Is it worth buying running trainers to go walking in?

Options
jadejo63
jadejo63 Posts: 136 Member
I don't have any trainers so is it worth buying a pair of running trainers to go walking in? I'm not that fit to run so I will plan on doing walks when I get time, but it may only be once a week sometimes, the only trainers I like are about £50? What would you do?

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    They make walking shoes. I would advise you DON'T buy running shoes that you intend to someday run it, and use them for walking. First off, because running shoes are designed specifically for the running stride. To wear them to walk in will not only not give you the support you need for walking, but will also break down the running shoes as they are not designed to handle the stress of walking (guess which activity puts the most stress on your feet? Walking!). Running shoes are designed to load and unload like a spring during a running stride.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You'll need comfortable shoes for walking. I do buy running shoes and use them both for walking and weight training, and the are expensive, but worth it IMO. If you are planning to only use your shoes for walking, have you tried walking shoes? They are no cheaper than running shoes, but made specifically for walking. I would try both to see which you like best. The cost of comfortable shoes to exercise in is an investment in your health. Good luck with your walking program!
  • jadejo63
    Options
    Thank you both of you :)

These are the ones I like but it doesn't say running or walking so do you think they'd be ok for walking? And comfy? http://shop-uk.lacoste.com/shoes/women/trainers/trainers-l.ightbase-01-/27SPW0123.html?dwvar_27SPW0123_color=84X x
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Thank you both of you :)

These are the ones I like but it doesn't say running or walking so do you think they'd be ok for walking? And comfy? http://shop-uk.lacoste.com/shoes/women/trainers/trainers-l.ightbase-01-/27SPW0123.html?dwvar_27SPW0123_color=84X x

Those are cute! I see people shoes like those to the gym for weight training and the cardio machines. I wouldn't advise you use them for any serious walking, and certainly not for running. What are your arches like? Have you considered going to a running/walking store and having your stride analysed?
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You can walk in running shoes but you can't run in walking shoes. Wether you are walking or running it's still worth getting an assessment done on your running/walking style otherwise you could do some damage to yourself. I use my running shoes for walking, running, gym, weights etc and I notice as soon as they get a 1-2 years old I start getting shin splints etc. Decent footwear is definitely worth the investment.
  • jadejo63
    Options
    Thanks everyone x I can't find any cute / nice walking trainers :( x
  • QuietBloom
    Options

To me, it matters that they work, not so much how the they look. I encourage you to be less fashion conscious when choosing your workout stuff, especially the shoes!

FWIW I think Nike has some nice stuff. Everyone in CA is wearing their flat gym rat shoe. It's quite annoying actually, because I can't afford it. :laugh:
  • kaika_dragon
    kaika_dragon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This may not be the best thing, I dunno. But all my life, I have just walked in whatever my most comfortable pair of shoes is. So, right now I walk in a pair of Teva sandals. In the past I have walked for miles and miles in my mom's old work shoes (looked vaguely like this: http://www.zappos.com/trotters-simmy-sage-veg-tumbled-leather ), in soft flip-flops, in vibram five fingers, in birkenstocks, in crocs... the list goes on and on. I'm broke, and am too hard on shoes to buy expensive walking shoes. I wear them out in three months either way.

So my point is, unless you have particularly tender feet or ankles, the most important thing from my point of view is just that the shoes are comfortable and well broken in. Not what they look like, or what the label says they are for. This is especially true if you aren't going on super long walks. The important part is that they not give blisters or make your feet ache badly. (I'll admit, my feet did sometimes get a bit achy in the arches with flip-flops.)

After ten years of basically walking in whatever shoes I had on hand, how many injuries have I gotten? None. Zero. I have twisted my ankle once in that entire period, and that was while walking barefoot through my house, because my foot had gone to sleep.

So, like I said. I'm not an expert, so take it with a grain of salt. Your body may be different from mine. But I don't think it would be a gigantic issue for you to just get whatever trainers appeal to you, so long as they are comfortable, and fit you well. They are still sneakers.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    What about like a cross training shoe? They're not meant for running beyond maybe a brief warm-up jog or something, but they're a bit more versatile than a walking shoe. If they fit appropriately, they might be a good choice.
  • jadejo63
    Options
    Thanks guys I've decided maybe these will be good http://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/SK521/Skechers-Womens-Go-Walk-Shoes-Hot-Pink what you think? X
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I've decided maybe these will be good http://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/SK521/Skechers-Womens-Go-Walk-Shoes-Hot-Pink what you think? X

That is listed as a 'casual' shoe. It probably won't hold up under regular exercise.

