How to make Top Ramen healthy

Options
Ok so IF your on a Ramen budget here's a tip on how to make it a bit healthier.

FIRST: Throw away that packet of sodium heart attack!

SECOND: Before you actually cook your ramen in boiling water, rinse it first with super-hot tap water for a couple of minutes in a colander. Top Ramen is deep fried in palm oil which is about the most saturated fat there is, so by rinsing it in hot water for a few will skim a lot off, especially if you boil it, breaking the noodles down a bit, then straining it a colander while rinsing it with super-hot tap water again. The concept here is to break off some of that saturated fat that Ramen noodles are processed in.

The rest is up to your imagination. My favorite ramen dish is with with cooked chicken pieces, frozen mixed vegetable and ½ tsp of chicken bouillon (Caldo De Pollo) and ½ tsp of Mrs. Dash Salt-Free Onion & Herb Seasoning Blend. Now granted there’s sodium in chicken bouillon, but ½ tsp is nowhere near the amount found in that little packet of death! Lol Experiment with your favorite seasonings and try to stay the course with low or no sodium stuff. Experiment with low sodium spices until you find your healthy niche. Please share your recipes and Enjoy!

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of ramen (different brand). I usually did use the "spice pack" (half of it sometimes); I threw away the "oil pack" and just put in a teaspoon or so of olive oil.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Three steps to making ramen healthy

Step 1) Throw away the spice packet

Step 2) Throw away the ramen noodles

Step 3) make real soup with some fresh veggies.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Three steps to making ramen healthy

Step 1) Throw away the spice packet

Step 2) Throw away the ramen noodles

Step 3) make real soup with some fresh veggies.

True story.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Or you could just eat it. I like to put chicke in mine, but otherwise I leave it as is. Why mess with a good thing?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    honestly I would just go buy some egg noodles and forget about the ramen. Although I do like them the cals and salt aren't worth it and the extra effort you suggested to make them healthy seems like a lot of work for a noodle ... just sayin :ohwell:

edit: I never really ate them as soup - I would drain them and add the spice packet for a noodle side dish :wink:
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Less spice packet. No oil packet. Rinse.
    Add eggs or egg white.
    Yum.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Less spice packet. No oil packet. Rinse.
    Add eggs or egg white.
    Yum.

again then it's just noodles?
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I agree with an earlier post. Just buy some egg noodles and season them up however you like.

Or just make it fit under your calorie limit and enjoy it if you really must have it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I agree with an earlier post. Just buy some egg noodles and season them up however you like.

Or just make it fit under your calorie limit and enjoy it if you really must have it.

Isn't it like 380 calories (for two servings I might add)? Is that really so much that eating it is something you only do when you 'really must have it'? Ramen+4 ounces of chicken+an egg cracked into the both=Yum.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Isn't it like 380 calories (for two servings I might add)? Is that really so much that eating it is something you only do when you 'really must have it'? Ramen+4 ounces of chicken+an egg cracked into the both=Yum.

Tell me more! :) Do you stir up the egg in the hot broth to make something like egg drop in the ramen?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m5blzd6pWr1r75tapo1_400.jpg

Do as the Koreans do. They have ramen perfected. Veggies + Egg on top.

Not sure why you'd want to throw away the spice packet... it's kind of a defining thing for Ramen. Ramen without the spice packet just isn't ramen. It's noodles and water.
  • ReaganP13
    ReaganP13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a salt-fiend and throwing away that little bag of MSG sodium stuff would make me cry.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Or you could just eat it. I like to put chicke in mine, but otherwise I leave it as is. Why mess with a good thing?

Wise words.

Sometimes, I cook as usual, drain and add to pan fried (once frozen) vegetables with a little sesame oil and a lot of soy sauce. If I want more protein, I add a diced chicken breast and a scrambled egg. Awesome.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten Ramen before.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m5blzd6pWr1r75tapo1_400.jpg

Do as the Koreans do. They have ramen perfected. Veggies + Egg on top.

Not sure why you'd want to throw away the spice packet... it's kind of a defining thing for Ramen. Ramen without the spice packet just isn't ramen. It's noodles and water.

Plus kimchi, tofu, and enough chili derivatives to make you cry.

God bless Korea.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    A friendly reminder that one brick of ramen noodles is not one but two servings.

I used to eat two bricks at a time. I would drain the water out of the noodles and sprinkle on a little bit of the flavor pack for flavoring. It was just a really easy 5 minute way to get dinner.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    Double posted. I *really* wanted to remind people! :smile:
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Why buy Ramen anyway? Just get a box of noodles. The price per serving is pretty close. You are basically saying just to use the noodles anyway. In the time it takes to cook ramen, you can cook spaghetti/macaroni/shells/etc
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Healthy ramen? Here's a thought...don't eat instant ramen. And, the Koreans didn't perfect ramen...the Japanese did. Veggies + Egg on top? That's a basic Japanese prep. Kimchi in ramen? No thanks. Give me a miso, shoyu or tonkotsu please. Kimchi fried rice is good though.

Instant ramen isn't technically ramen anyway.

Edit:

Ramen - ramen-dojo-large.jpg

Not Ramen - 1354804315459.jpg
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    why not just buy a box of noodles?