Calories before or after exercise. Does it matter?

Options
Assuming one consumes the same number of calories in a day, does it make a difference WHEN these are consumed - especially in relation to exercise. For example, if I plan to work out in the evening and have the option (rare, I admit) does it make a difference of I eat my dinner before or after that exercise? Food for thought!!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, no...that said, nutrient timing can impact performance.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    With some possible exceptions for medical conditions or endurance activities (see also: 'bonking'), meal timing is essentially irrelevant.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I disagree entirely with both prior posts. If you work out in a fasted state with no calories a couple hours before working out how is that the same as having eaten a 200 calorie meal before? Does your body not use the most readily energy source available? If this were true and I wholly believe it is, then on an empty stomach your body will go to it's energy reserves for fuel, i.e. stored fat.

After a workout your body is broken down and needs repaired...this is when nutrition is key during the "anabolic window." It will more readily use nutrients it's given to repair itself after a workout. If you eat before then you are priming your body and it will go to that for energy as opposed to your stored fat cells.

I'm sure there will be numerous people who disagree, but you can't argue with results. If nutrient/meal timing impacts performance does that not also impact how those nutrients are used? Or not used?
  • Peaceandwater
    Peaceandwater Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I exercise first and eat after. This is mainly because I can only do certain things (running, yoga...) on an empty stomach. If I try to run (or other high intensity cardio such as Zumba) even an hour or two after I eat I get really intense side cramps. I can only run first thing in the morning before I eat breakfast or right before dinner as long as I didn't have any afternoon snacks or heavy lunch.

If I try to do yoga on a full stomach, I find I just don't get as much out of it in terms of balance, concentration, or stretching. Also, depending on what you eat, there is always the issue of getting gas in a yoga studio (ommm........ whoops) so that's another reason why an empty stomach is preferred.

However when I go hiking it's different. I eat breakfast and then eat small amounts of my lunch as I'm hiking.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I disagree entirely with both prior posts. If you work out in a fasted state with no calories a couple hours before working out how is that the same as having eaten a 200 calorie meal before? Does your body not use the most readily energy source available? If this were true and I wholly believe it is, then on an empty stomach your body will go to it's energy reserves for fuel, i.e. stored fat.

After a workout your body is broken down and needs repaired...this is when nutrition is key during the "anabolic window." It will more readily use nutrients it's given to repair itself after a workout. If you eat before then you are priming your body and it will go to that for energy as opposed to your stored fat cells.

I'm sure there will be numerous people who disagree, but you can't argue with results. If nutrient/meal timing impacts performance does that not also impact how those nutrients are used? Or not used?

http://shreddedempire.com/myth-buster-post-workout-anabolic-window/

http://healthuncut.com/2012/07/the-anabolic-window-is-it-a-myth/
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Interesting...because if the body burns say, 2800 calories per day, it burns 2800 calories per day. If your consumption is less than that, you're going to burn fat regardless of meal timing. Science > Bro-science. Also, the whole anabolic window thing is largely myth.

As I stated previously, there are performance benefits to nutrient timing and I would include post workout recovery nutrition in that context...however, for the average Joe/Jane trying to drop a couple pounds and be a bit more fit, nutrient timing is largely irrelevant. The more vigorous the fitness regimen, the more it matters.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Exercising fasted is usually shown to oxidise more fat over 24h than exercising fed.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Balance, I have a light snack... protein bar, or a protein shake about a 1/2 hour before a work out... in the late afternoon... then a meal about an hour after the workout... IF I don't consume some calories before a workout.. I find that I am just NOT as enthusiastic and will sometimes just not finish my daily plan...

that's me...
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Exercising fasted is usually shown to oxidise more fat over 24h than exercising fed.

How much are we talking here?
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Agreed. Nutrient timing is essential to building muscle. Only those who do not weight train would believe otherwise.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options

http://shreddedempire.com/myth-buster-post-workout-anabolic-window/

http://healthuncut.com/2012/07/the-anabolic-window-is-it-a-myth/

How about we quote some REAL peer review studies and not some bro science opinions.

Timing of postexercise protein intake is important for muscle hypertrophy with resistance training in elderly humans.
    http://jp.physoc.org/content/535/1/301.short

We conclude that early intake of an oral protein supplement after resistance training is important for the development of hypertrophy in skeletal muscle of elderly men in response to resistance training.

Effect of meal frequency and timing on physical performance.
    http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/BJN/BJN77_S12FS0007114597000123a.pdf&code=53af2fa23f683bd85d1724b76fbc7feb

Influence of Nutrition on Responses to Resistance Training
    https://www.purdue.edu/swo/nutrition/KnowItAll/HealthyWeightGain/InfluenceOfNutritionOnWtGain.pdf

Conclusion: Resistance exercise substantially elevates protein turnover and ingestion of essential amino acids before and after exercise stimulates transport of amino acids into skeletal muscle and protein synthesis.