I have wide feet, so I usually buy Brooks brand.

Go to their website they have a 'shoe advisor' questionnaire that suggests shoe models based on your needs.
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options
    IMO Sketchers are junk. They look good but will fall apart within a month. Put your money towards some running shoes, yes you can wear them for walking also. Or try cross trainers like someone else said. I love New Balance and you can find them reasonably priced
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can walk in running shoes but you can't run in walking shoes. Wether you are walking or running it's still worth getting an assessment done on your running/walking style otherwise you could do some damage to yourself. I use my running shoes for walking, running, gym, weights etc and I notice as soon as they get a 1-2 years old I start getting shin splints etc. Decent footwear is definitely worth the investment.

Excellent advice! I work in the shoe industry and have for several years. Don't be afraid to use running shoes for walking, in fact most podiatrist recommend doing exactly that. If you have any issues with your gait (go get a gait analysis at a running shoe store), a running shoe is the best at correcting it. Also they are lighter, more breathable and absorb more shock. That being said I will always recommend you try both a running shoe and a walking shoe. Get what's best for your feet and is the most comfortable for you.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I used to walk 10,000 steps (about 4.5 miles) a day in my most comfortable shoes. Doing that for a year caused severe foot pain that took a long time and a lot of physical therapy to heal. Please use running/walking shoes for walking - they provide the support you need.
  • CABasile
    CABasile Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My son talked me into buying Nike Free Run shoes. Best investment ever! They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I wear them for walking and working out (I don't jog or run). They are expensive, unfortunately, but I found some on clearance online. I think if you check around you can sometimes get "last year's edition" for a better price.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

To me, it matters that they work, not so much how the they look. I encourage you to be less fashion conscious when choosing your workout stuff, especially the shoes!

FWIW I think Nike has some nice stuff. Everyone in CA is wearing their flat gym rat shoe. It's quite annoying actually, because I can't afford it. :laugh:

QFT. I yearn for a pair of funky fun coloured running shoes only it seems the only ones that kept me injury free seem to be the ugliest shoe. On top of that, I tend to buy them on sale which limits my colours. I just scored a pair today half price, the colours are horrible. I've come to accept my running shoes will always be ugly.

Also, the Sketchers Go Walk are fine for casual shoes, I have a pair but I wouldn't recommend them for more serious walking. Then again, I have bad feet.
  • woof19
    woof19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been walking for 10 years, some of it competitively. I would follow the advice below to have someone look at your walking form to make sure whatever shoes they give you would help any pronation issues because even light effort walking, when done for long distances, can tweak your knees pretty bad. Proper support is very important.

If you decide to start walking athletically (in the 15 min/mile or faster), I would highly recommend running shoes. Leather bound mall-walkers or sandals may be comfy, but if you start putting serious distance on your feet, you'll find that breathability and support will be more important than appearance (and even price!). Don't go cheap now and have a price orthopedic bill later!
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've had a good experience with the Sketcher's Go Walk 2 line. They have lace up and slip on. They seem to have a great deal of cushion, but the food bed is firm and not squishy. I can tell a difference in my knees and back, compared to what I used to walk in.

Also, who should be looking at our stride to advise on shoes? Podiatrist? I know all the stores I've been to just seem to employ generic low service/knowledge staff.
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've had a good experience with the Sketcher's Go Walk 2 line. They have lace up and slip on. They seem to have a great deal of cushion, but the food bed is firm and not squishy. I can tell a difference in my knees and back, compared to what I used to walk in.

Also, who should be looking at our stride to advise on shoes? Podiatrist? I know all the stores I've been to just seem to employ generic low service/knowledge staff.

In your area try Road Runner or Red Coyote Running and Fitness. Red Coyote seems to be a new store while Road Runner has probably been there awhile. Gait analysis is best done by someone who's been doing it awhile, I would opt for the more experienced staff if at all possible. And if you really like your Sketchers you would probably be in heaven once you get the shoe that is actually ideal for your feet. Have you been to either of these stores? :)
  • ayron102
    ayron102 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've tried walking a few times in my life. I'd always go a few weeks and then end up with really sore feet. In the end, I bit the bullet and bought some brooks running shoes. So far, so good - more weeks using them than not.

When it comes down to it, if you really pay attention, you can feel the strength of the sides of the shoes, how well they support you, etc - and that's what's made a huge difference to me.