dont know.

I want to be clear that I am NOT claiming the Biggest Loser way to be healthy, or the "right/ideal" way to lose weight. It just seems like they have sorta disproved some of the theories that get repeated on this forum.

Or maybe i'm just missing something - which is entirely possible.

Here is the secret:

STOP WATCHING THAT BULL NONSENSE (sorry Jillian)

Do what works for you and learn to live a healthy life!

Lol no..Jillian knows better. She has since resigned from the show after the last season. She basically said that The Biggest Loser is unhealthy and she does not want to be apart of the "bull nonsense".
  • Siege_Tank
    Options

There were actually two 400 lb men that did that starvation thing. One died. Oops. So much for your "it's ok not to eat" metric.
    A bunch of other people at high weights tried to eat at very low uncontrolled diets and died in the 70s.

Honestly, you should be ashamed for not following common sense. :noway:

Nowhere did I advocate for the adoption of "not eating". I said it was physically possible. I advocate knowledge and getting to the truth of how our bodies work.

Hint: starvation mode isn't truth, nor is eating more. You can add any title you want, but the fact remains that most people who advocate for certain things, do so because that plan is what worked best for them to stick to.

We should all be in this together, each other's cheerleader's. And any time we come across someone who lies or tries to sell half truths should be sprayed in the face with pepper spray until they go far enough away to where we can't hear them.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    This thread is an enigma wrapped in a mystery. If one replaces "enigma" with "stupidity" and "mystery" with "steamy dog poo".

And IN for slacker babies who aren't eating their whole grains!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Their food is mostly protein. It's a myth that you need as much protein as usually advocated to retain muscle mass. 500-600 calories of protein would be enough. Don't forget that these are people who work out for hours every day, people who didn't work out before, so you can expect some newbie gains too

I think you are saying it wrong because 500/4= grams of protein.
  • Siege_Tank
    Options

Their food is mostly protein. It's a myth that you need as much protein as usually advocated to retain muscle mass. 500-600 calories of protein would be enough. Don't forget that these are people who work out for hours every day, people who didn't work out before, so you can expect some newbie gains too

125 to 150 grams of protein a day is about right for an average person, with a high fitness level. The rule of thumb is one gram of protein per pound of lean bodyweight.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Saw that as well. I would say 125-150 is a pretty good number for people to strive for.
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    You're advocating that it's physically possible because 1 out of the 2 people didn't die. Sounds like great odds don't you think?

Advocate - n. to speak or write in favor of; support or urge by argument; recommend publicly

No, I was *stating* that it was physically possible. That several people, not just one, died during their refeeds was proof that it's very dangerous, not eating for that long. But fasting in spurts, like Muslims do with Ramadan, isn't really the starvation mode inducing two headed dragon we all heard that it was.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    This guy again.

My thoughts exactly.

lol ^^

love reading the answers!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

You are right, I did mean 125-150 grams, but I chose to use calories to put it into perspective that it is entirely possible to get enough protein on a 800-1200 calorie diet.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

But my mind is really fragmented lately.. blame it on the baby air horn that disrupts my train of thought.

This has turned out to be a pretty accurate statement.