Spartan Race

Options
2»

Replies

• siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    knee and elbow pads are a good idea, as you will be crawling and pulling your self over under and through loads of stuff, plus some good trail shoes.

check out the inov-8 range i got the
    Muidclaw 300 shoes and they were amazing for all obstacle and running through mud and over loose ground
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Burpees....practice your Burpees...

I have done 3 sprints, 3 supers, and 2 beasts. Earned my trifecta last year and will again this year.

Most people don't realize that for any obstacle you fail or can't do, you are penalized with 30 burpees. That adds up quick. I almost always miss the stupid spear throw and am usually so tired by the rope climb and traverse wall that I fail those. That is 90 burpees on top of all of the running and other stuff.

The two worst ones I have done was Virginia Super last year, which was up and down a ski slope. and Texas Beast which was colder than any obstacle course race should be. There was snow on the ground. They still had us walk thigh-deep through creeks. Also carrying buckets full of gravel up a hill twice when your fingers are frozen sucks (no handles on buckets).

If you really want a break down of what a course looks like, I can probably walk you through one depending on the distance you are looking to conquer. I'd say almost anyone can do a sprint, be in decent shape for a super, and work hard and pray long for a beast.

Burpees - I was confused by that - so they are just a variant of a squat thrust.

You stand, get in spidey position, throw your hips back - like you are getting into a pushup position - lurch forward back into spidey position and stand up proud?

and I gotta run to a meeting, and will be sure to review this all. - if you write out what to expect I will certainly read through it and use your input.

I think the sprint will be first for me - I am a bit of a perfectionist, which is why I would rather not be on a team - and the sprint will let me assess what I am in for.

My biggest worry is that to lower my body fat percentage I've killed my legs and gotten them very shredded - but I have in a few ways neglected some area's on the upper body - I still struggle to do like 10+ simple pull ups.

This is going to be an AWESOME new activity for myself, I can already tell. Certainly my idea of fun. :bigsmile:
  • crystal_runs
    Options
    Actually, I remembered that a buddy of mine wrote up a great race report with pictures from the Spartan Sprint in 2012. Obviously each venue will vary with whats available, but it will give you a great idea of what to expect. Here are all of his write ups for the Texas Spartan races. He also has a "What to Pack" on his blog.

Spartan Sprint - Texas 2012
    http://muddyj.com/2012/05/20/2012txspartansprint/

Spartan Beast - Texas 2013
    http://muddyj.com/2013/12/30/muddyj-is-a-barefoot-beast/

Spartan Super - Texas 2014
    http://muddyj.com/2014/05/17/im-super-thanks-for-asking/
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Actually, I remembered that a buddy of mine wrote up a great race report with pictures from the Spartan Sprint in 2012. Obviously each venue will vary with whats available, but it will give you a great idea of what to expect. Here are all of his write ups for the Texas Spartan races. He also has a "What to Pack" on his blog.

Spartan Sprint - Texas 2012
    http://muddyj.com/2012/05/20/2012txspartansprint/

Spartan Beast - Texas 2013
    http://muddyj.com/2013/12/30/muddyj-is-a-barefoot-beast/

Spartan Super - Texas 2014
    http://muddyj.com/2014/05/17/im-super-thanks-for-asking/

great shares :flowerforyou: - answered more questions then I thought I even had on the subject.

Thanks Crystal & Brett!
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Burpees - I was confused by that - so they are just a variant of a squat thrust.

You stand, get in spidey position, throw your hips back - like you are getting into a pushup position - lurch forward back into spidey position and stand up proud?

Haha love it "spidey position"
  • FitPhotoGeek
    FitPhotoGeek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depending on the course it can be a breeze or it can be rough. The hardest race I have ever done out of 6 was a Spartan Sprint believe it or not simply sue to the terrain. It was tough, held at a ski training facility and it was all rocks/darting through trees. Keep in mind that they keep on changing the obstacles as well. The mainstays will always be there, such as countless walls, barbed wire, rope climb, monkey bars, pancake bag carry, Hercules hoist, etc. If you train for those and those alone, you're bound to have a curve ball thrown your way. Weights were recently increased for men, so enjoy that if you're going to do one. I'm signed up for 2 sprints, a super and a beast this year. I would HIGHLY recommend getting your back, legs, and arms in killer shape before attempting one. Absolutely get reviews on the terrain of years past as well. Preparation is key for this. I've seen a lot of good racers get knees blown out and end up getting a purple heart instead of a medal due to injury.

I almost forgot, you need shoes that have seriously aggressive tread. Reebok actually makes a shoe specifically for this race and I found that it helped a ton. look into it.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Tagging for all the great info.
  • Bostonsoul
    Bostonsoul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes..finally a topic near to my heart. I just ran the Spartan Beast in Utah a few weeks back. The course itself, the obstacles aren't as tough as the Tough Mudder obsitcles (I blacked out twice) but the actual course itself was very rough. This course has us running up and down an entire mountain twice so the vomiting and the people falling breaking limbs was rampant. The Tough Mudder course I did, well that was 13 miles in the middle of winter, 20 mph winds, 2 feet deep mud, freezing rain, up in the mountains of Utah..that was...well just miserable. I've run a few of these. My next Mudder is this November...I'm stoked for it!
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    *** Hijack ***

I race on a sailboat named Spartan so I keep seeing this thread and thinking "Why is that here?"

NewportSeen_MOYRACE_018.jpg

*** End Hijack ***
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i'm doing my first sprint in December. I'm so excited! I've heard that upper body strength is key, and to run hills.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    If that's you in your avatar, you can finish a Spartan Sprint no problemo.

re: footwear
    I almost forgot, you need shoes that have seriously aggressive tread. Reebok actually makes a shoe specifically for this race and I found that it helped a ton. look into it.

I disagree with this --- I did the Sprint in FiveFingers and loved it. Only time I wished for a heavier sole was on the rope climb.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    If that's you in your avatar, you can finish a Spartan Sprint no problemo.

dats encouraging!

just got New balance mt10 v2 and would use this.. basically a trail running shoe
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    i'm doing my first sprint in December. I'm so excited! I've heard that upper body strength is key, and to run hills.
    :flowerforyou: GL! It looks like its ganna be tons of fun!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yup yup!!!! and muddy. Right up my alley.

Well I hope it's not right up my alley...that would suck.
  • schmidtyNYJ
    Options
    I'm going for my 1st trifect this season as well. Completed the Sprint in PA and registered for the Tri-State Super in NJ and finally the Beast up in Killington VT.

From what I've heard of others who run multiple Sprints the one in PA is one of the toughest, the mountain itself is a huge task plus this year is was 5.5 miles. Although those who ran in the later heats got to run a shortened course, the back up and both the sandbag and bucket brigade caused them to shorten those obstacles.