Hello There! Newbie Dilema...

Options
Hey guys, Newbie here!

I've been doing this calorie counter thing since NewYears and it's been going well so far! How motivational is this :)
One question I have though...
I live with 3 other girls and they often (3-4 times a week) order take-out. The smell is driving me nuts and crave it SO badly, but I've been good and not touched even a prawn cracker.
What can I prepare for myself which will taste just as good but for half the cals?

Well done to all those people who are already losing, I salute you! You are such an inspiration :)

Replies

• MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Get on one of these websites and start looking for healthy stuff.
    allrecipes.com
    myrecipes.com
    foodtv.com
    You can find some really good stuff and the roles may change and they may want to eat what you are having !!!
  • llaurall
    Options
    I would recommend having your meal already prepared by the time your friends arrive and eating a light snack beforehand. This way you'll be less tempted to pick at the take out since you know you've got your meal waiting for you.

I suggest a nice homemade chicken soup with diced vegetables. It's healthy and full of protein which will keep you feeling fuller for longer.

Good luck!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hey and welcome!

Soft noodles and Veggie Spring rolls has replaced my old mega calorie Chinese. There are a few decent meals you can have from the Chinese, main thing you have to watch is sodium, I wouldn't give it up all together, just be clever about it :wink:

Ben
  • earthy_lady
    Options
    If I were you I would find out what they're ordering and cook a similar recipe from online. You can usually cook a very similar meal for way fewer calories and a lot less cash. Fried chicken? Save half the calories by pan-frying your own piece of white meat and pairing with salad or a veggie side. Chinese? Veggie stir fry is notoriously easy to make and SO much healthier when made at home, great with egg noodles or brown rice. Burgers? Opt for a bocca burger (morning star- veg meat substitute) on a wheat bun loaded with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and onion. I bet if you started cooking they'd be envious of the wonderful smell of a home cooked meal coming from the kitchen.
  • salto
    salto Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What are they getting that smells so good to you? I'm sorry, I don't know what prawn crackers are. lol!

You can make yourself a homemade pizza with lots of fresh veggies on a whole wheat pita or on a portobello mushroom. Or make homemade chicken fingers by tossing boneless skinless chicken strips in crushed corn flakes and bake. Make some baked potato wedges to have on the side. Mostly, just tell yourself that what you're smelling from their take-out is all the gross unhealthy fats and oils. Plus, the guy who prepared the food probably didn't wash his hands after he used the bathroom, so you REALLY don't want to eat it! :wink:
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It might be good to check out the menu they are ordering from and see if there are healthier options. Even if you're craving the really bad stuff you can always divide it into multiple meals or split with one (or two) of your roommates (saves on cash too!) Exercise a little harder if you need to and have it only if you want to--not because you feel compelled to.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Prawn stirfry,

100g prawns, fine slices of peppers, mushrooms, onions and beansprouts, a handful of chow mein noodles, a little soy sauce (watch the sodium) and chinese seasoning, toss it all in a preheated pan with just a tiny dash of olive oil. Precook and drain the noodles before tossing them in. (substitute the prawns with fine slivers of beef, chicken etc whatever you have to hand)

Chicken curry

1 medium chicken breast diced and dry fried with curry powder, coriander leaf, finely chopped onion and mushroom cut into bite size chunks, add a little water to stop it sticking, when chicken is cooked add a tin of chopped tomatoes and serve with a small naan or 1/2 cupof boiled seasoned rice (substitute the chicken with whatever meat you like or large prawns)

You'll be getting typical take out meals at a fraction of the calories
  • BrightonChick
    BrightonChick Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Plus, the guy who prepared the food probably didn't wash his hands after he used the bathroom, so you REALLY don't want to eat it! :wink:

I like this idea! And this may work as I am a tad OCD on my cleanliness! Hahaa!
    Thank you for all your comments, It's Pizza night tomorrow and the massive mushroom pizza sounds amazing!

And what does the smell make me miss...actually come to think about it, it is all grease and crap...your so right.

Cheers all!
  • salto
    salto Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Someone told me once about how unclean restaurant kitchens are; and whenever you really want to eat take-out or fastfood to just think about the sweaty, dirty guy behind the grill, dripping sweat off his forehead into all the food, and his dirty nasty unwashed hairy hands touching everything. Really makes it sound less appealing. And all that oil that they cook in? You know what makes it smell so good? They never change the oil, so what you're smelling is all the food they've cooked in it for the last year. Um, ew! Let your friends eat their gross food. There's nothing better, IMO, than a homemade pizza, loaded in fresh crunchy (and clean!) mushrooms, onions, and peppers, with just the slightest bit of cheese and sauce. And cooked just the way I like it. Oh, and sometimes instead of pizza sauce (which has lots of added sugar) I layer on fresh sliced tomatoes, basil and garlic. Your friends will be jealous!
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    what I have done is look up the website before I order and work out what has the lower cals and then make my choice
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com
    myrecipes.com
    foodtv.com
    You can find some really good stuff and the roles may change and they may want to eat what you are having !!!

are the calories good on thee sites?
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    What are they getting that smells so good to you? I'm sorry, I don't know what prawn crackers are. lol!

You can make yourself a homemade pizza with lots of fresh veggies on a whole wheat pita or on a portobello mushroom. Or make homemade chicken fingers by tossing boneless skinless chicken strips in crushed corn flakes and bake. Make some baked potato wedges to have on the side. Mostly, just tell yourself that what you're smelling from their take-out is all the gross unhealthy fats and oils. Plus, the guy who prepared the food probably didn't wash his hands after he used the bathroom, so you REALLY don't want to eat it! :wink:

Love this! :)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com
    myrecipes.com
    foodtv.com

are the calories good on thee sites?

These sites are awesome. You can always put them in the recipe builder on this site to get the accurate calorie count.